aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum post.

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nice post! I can't remember all the details but here goes. 

Silver Surfer - level 461 (completed with classics only after BB is out....i can't really remember.)

OML - level 454 (completed with classics after SS. i had 7 dup red black oml covers which made me very sad. )

Phx - level 451 (completed with classics after OML)

Dr Strange - 452 (completed with latest only and i spent a number of starks chasing him.)

Thanos - 459 (completed with latest only, was fortunate enough that while chasing strange, i got sufficient covers for thanos)

BP - 457 (completed with latest only, similar to thanos was fortunate enough to champ him with latest while chasing strange)

IM46 - 453 (completed with a mixture of latest and classics and BH. I had him around 8 covers before he went into classics. after that i just got lucky with only 2 dup covers)

Steve Rogers - 451 (completed with a mixture of latest and classics. i had him around 7 covers before he went into classics.)

Black Suit Spidey - 451 (completed with a mixture of latest and classics. i had him around 9 covers when he went into classics)

Starlord - 451 after i put iso in him. (completed with only latest. this was pure luck as i pulled a lot of his cover with latest LT. i didn't even try to use cp to pull him)

GG - 450 after i put iso in him (completed with latest and classics. i had him at around 9 covers before he went into classics. wasted around 4 purple dup covers).

Ock - 3/3/5 
    Hawkeye - 4/4/3 (received 3 BH for him)
    Widow - 5/3/2
    Hulk - 5/2/1
    BB - 2/2/0
    Spidey - 2/0/2
    DD - 0/0/1

• Angjo
    Angjo Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Well now I'm just depressed - coming up for his second birthday and my OML is still missing any red covers at all, luxuriating in his 5/5/0 build 
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Day 1348 and I have just leveled my 7 cover OML to 360. Only Hawkeye comes close to that with 6 covers and leveled to 345.

I generally have 1-3 covers of every 5*, but I don't use them, because 4*s outshine them.

Until 5* characters get boosts, like 4*s, they'll take 2 years to be "useful" to me. We were told they would be useful at one cover.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RNGesus is RNGesus. I'm a bit of a ridiculous case, I suspect. Tinykitty luck is a terrible way to determine progression.

Day 1330. Play nearly all events to cp progression and t100 or better placement. Constant vip, occasional buyer and CS harasser (got one classic swap). Bought mainly classics but usually make a few pulls on special stores and latests when I feel like it.

Numbered in order of champing / rostering :
    Original 3 (dupes here exist because I did not want to enter 5* land.) 
    1 Oml L466 
    2 Phx L459 (2/2/1) 
    3 SS L464 (0/1/1)

Covered via latest with minor cp supplementation just before they left latest
    4 Black Bolt L455 
    5 Widow L454 (2 swaps) 
    8 5trange L453 (+2 BH) 

From classics plus resupply
    All dupes here were received in a 2 month period
    6 IM46 L456 
    7 BSS L454 
    9 Cap L453 (+1 NMG token)  (+3 dupe red, 1 swapped) 
    12 Banner L452 (+ 1 NMG token) (+1 dupe purple) 
    14 GG L453 (actually completed much earlier but not champed until after 14th cover) 

Mix of latests with cp
    10 Thanos L455 (1 swap) (+2 BH)
    11 BP L453 (2 swaps) 
    13 Hawkeye L455 (4 swaps) (+1 BH) 
    15 Doc Ock L452
    16 Starlord L451 (1 swap) (+2BH) (last cover drawn 2.5h before DD entering latest) 
    Spidey 2/3/5 (1 swap) 
    DD 0/0/1
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did fairly poorly with 5*s when the % was 10 - I think based on my tracker I was down about 7 5* pulls.  I didn't have any fully covered until late last year.

Black Bolt was my first 5* - I drew well out of him from tokens so I decided to devote my CP to Latest.  Honestly, that's what I probably should have been doing all along - it's tough to complete 5*s out of Classics.  At that point going forward I only drew from Classics when there was the possibility a Latest draw would force me to champ a 5* (generally a handful of draws when one was going to rotate out.)

I then drew the next lot of 5*s off of tokens and CP - Widow, Strange, Hawkeye, and Panther all finished in time for them to be rotated out.  One of my Classic runs gave me a 4/4/4 OML - I got his daily reward yellow cover the day he was nerfed.  Unfortunate timing but whatever.

