5 Star exchange - Cosmic Legends - denied due to coming from classic legends

Splurch
Splurch Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
I got my 6th Thanos green cover from classic legends a bit ago and contacted support about exchanging it for a different color that I could use. They refused, citing "Unfortunately, we are only offering a comic cover exchange service for 5-star characters who are currently in the Latest Legends Legendary Recruit Token pack."

Then the Cosmic Legends covers came out and I thought to myself, ok, Ill get this exchanged then try to go after more cosmic legends, I might actually make meaningful progress on a 5 star. They responded with "We apologize for any inconvenience; however, because the duplicate Thanos (The Mad Titan) Come And Get Me! (Green) was received from Classic Legends and not from Cosmic Legends, it does not qualify for this exchange service."

Really kills any interest in playing anything other than the taco dailies for me. I've been making great progress on my 4 star roster this year and have several 5's in the 5/x/x category. Having to burn a 5 star cover just feels like a massive setback, especially when RNG means it's likely to happen again.

Thought I'd at least post for anyone who encounters this from a Cosmic token, it sounds like they're willing to do an exchange if the cover comes from there, assuming they don't change things arbitrarily.

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    They also won't exchange a cover from an LT if it's for a second rostered version of the 5* character if your first one isn't max champed. I have two Peter Parkers, one champed, one at 5/2/3. I got a 6th blue I wanted to exchange for one of the other colors but they won't because my first one isn't maxed. 

These policies are so goofy sometimes.
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    The policy seems pretty simplistic, right or wrong.  If you pay 25CP and get a 5-star you have no possibility of using, they'll exchange it.  If you didn't pay that, or have the ability to make use of it, they won't.*

* With the constant caveat that if you've spent a cash-filled dump-truck on the game, they'll make many exceptions to the simplistic rule set forth above. 
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    $$$$$$$$$$
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    They also won't exchange a cover from an LT if it's for a second rostered version of the 5* character if your first one isn't max champed. I have two Peter Parkers, one champed, one at 5/2/3. I got a 6th blue I wanted to exchange for one of the other colors but they won't because my first one isn't maxed. 

How in the world did you end up with 10 extra covers before champing?
    Or, if you're not using the covers for champ levels on purpose... why in the world are you doing that?
    Those champ rewards are crazy good.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:

Why the hell are you making a second Peter Parker?!?! Is the first one allready lvl 550?...
    I doubt it.....
    Like Bowgentle said the champ rewards are pretty good for 5*
  • Borstock
    Bowgentle said:
    Borstock said:

Or, if you're not using the covers for champ levels on purpose... why in the world are you doing that?
    Because I got almost all of them before they made the permanent change to SCL-based scaling in PvE. I don't have 2 other 5* characters I can champ, so if I had just champed Peter, I would have tinykitty'd myself in PvP and PvE. I only got two of them since, and by that time I already had 8 on a second Peter.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Borstock said:

I don't find that response goofy at all.  They are trading unusable 5* covers.  Assuming you're first 5pidey isn't max champed, then the 5* cover is usable as a champ level.  If your 5pidey is max champed, first off wow.  Second that makes it seem a little more goofy.  However, if that's the case I assume the expectation is for you to start you're dup sooner, which is posted all over these forums for recommendations on lower level champs.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    I sympathize.  I've burned 5 Hawkeye Blue so far.  The last one was a real kick in the teeth.  It came as a bonus hero from a Doc Oc cover.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Borstock said:

Because I got almost all of them before they made the permanent change to SCL-based scaling in PvE. I don't have 2 other 5* characters I can champ, so if I had just champed Peter, I would have tinykitty'd myself in PvP and PvE. I only got two of them since, and by that time I already had 8 on a second Peter.
    Pass that luck onto roguewookie. Dude is hurting for a 5*.

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Borstock said:

I would definitely be exhausting all options trying to get that dupe changed to champ levels for my original, rather than what you're doing. All those covers came from Latest Legends, so they should still qualify, based on their policy... no matter what your reason for rostering the character twice.
  • Bowgentle
    Beer40 said:
    Borstock said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Borstock said:

I would definitely be exhausting all options trying to get that dupe changed to champ levels for my original, rather than what you're doing. All those covers came from Latest Legends, so they should still qualify, based on their policy... no matter what your reason for rostering the character twice.
    Nope.
    Once you roster a cover, you can't swap it.
    That's just how it works.

