Question: Why is the general consensus that we need 3 5* champions to start the 5* transition?

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
Is this based on the old PVE roster scaling?
In PVP we have to play with a 3* character so shouldn't we just need two 5*?
Am I missing more here or not asking the right questions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    Is this based on the old PVE roster scaling?
    In PVP we have to play with a 3* character so shouldn't we just need two 5*?
    Am I missing more here or not asking the right questions?

Thanks in advance!
    SHIELD Simulator,
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can get by with 2 5*.  But the third gives you alot of options to ensure 5*match damage and some ways to counter combos.

2 is bare minimum
    3 gives some variety and ways to get 5* match on all colors.
    4 - 8 is where you can build real diversity and flexibility.
    --  You can build combos around attack types, match damage, passives.  There is a great variety of 5* chars and powers.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some 4s are more usable with 5s than others. Miles is great for making webs to boost Spidey. Carol is great for any 5 that uses its strongest match color. Cloak and Dagger provides a healthier option to produce black for OML. Coulson/Hawkeye remains not just a fun pair, but a dangerous one since it can spiral out of control even on defense.
    This trio could work well if you only Champ 1 5*: Spiderman (Peter Parker), Miles Morales, Vulture. You'll have to heal Spidey every now and then, but with Vulture airborne more often then not, Miles invisible, and both of them feeding AP to Spidey, it could get pretty wild. And naturlly, the Coulson/Hawkeye/Carol trio works too. Generally speaking though, you don't want to move into 5s with only one option.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Thanks all! Looks like I will need to go the high leveled 4* route for awhile. My next closest 5* are SS (8 covers), Banner (7), Thanos (6),  and BB & OML (5). 

Edit: "high level" 4* for me isn't as described above though. I need to get them to 300 first lol
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    You just champed your first, right? Star-lord? I just recently champed Phoenix as my only one. My best 4* is Coulson at 310, Medusa next at 301. 6 in the 290s and every other champ 272-289. I still do fine in Versus. Honestly, I don't use Phoenix in Sim much. Though Phoenix, 4* Cyclops, 4* Blade is quite fun- lots of red generation and the ability to collect it en masse. But, my Medusa/Carnage/Iceman team is better. With Starlord though Sim would probably be fun with Starlord/R4G/Medusa, have fun with your new shiny this season!!!!

But be careful in 3* required events, anything that isn't Panthos is a target...............
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Frankly, I've had the opinion for awhile, and the recent changes just cemented it, that the only 5* that matters is Thanos. If you have a few others, you might get along ok in PvP, but he's literally the only character that matters in PvE. So I'd consider that when you decide whether to wade into 5* land or not. 
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    one 5* is ok if u have the true healing ones.  my first 5* ws surfer and i enjoyed using him since he could true heal, create charge tiles, and generate AP via black hole.

2 5* champ im getting the hang of.   m just lucky i got ironman coz surfer is team ironman.  so these 2 plus a 3* team ironman character like rags meant a really strong red attack (25k damage) which is surfers weakness (not having a strong nuke).  at this point im still able to see teams other than panthos who i skip in general.  

in summary i think u gotta take into consideration who ur 1st 5* will be.  if its juust starlord, banner, or doc ock, i suggest waiting 1st.