I was unlucky on Star Lord - when it was clear that my chances of finishing him were pretty low, I switched to Classics with CP but still pulled my tokens

I just completed Silver Surfer by a lucky random chance last week - I had a black cover going to expire for him (he was 3/4/5) and I drew a red cover about 3 hours before it actually expired.  I'm still drawing the actual LTs, my Spidey is 3/4/3, my Doc Ock is 5/2/3, and my Daredevil is 1/1/1

As for my other classics, my Phoenix is 5/3/3 and I've drawn two extra green for her.  My Hulk is a awful 4/5/1 (and I just drew the purple a few weeks ago - what's the point of a Banner with anger management?)  Cap is 5/2/1, and everyone else is 6 covers or less.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All of my 5*s are level 255.
    My best is joint Silver Surfer and Jean Grey at 11 covers each. I own all of them except Daredevil.

I really don't care about them much. Which is a shame because I'd really like to care about Black Widow or Jean Grey or Hawkeye. But I'm still enjoying making my 4*s useful and 5*s seem like such a detriment to the game in PvP despite the huge investment.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From the various stories, it is clear that the best way to champ a 5* is during the period in which it is in the Latest. Which is the typical advice to people entering 5* land. Hoard and go for the Latest 3 5*. 

However, at some point in time for the 5* land, the situation is reversed and Classic becomes the better option. When someone has a broad range of champ 5*, classics becomes a better deal as it is 20% cheaper. Which means you can pull more 4* and 5*, get more chances for BH and fatten up your 5* champ level.

For example, i have 10 champ 5*, 1 max covered (which needs some iso love). when i pull classics, I have 11/15 chance of pulling a useful champ level. I think those are good odds. 

For Dr TinyKitty Love, her odds are even better, as she has 15/15 champs 5* for classics 5*. Any 5* she pulled is going to be useful. It makes sense for her to be pulling classics solely with her CP.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When the 5*s came out, I had fantastic luck with OML, champing him fairly quickly.  Surfer was max covered soon after, but I didn't champ him because I was worried about MMR.  When the great ISO bonus for Shield ranks came, I champed Surfer and took Black-Suit Spidey to level 420.  Those were my 3 main characters for a long time.

I started hoarding and spent it all to champ Thanos, Panther and Hawkeye.  After that I went back to Classics and was able to finish IM46.

So that's where I am now, 6 champs, 2 at 12 covers, 1 at 11 covers, and the rest further back.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When Phoenix was released I pulled 11 covers for her fast to a 3/3/5 build, then about a week before the very first run of civil war I stopped pulling her. She went to classic and I spent A LOT of cp chasing those last 2 covers. Finally champed her due to the classic odds mixup, after selling a couple red covers over the 1.5 years. Now I have Thanos (thank you cosmic vault) fully covered. And I covered Banner on classic odds day also. I have a 4/4/4 Ock, a 5/5/2 IM, and a 5/2/5 DrS. I have at least 4 covers for the rest. I'm going to champ Thanos and Banner. Outright buy the last covers for IM and DrS. Then keep hitting latest to cover Ock, Spidey (4/4/1), and DD (2/1/1). The rest can wait.......
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Two years later for me:

One max covered 5 is jean that I only recently finished with a lucky purple for my 5/2/5 then pulled a green that I rerostered.

My next highest is cap at 5/5/1 and 10 cover Banner.

Then 9 covers Bolt and 8 covers for GG and SL.

Besides that everyone else ranges from six to two covers.

Granted my OML, GG, SS, and bssm would be higher if I hadn't sold some of their covers during their releases cause back then my roster couldn't handle the effects of having multiple 5s on my roster. Still they would only be in the low 9s right now regardless.

I've always been a non-hoarder and pull from classics except for when I get a latest LT.

Real question is when are odds goi ng to be increased orb we get a legit 5 star token. At a certain number of 5s, one of those options has to become a reality. This just current set-up can't continue once we reach 20 or so 5s, especially given the new 5 star node in pve.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll provide a point of view from a slightly different perspective - while I have been around for a long time (day 1408 - cool, just like the creepy Stephen King story), I typically just do the following:
    1. DDQ
    2. Hit 575 in PvP for the CP
    3. Play PvE enough to earn the 4* prog cover. If I don't need/want it, I don't bother, beyond fiddling in a few nodes to get intercept rewards.
    Here's my 5* lineup (all level 255 - I doubt I'll ever level any 5*)

