New Mechanic Suggestion: Boosted when paired to someone

Options
D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
Up until now we have heroes boosted a certain amount of time, regardless who you pair them with. I think it would be interesting to add a new mechanic (which can also be limited per event / week) in which a hero is only boosted if paired with another certain hero (name not rarity). 

Example: Bucky would be boosted if paired with any of Steve Rogers. Storm would be boosted if paired with any of Black Panthers. And so on.

There are endless combinations and they would really add another layer for strategy and team picking. Cyclops & Jean, Carol & War Machine, Medusa & Bolt, Wolverine & X-23. 

It could also go the other way around and make a hero unboosted or decreased value if they would be paired with their foe (Mr F & Doom, Prof X & Magneto, Thanos & Gamora, and so on).

Again this could just be limited to event or week as it is now, but it would open up more options.

What do you guys think ?

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd be open to this if the list of boosted pairs was large enough. If it were something like only one to three pairs, PvP in particular would become abysmal because now fighting the same teams over and over again would essentially become enforced. 
  • mega ghost
    Options
    I'd also be interested in more subtle boosts, in which the character levels stay the same but other stats change. i.e. if you have two team members (Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four) you get a 10% boost in match damage. Or if you've paired two web tile creating characters (Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Miles, etc.) all of your stuns are +1 turn.
  • mega ghost
    Options
    I also would like to see who you're facing off against affect stats — opponent pairing should have effects too. i.e., if a symbiote character (Venom, Carnage) is attacked by fire (Human Torch), they take 10% more damage.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They've already got some characters that get bonuses when paired with other characters.  Consider 4* Rocket & Groot's strike tiles, or Mr Fantastic's passive.  I wouldn't mind seeing more things along those lines using team affiliation.

I'm less enthusastic about  bonuses for specific pairs of characters.  That would seem to reduce diversity in team composition.
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    I have always liked this idea, but with a slight change...give boosts based on affiliations. Every character has at least one. Better boost if all 3 are from the same affiliation. And maybe a better boost if the leader of the affiliation is on the team: Cap, Iron man, Star Lord, Mr. F, etc... You would have plenty of team diversity this way.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the ideal but truthfully it would boil down to who's boosted with who being the most effective in all featured pvp events.

Then developers would start having to developing the power of a character alone around the power of being boosted with a partner etc etc.

Now if the did special boost at the start of a match at random like. 

AP bonus/Match damage increase/health recovery/ bonus exp/ reduced ability cost.... Now that would be dope. And hard to abuse on bank on.

For instance if you play with a leader character who's teamed up with another character of the faction or team (starloard/cap/cyclops types) you get a chance at bonus exp or or reduced cost abilities.

It could be cool and setup to wear it would be hard to just straight up exploit.

With that said, I do like the whole (if this character is on your team abilities as they are now, we just need more of them)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    R4G strike tiles are already boosted with G4mora. You want them boosted TWICE!?

*curls up in fetal position*
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Dax317 said:
    I have always liked this idea, but with a slight change...give boosts based on affiliations. Every character has at least one. Better boost if all 3 are from the same affiliation. And maybe a better boost if the leader of the affiliation is on the team: Cap, Iron man, Star Lord, Mr. F, etc... You would have plenty of team diversity this way.

There is plenty of room to play around here - good relations from the comics, affiliation, status, an so on. But unfortunately not all heroes in the game are affiliated. 
    Sadly, X-Men don't have any affiliation (just 'Heroes'). But I hope that would change in the future :)
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would like this but only for special events, like Best Friends and Valentine's Day. Otherwise the dynamics of the game get too complicated and discourage variety.

I'm disappointed I haven't seen any Bucky/Cap or Iron Man/War Machine pairs in this PVP event yet. An Archenemy event could work too: boosted if working with your biggest foe: Thor/Loki, Hulk/Red Hulk, Daredevil/Bullseye, etc.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would like this but only for special events, like Best Friends and Valentine's Day. Otherwise the dynamics of the game get too complicated and discourage variety.

I'm disappointed I haven't seen any Bucky/Cap or Iron Man/War Machine pairs in this PVP event yet. An Archenemy event could work too: boosted if working with your biggest foe: Thor/Loki, Hulk/Red Hulk, Daredevil/Bullseye, etc.

Agreed, however I suspect the problem would be is that it's a reasonable chunk of coding changes that would be needed to support that.  In order to justify the investment in time and resources they would probably want to run it more frequently than that.  However I'd be OK if they made more events to support this model.

Suggestions:

2 character events:
    Buddy Cop [or] Opposites Attract (Characters pairs that are boosted are opposites / characters you wouldn't expect to get a along)
    The Enemy of My Enemy (Pairings consisting of arch enemies who are forced to team up a common threat)

3 character events:
    No I in Team (3 characters on the same team are boosted when together, Guardians, X-Men, etc)
    Three's a Crowd (3 characters pairings particularly love triangles like Logan, Jean, & Scott)

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So.... You want Future Fight:

• SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Basically, yes, but without the fight. Just the tile matching :)
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Oh you want contest of champions