Is it time to expand boosted characters again?

MaxxPowerz
MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
There are now over 50 4* characters in the game along with 45 3* characters...why don't we boost more of them on a weekly basis? 

To make matters more complicated, we often see characters that have only been introduced to packs for a short period of time get boosted. This makes it so a majority of the player base has less potential boosted characters to work with.

If not now, when will we see an increase?

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't mind seeing a few more boosted characters too.

As for having new characters added to the boosted list, I wouldn't expect that to change.  They presumably started doing this to reward players that cover the characters quickly, which for some portion of the player base means spending extra money.  This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't taking a slot that could have gone to a character that more people had covered though.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I don´t agree. 5 is enough. Even with 5, teams are so repetitive. Because everyone use best 2 boosted characters. If lets say 8 characters are boosted, best characters will be abused even more. Just image week, when Carol, Rulk, Peggy, ... are boosted. So in the end, all players will be using same team.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phillipes said:
    I don´t agree. 5 is enough. Even with 5, teams are so repetitive. Because everyone use best 2 boosted characters. If lets say 8 characters are boosted, best characters will be abused even more. Just image week, when Carol, Rulk, Peggy, ... are boosted. So in the end, all players will be using same team.
    Maybe it's worth considering Story mode as well as Versus.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always thought it'd be cool if the player could choose one cover a week to be boosted for that week. So often the boosted characters lack synergy or even rainbow coverage, made worse if you don't have any or all of the boosted characters champed. I usually say to myself 'If only so-and-so was boosted too, this would would be an effective list for me.'

Then again, some characters are just sick when boosted and we'd all probably choose the same character(s) over and over and over. (Oh, look, another boosted R&G...)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see both sides.  

For newer players expanding boosted lists would be great.  It would mean that their small amount of champs have a better chance of being boosted each event.

For veteran players it would likely mean less variety because they would most likely be playing the same 3-6 characters every event because it's much more likely that they'll feel handcuffed into using top tier 4*s each time vs their lower ones getting their turn in the spotlight.

I side with the veterans on this one.  There's far too little variety in the game already.  Smaller boosted lists make it more likely the mid-tier or even low tier characters occasionally get a workout.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Even now in BFF all I'm seeing is Power man paired with Kate, Kingpin or Gwen.  Haven't seen a Miles or Bucky yet, and odds are if youve seen a War Machine that's me.  I don't know if 5 is enough, but team comps won't change much. 
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Dormammu said:
    I always thought it'd be cool if the player could choose one cover a week to be boosted for that week. So often the boosted characters lack synergy or even rainbow coverage, made worse if you don't have any or all of the boosted characters champed. I usually say to myself 'If only so-and-so was boosted too, this would would be an effective list for me.'

Then again, some characters are just sick when boosted and we'd all probably choose the same character(s) over and over and over. (Oh, look, another boosted R&G...)
    Damn right on that! God, I miss my boosted R&G. Not for PVP, but clears in PVE were shortened considerably. If I could choose one to have boosted every week in PVE, it would be R&G without a doubt. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    I see both sides.  

For newer players expanding boosted lists would be great.  It would mean that their small amount of champs have a better chance of being boosted each event.

For veteran players it would likely mean less variety because they would most likely be playing the same 3-6 characters every event because it's much more likely that they'll feel handcuffed into using top tier 4*s each time vs their lower ones getting their turn in the spotlight.

I side with the veterans on this one.  There's far too little variety in the game already.  Smaller boosted lists make it more likely the mid-tier or even low tier characters occasionally get a workout.
    Thats not how I PVE. I do like to experiment with different teams, having more boosted characters would only increase which teams I try. Would also save on healthpacks, even if I was using a top tier team, I could let them heal by time and switch to a boosted lower tier character. More characters= more options, for me at least.
    PVP is different because you penalized for losses, while retreating in PVE does no harm. Then again, with the win based system I can afford to use weaker teams without worrying about defensive losses that much.
    That being said, I have all boosted 4*s champed, and I feel its plenty.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    broll said:
    I see both sides.  

Thats not how I PVE. I do like to experiment with different teams, having more boosted characters would only increase which teams I try. Would also save on healthpacks, even if I was using a top tier team, I could let them heal by time and switch to a boosted lower tier character. More characters= more options, for me at least.
    PVP is different because you penalized for losses, while retreating in PVE does no harm. Then again, with the win based system I can afford to use weaker teams without worrying about defensive losses that much.
    Increased boosted list for PVE only? This would be especially nice on story events where the essential character is also already boosted that week.

Also, worth noting that "new characters" that are boosted while they are new do not occupy a boosted "slot", they're in addition to the weekly boosted characters. So (for a while) they're not cutting into the boosted characters you "could have" gotten.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Straycat said:
    broll said:
    I see both sides.  

Increased boosted list for PVE only? This would be especially nice on story events where the essential character is also already boosted that week.

Also, worth noting that "new characters" that are boosted while they are new do not occupy a boosted "slot", they're in addition to the weekly boosted characters. So (for a while) they're not cutting into the boosted characters you "could have" gotten.
    Almost think they should have separate boosted lists for PVE and PVP. I like the offseason events with themed boosted list, so they don't overlap. That way players with only a couple boosted characters don't have to rely on them so much for both pvp and pve.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Dormammu said:

Or, as I usually find, the boosted 4*s are all single target nukers.
    Nothing like a week of boosted Cyclops, Captain Falcon, Hulkbuster, XForce Wolvie and Thing, for example.

Whenever they do that PvE feels so torturous.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Also, worth noting that "new characters" that are boosted while they are new do not occupy a boosted "slot", they're in addition to the weekly boosted characters. So (for a while) they're not cutting into the boosted characters you "could have" gotten

Yes, characters are normally boosted the season after introduced, but weve also seen these characters make the boosted list the following season (Yondu and Vulture come to mind). This being only a mere season after being available through tokens.

It really puts a hamper on things when they are boosting characters that only a small fraction of players have actually had a chance to max cover.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like this.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    In support of the dilution argument, comparing the September 2016 and September 2017 Sneak Peek threads, they've remained at four 4* boosted heroes each week (excluding new characters).

But in a year, they've added 18 new 4* characters.  So in that time we've changed from the boosted list representing 11.1% of the 4* roster to 7.4%.  So there is a lower chance that any one of your characters will be boosted than there was a year ago (although it is not quite that simple due to latest vs. vintage characters).

If we wanted the same proportion of the roster boosted as a year ago, we'd expect six boosted 4* characters each week.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing I wonder about is what is the point of the boosted 1* characters? They are never Essential. Do even new players use them much? You could give those 2 slots to the 3 & 4's.