OML: 3/1/3
    Steve: 3/1/0
    Spider-Man Black: 2/2/0
    Hulk: 0/3/0
    Thanos: 1/2/1
    BW: 2/0/1
    Hawkeye: 1/2/0
    BP: 2/0/0
    Goblin: 2/0/0
    BB: 1/1/1
    Stange: 1/1/1
    Jean: 1/1/1
    DD: 1/0/0
    Spider-Man Parker: 0/1/0

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been considering putting out a guide to getting 5*s, but I don't know if my experiences are typical enough.  Anyway, I got there by drawing Latest exclusively - if you get enough draws per day from playing (I think I get a bit over two on average, I can take the number apart at some point,) any particular character stays in the "Latest" pool long enough for you to theoretically cover them.  The key point is "enough draws per day."

The downside to this, of course, is you're getting less draws than you would otherwise since the cost in CP Is higher.  Tokens are still tokens, but your CP nets you 20% less draws (so 20% less covers in both 4* and 5*.)  Is that significant?  Yes, it is, I looked at my CP draws a week ago and determined I'd missed out on something like 80 draws - so that's 80 levels spread over my 4* roster and 12 5* covers.  That being said, I think it's worth having eight fully covered and leveled 5*s.  Since I did the math and Star Lord didn't look likely, I went to using CP for classics but still opening my Tokens (my Ock is 10 levels, I may was well try to finish him.)  I could have just as easily decided to hoard everything, though.

Classics level your existing 5*s and help you finish your older ones, sure, but I suspect the only way to reliably cover a particular 5* is to hit them when they're in Latest.  If they stop doing the cover swaps, that strategy may change....
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Day 1387 here.  I mostly ignore PVP, but I'm always top 50-100 in PVE, max progression.  I've made no explicit effort to move to 5*, so I've exclusively pulled classics.  At some point during vaulting, I had all 4*s in latest covered, so I decided to hoard.  As a result, I haven't pulled a classic/latest token in 4 or 5 months.  I've had little luck building 5*s with classics only prior to that.  Here's my pathetisad 5* roster:

OML 4/1/1
    PHX 3/1/1
    SS 2/3/3
    BSS 3/2/2
    Cap 2/3/0
    GG 1/3/1
    Thanos 3/1/1
    BB 2/2/1
    BW 1/1/2
    Hulk 2/1/1
    BP 0/1/2
    IM 2/0/0
    Hawkeye 0/1/1
    Strange 0/0/1

No luck in classics here. :(

• rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Options

I've been playing for 1288 days, according to my S.H.I.E.L.D. Resupply. Not a big spender by any means. I don't know all the details as to when I champed or what not, but here's my progress with the details I can remember:

CHARACTER

VARIANT

RELEASE DATE

Silver Surfer
    Level 465
    First champed 5*
    Skyrider 9/4/2015
    Wolverine
    4 covers, 0/2/2 after selling off an unchamped
    one with more covers when nerfed
    And yes, I regret it
    Old Man Logan 10/5/2015
    Jean Grey
    Level 453
    Most recent champed
    Phoenix 11/2/2015
    Spider-Man
    11 covers, 3/3/5
    Back in Black 1/13/2016
    Green Goblin
    9 covers, 3/2/4
    Norman Osborn 2/18/2016
    Iron Man
    8 covers, 5/2/1
    Mark XLVI 4/28/2016
    Steve Rogers
    7 covers, 4/2/1
    First Avenger 4/28/2016
    Hulk, The
    8 covers, 2/3/3
    Bruce Banner 7/5/2016
    Black Bolt
    6 covers, 2/0/4
    Blackagar Boltagon 7/29/2016
    Black Widow
    Level 458
    First champed when switching to pulling only latest
    Natasha Romanoff 9/2/2016
    Doctor Strange
    Level 452
    11 pulls from latest, 2 from classics
    Sorcerer Supreme 11/1/2016
    Thanos
    Level 460
    Champed from latest
    Mad Titan 12/22/2016
    Black Panther
    Level 457
    Champed from latest
    Civil War 2/2/2017
    Hawkeye
    Level 451
    Champed from latest
    Clint Barton 3/9/2017
    Star-Lord
    9 covers, 3/4/2
    Brought to level 315 for Venom Bomb
    Awesome Mix Volume 2 4/27/2017
    Doctor Octopus
    6 covers, 3/2/1
    Classic 6/1/2017
    Spider-Man
    10 covers, 1/4/5
    Peter Parker 7/7/2017
    Daredevil
    1 cover, 0/0/1
    Matt Murdock 8/24/2017
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Day 1315ish, give or take a couple.

