Should essential 5* characters get level boosts?

2»

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Daiches said:
    (since fixing the bug during the running PVE would be tinykitty)
    This is Demiurge we're talking about here.
    Expect this to get fixed mid-sub.

And yeah I suspect a bug too, although there's precedent - Goblin was buffed 100 levels in a Nefarious Foes PVP way back when he was introduced.

5*s were gettign a +100 lvl buff in PvPs for most of a year. It was a very limited selection of them ... Phoenix in Valentine, OML and Phoenix in CoA, and Goblin in Nefarious Foes.

Then, without announcement, the buff was changed to a measly +3%, on a run of Foes ... that I had been racing to champ my newly covered Goblin for  :D

5*s need to have a declining buff. It isn't rocket science, it's only MPQ.

Remember, these devs took years to realize that scaling the PVE enemies from 400 to 450+ wasn't the same as scaling from 350 to 400, but more like scaling them from 400 to 900.

Everything about buffs and characters scaling to higher levels is rocket science for Demiurge.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    For those of us that don't have a lvl 450 5* Roster, what's the damage increase cause by adding 110 lvls?

If every character played simply had their stats increased 2-fold, would it be a problem?

Just trying to understand without Aes' chart in front of me.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those of us that don't have a lvl 450 5* Roster, what's the damage increase cause by adding 110 lvls?

If every character played simply had their stats increased 2-fold, would it be a problem?

Just trying to understand without Aes' chart in front of me.
    The easiest analogy is that 5* scale like the richter earthquake scale. if you consider 450 the base line, a 460 is like 2x the power of a 450, a 470 is like 3x the power of hte 460, a 480, is 4x the power of a 470. by the time you get to 550, SS will have close to 90k health with damage that is expontentially better than the 450 version. AES charts are more accurate and of course reflect the actual damage/health numbers. But if you can imagine a chart of Apple's stock price from 1990 to present day. you would have a close approximation of how 5* scale.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone posted their 462 Surfer stats, boosted.  Red hits for 24359.  Match dmg:  blue 1500, red 1333, black 1166.  Health pool 121558. Blue heals for 35017.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Yeah one of my alliance mates posted a screen shot to our Line chat room of his 600 Silver Surfer. 150K health, 1861 blue, 1654 red, and 1447 black...... Can't wait until Phoenix comes around as required!
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards

I really hope an owner of a 550 Surfer is posting some SCL9 action from this PVE on Youtube. I know they are the extreme edge case, but really now. This isn't a hard excess to correct.

For the record:

Surfer at lv 451

Health: 47838
    Blue: 590
    Red: 525
    Black: 459
    Purpink: 75
    Yellow: 69
    Green: 63

Perfect Being at 5 covers: Heals 13781
    Cosmic Beam at 5 covers: 9587 damage
    Silver Singularity at 5 covers: Deals 8308 damage

Surfer at lv 561

Health: 111678
    Blue: 1378
    Red: 1225
    Black: 1072
    Purpink: 174
    Yellow: 160
    Green: 147

Perfect Being at 5 covers: Heals 32171
    Cosmic Beam at 5 covers: 22379 damage
    Silver Singularity at 5 covers: Deals 19396 damage
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I've got 2 covers for him and stoked that he's buffed. I don't care if 5* champ rosters are knocking me down in placement (I have seven 4* champs) the name of this game is "the stronger roster wins." I'm just happy I can make it through 4 cleats with only one health pac. @Brigby, please thank the devs for boosting the required 5* AND choosing a character that's not in latest
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    The only thing keeping me out of SCL-8 is the lack of anything near a developed 5* roster and not wanting to face that node with (on average) a 1/2/2 character. So I'm all for ridiculously boosted 5*s :smiley:
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    The only thing keeping me out of SCL-8 is the lack of anything near a developed 5* roster and not wanting to face that node with (on average) a 1/2/2 character. So I'm all for ridiculously boosted 5*s :smiley:
    This week's was going to be easy no matter what your SCL was. It's a majority of spell casting NPCs with Strange being boosted. 4* blade is also boosted and those two together destroy things.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Tee said:
    This week's was going to be easy no matter what your SCL was. It's a majority of spell casting NPCs with Strange being boosted. 4* blade is also boosted and those two together destroy things.
    I know, I've used those to great advantage for myself in the past. Right now, my go-to is 4* Rocket and Groot, 4* Gamora, and Medusa. Even not boosted, they put out so much match damage and with Gamora's cheap stun it makes it very easy to kill off the NPCs before their CDs expire.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    So, what I'm hearing is that there is not a second inflection point that increases the rate of the multiplier further at the highest 5* levels. I get that it's exponential, but the effect of this boost should seem natural to anyone with champed 4*s.