He made the decision to not champ his Spidey, it's a good thing he has to live with the consequences now.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I wonder if the cover is marked, or if they're simply going off of the expiration date of the cover.  Probably the latter - the only covers that seem to be marked anymore are ones from Bonus Heroes.

It's a shame they won't trade it, but we were told they would trade for covers derived from "Cosmic Tokens," so the fact that they won't isn't inconsistent, at least.

• Bowgentle
    GrimSkald said:

I wonder if the cover is marked, or if they're simply going off of the expiration date of the cover.  Probably the latter - the only covers that seem to be marked anymore are ones from Bonus Heroes.

It's a shame they won't trade it, but we were told they would trade for covers derived from "Cosmic Tokens," so the fact that they won't isn't inconsistent, at least.

They're 100% marked internally.
    BH is the only marker they let us see, there's got to be other markers that aren't shown.
  • Borstock
    edited September 2017
    broll said:
    Borstock said:

I don't find that response goofy at all.  They are trading unusable 5* covers.  Assuming you're first 5pidey isn't max champed, then the 5* cover is usable as a champ level.  If your 5pidey is max champed, first off wow.  Second that makes it seem a little more goofy.  However, if that's the case I assume the expectation is for you to start you're dup sooner, which is posted all over these forums for recommendations on lower level champs.
    Except that when I started on the second Spidey, champing him would have destroyed my gameplay experience. If you consider that usable, fine. I don't. I also don't think I should be penalized for devoting a second roster slot to the character. I did what they wanted. I used 25 cps, instead of the 20, to open the only type of token they've said they'd ever be willing to swap. Now that PvE scaling is SCL based, why should they care that I've capped him?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Splurch

That really sucks, sorry to hear. But, join the club. I've sold 2 Phoenix red before I finally finished and champed her, a Thanos green and 2 purple, a IM46 red and blue, and 2 BB yellow. It sucks, but nothing we can do about it......
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    I have sold 9 green Black Bolt covers since he left the later pack....he is sitting on my bench at 5-1-2
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    broll said:
    Borstock said:

Except that when I started on the second Spidey, champing him would have destroyed my gameplay experience. If you consider that usable, fine. I don't. I also don't think I should be penalized for devoting a second roster slot to the character. I did what they wanted. I used 25 cps, instead of the 20, to open the only type of token they've said they'd ever be willing to swap. Now that PvE scaling is SCL based, why should they care that I've capped him?
    From what I've read from multiple people champing a single 5* shouldn't destroy you, 2 is usually where things break without a third.

Regardless my point was more that I think your action was the less standard practice, not theirs.  I'm genuinely sorry you lost out because of it.  It would be much better if they built something into the game vs having players rely on word of mouth practices like this can be miss-understood.
  • Borstock
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I mean, it's not killing me. Goodness knows I've sold my fair share of 5* covers, just like everybody else. I wouldn't have even brought it up, except the OP made this post, and it seemed like a parallel in my mind. I guess I just find the policy a bit strange. I have the character in a roster slot, his blue is at 5, I drew the ex cover from the LT, I thought I was good. Been playing for over 2 years and this is the first time I've ever even asked.

Oh well.
  • Borstock
    Borstock said:
    Yeah, I mean, it's not killing me. Goodness knows I've sold my fair share of 5* covers, just like everybody else. 
    Say WHAT????

Please define "everybody else"?

Never sell a cover other than a 1*. Never.
    If a cover is going to die on the vine, you only have two options; sell it or roster a copy. Before PP, I never had reason to think about it with 5* characters. I only did it with him to avoid scaling issues and I might not have done that either if I had a better understanding of their trade-in policy. 
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I think most in my alliance have had to settle multiple 5* covers due to bad builds and I know of others who have sold 14th covers for 5*s they weren't ready to champ.

There seems to be a stigma about selling 4* & 5* covers which can lead to excessive hoarding.  At the end of the day I want to see my roster progressing and sometimes (at least for me) opening tokens can be the best way to achieve that even if you have to end up selling numerous covers. 

For the record, I personally have sold at least ten 5* covers and am probably closing in on triple figures for sold 4*s.  I was building dupe 3*s but looks as though I'll be putting that project on hold as I need iso to level up the latest 4* & 5* releases.  So unfortunately that means a ton of 3* covers being sold for the next month or two at least.