Surfer - Lvl 455, first champ, during 3rd anniversary.  Sold 3-4 previous.
    OML - Level 453, 2nd champ, same time
    PHX - 5/4/0.  Really 13/3/0, one color swap. Hindsight shoulda got a red instead of 4th purple.  Didn't think I'd be 0 for 2 years.
    BSSM - 5/4/0.  What purple?
    Goblin - 3/3/2.  
    IM46 - 5/2/5
    Cap - 3/2/2   Started hoarding around here.
    Hulk - 2/1/0 
    Bolt - 3/5/2  
    Widow - 2/2/0
    Strange - Level 451.  This trio is where I started breaking the hoard, but ended up saving for the next two.
    Thanos - Level 453
    Panther - Level 460.  Rained Panther covers while chasing Thanos
    Hawkeye - 5/5/2.  Came up short with the hoard.
    Starlord - Level 450.  Took a BH to finish
    Doc- 2/3/2.   These are all HE covers that I didn't get.
    Parker 1/1/3.  So are these, but I'll finish Parker when Doc goes away.
    Daredevil 0/0/0.  Currently hoarding.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I started playing in March 2016 when there were 5 5*s.  Since there was no in game explanation of how scaling worked it wasn't long before I pulled some 5*s (SS & BSSM) and my scaling got pretty hard.  It was probably 2 months later I found the forums and found out the 5*s were killing my scaling.  My SS had 5 covers at this point so I didn't sell him, but I did sell a 2 cover'd BSSM and saw little improvement because my roster was already past the hump where 255-270 was a problem.

Today I have only 2 5* with more than 6 covers:
    Thanos 5/4/3 (L319)
    BP 5/4/2 (L255)

This was pretty much all luck.  I got a ton of Thanos covers off good RNG during his solo vault while the Mad Titan DDQ was giving out daily covers. I think he was 3/1/3 at the end of that already.  The rest of the Thanos & BP covers largely came a few weeks back when a bug threw was giving out better odds on 5*s.  I pulled 5 covers for each that day along with a lot of other 5*s.  I plan to level them both to L360 when I stop drowning in 4*s to champ before vine covers expire.

Other 5*s:
    Silver Surfer 2/1/3 (L270, leveled in the noob days, all below are still L255)
    Black Bolt 3/0/3
    Black Widow 2/1/3
    Hulk 2/3/0
    Phoenix 1/3/1
    Strange 2/2/1
    Hawkeye 1/2/2
    OML 0/0/3
    Cap 1/2/1
    Star-Lord 0/1/2
    Goblin 0/0/2
    IM 0/2/0
    BSSM 1/1/1

All 3 latest 0/0/0

I'm currently working up to a 300 pull of latest (at about 170 right now, expect to be able to pull late Nov. or early Dec).  At that time I hope to get a BP to finish of Thanos and have 4 5*s to start my transition with.  I'm really hoping I can make my pull before 5pidey leaves.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Day 613, my results aren't going to be similar to the people around since the start, but I do play every PVE to progression (usually top 100) and recently have been going to 575+ in PVP, so I'm getting decent CP.

Star-Lord: level 451
    Silver Surfer: 3/2/3
    The Hulk: 4/2/1
    Thanos: 2/2/2
    Green Goblin: 2/1/2
    Old Man Logan: 4/1/0
    Black Bolt: 2/3/0
    Black Widow: 1/1/2
    Spider-Man: 3/1/0
    Doctor Octopus: 0/3/1
    Doctor Strange: 0/2/1
    Jean Grey: 2/0/1
    Iron Man: 0/2/1
    Steve Rogers: 1/0/2
    Black Suit Spider-Man: 1/0/2
    Daredevil: 1/0/1
    Black Panther: 0/0/2
    Hawkeye: n/a

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So when 5*s came out, and I was in 3* land, so they were just shiney baubles to look at, so I spent all my tokens and Cp as they came in.
    Silver Surfer  3/2/5

Then somehow I'd gathered like 7 OML covers (Black Bolt was probably out by this time), and conventional wisdom was that putting iso into him wouldn't hurt scaling, so I took him to 360, and used him when I only had 1 good boosted 4* for pvp, and it was good.
    OML 3/4/3

Scaling wasn't bad, mmr was good and 900 was often.
    Phoenix 4/3/2

But my 4* champ roster grew thanks to all my Cp going into classics as I continued to build my 4*s and the old man became superfluous to requirements.
    Spiderman (BiB) 4/3/5