My lvl 255 surfer does 2X base damage while someone else's lvl 550 Surfer does 2X the max champ damage. While its impressive that there's a 20-fold difference between those numbers, it seems fair to me.

For SCL9 this is a reasonable boost, IMO. Some people are going to be begging for SCL10 due to the boost, though. I hope they don't have wait 2 years for it.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, what I'm hearing is that there is not a second inflection point that increases the rate of the multiplier further at the highest 5* levels. I get that it's exponential, but the effect of this boost should seem natural to anyone with champed 4*s.

My lvl 255 surfer does 2X base damage while someone else's lvl 550 Surfer does 2X the max champ damage. While its impressive that there's a 20-fold difference between those numbers, it seems fair to me.

For SCL9 this is a reasonable boost, IMO. Some people are going to be begging for SCL10 due to the boost, though. I hope they don't have wait 2 years for it.
    Really this is more about setting up the boost levels for scl10.

the 100 level pve boost, means that 450 5* rosters will play scl9, like they did in scl8 (with unboosted 5*).  But based on potential scl10 scaling (where the avg enemy team will finish around 550)  a 550 5* will be required to keep clear times in the 1hr timeframe.

480+ rosters who are boosted to the 600 range will probably complete scl10 in the sub 40min time frame.

Of course it goes without saying that 100 level 5* boosts is fine and reasonable for PVE,  but would be absurd in a PVP context.

• aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor

Uh, no, no additional inflection point needed. It's nutty enough as is!

A 20x increase is "fair"? It certainly is generous. The worry is producing MPQ content that fits such wide ranges. Below is a plot of match dmg. 5* match dmg is double that of lower rarities; abilities (generally) follow a similar curve. You can see the difference in altitude between the various milestones.

They rolled out a significant increase in difficulty with SCL9, which also means increased time required for all but the strongest roster. For players with the anointed 5* champed, this 5* buff unwinds that increase. If you don't have the 5* or don't have it leveled, it's no help at all.

My initial take on SCL9 was, "Rewards at the top are better, but overall not worth it unless playing for top placement". If just farming the event, it takes twice the time for a marginal increase in pay. Now, if this buff is a thing, then SCL9 is worth it. Great, I guess ... until I try for placement LOL

And now what will SCL 10 look like? Enemies scaled to 600? 630? Even higher? It will have to go that high to present any kind of challenge to the game's strongest rosters. The rewards will also have to be very sweet to get them to play there. If it does scale that high, it will be very painful for those with "merely" champed 5*s.

10 is the final SCL, so it should be the ultimate challenge, sure. Think about where the max level enemy from each SCL falls on this plot.

And if these huge buffs are to be available (as if the buffs on 4s weren't big enough...) will strong rosters 'slumming' in lower SCLs be addressed? And if so, how?

Stay tuned, as the MPQ turns ....

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I can't speak for you guys with crazy level Surfers (and that chart above is crazy scary) but this definitely had a big effect. All of a sudden my 0/2/0 Surfer has 23k health or so and as I play the 5* nodes to the point where the 5* dies, that made a huge difference as I was able to clear 4 rounds with Surfy still surfing. It wont affect placement too much for me but my progression just got a hell of a lot easier, those points where I do have the 5* are gonna rack up.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    ursopro said:
    lvl 660 SS stats ...

Tasty LOL

See, add another hundred levels and everything doubles again!

The level 515 goons on the 1st sub's 5* node have something like 80K health IIRC.

I suppose in SCL10 we'll be facing lvl 640s and all will be well again.
    More than doubles. 2.33x. That's nuts.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    If SCL10 came out and gave 4*s out to the T500 and up and had 2 or 3 4* in progression I would jump to it in a heartbeat even if it was tougher/too tough at times.  As long as the progression rewards are noticeably better and I don't feel like I'm losing much/anything if I place like tinykitty I'm fine having a rough go of it.  

That being said I haven't actually even tried SCL9 yet because there's no compelling reason to, which is the main problem with slumming it even more than the levels IMO.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    lvl 660 pp numbers