5*s trickled in slowly
    Green Goblin 2/2/2
    Iron Man 2/2/2
    Captain America 2/2/3

Horror stories were everywhere out what a champ 5* roster went through
    Banner 3/2/3

And conventional wisdom was that if you want to break into 5* land, you've gotta hoard
    Black Bolt 2/3/0

I hate hoarding, life's too short.
    Black Widow 2/0/4

And life was good in 4* land, why should I care about joining the whales higher up?
    Dr Strange 1/3/2

Why? Thanos. In the first half of his release block, I was going though a sweet Patch of LT and CP from champ rewards, and I'd managed to get him half covered, so I went for it, and started spending all my Cp on Latests, and I got him!
    Thanos 453

And then Panther was in touching distance, so I stayed on Latests only, and I got him too!
    Black Panther 451

But champing them both was brutal, chasing down the iso, and I had a number of classics with 8/9/10/11 covers, so why not go back there. So I missed out on Hawkeye.
    Hawkeye 4/0/3

Between pulling more Banner covers than anyone else, my first useless 5* cover (Bib Spidey) and the dilution, I knew Latests were the way forward for me, particularly when Star Lord got 5 in one colour early doors - in classics, he was destined to cause me grief, so I got him
    Star Lord 5/3/5

Then Doc Ock was well under way, so why the heck not
    Doc Ock 451

Here I stand, with weeks left till he spins out, and I'm pulling fo Spidey now, as, well, I hate hoarding (did I mention that yet)
    Spiderman 2/4/3

So until something changes, it's Latests for me
    Daredevil 1/1/1

I normally play to progression in Pve, and since Panthos went live for me, 1200 in pvp. All those 3* prizes in top 25 pvp has helped drive the CP/LT bus.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A bit late to the party on this, but here is where I am on day 1100ish

SS: 5/3/5 (after a CS swap) thank you very lucky cosmic token pulls
    OML: 1/4/0 (used extensively for grinding pre-nerf, effectively dead since then)
    Phoenix: (5/2/3) so close, but unusable with 2 purple, unlikely to finish unless 5* roster progression improves. too bad too, 2/5/3 would have been useful in 4* land.
    BSS: 2/2/1 trivial use only; will never be finished
    GG: 2/3/0 trivial use only; will never be finished.
    Cap: 3/2/2 likely never finished
    IM46: 4/2/4 close enough that I feel really irritated that I will likely never finish him
    Banner: 3/1/3 these covers won't help me much when he is eventually buffed, and they sure would have been nice on IM46. . .
    BB: 2/0/1 this just breaks my heart
    Widow: 3/5/3 I probably will get there eventually, but too late to use her much as she will be old and weak when the 5* tier fills
    Strange: 5/3/5 @451 My first fully covered 5*!
    thanos 5/5/3 @400 Will be my third 5* champ soon
    BP: 1/5/4, 0/1/0 **** you RNG!
    Hawkeye: 5/5/3 @453 My first 5* champ
    Star Lord: 2/1/2 MAybe I could have finished him, but I was hoarding to avoid doc
    Doc OC: 0/0/0  I think this remains his best build, but demi is determined to prove me wrong with the 5* essential nodes
    Spiderman: 0/1/0 was hoarding for him, but not sure if I will have enough before he leaves the pool
    Daredevil: 0/0/0 Still waiting to open the hoard. . .

Clearly I had a nice run from october 2016 through May 2017 and was able to cover or mostly cover 5 consecutive 5*s.  during that period I played PVE to max prog most events, and PVP to 900 about 3/4 of the   I am not sure if my results wereluck on top of hard grinding, or if I just played enough during that stretch to keep pace with the 5* release rate.  Also, RNG only progression is awful when you get useless 6th covers and terrible luck on the most important characters (*cough* BB *cough*)
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ok, I'm an above average player. I place top 100 every event, my alliance places top 100 every event, and I have every champion in the game (with the exception of useless 1*). I have every 2 maxed and a healthy farm of doubles on rotation. I have every 3* championed and 3 maxed out so far. I have all but 16 4 stars champed, none maxed.

Where am I supposed to find ISO8 for 5 stars? I have some with 10 covers, but none over level 300. Even with being a VIP member and playing every event I have no ISO8 left to level up the 5 stars.

I find it hard to believe that the majority of players have any champed 5 stars, let alone enough to make a 5 star required node feasible.