Liliana1 Deck Possible Improvements

Every time I make a deck for Liliana1 it doesn't feel right. It always seems to be better for another Planeswalker. Today, however, I had an idea for a deck that would exploit her first ability by taking some of the sting out of the discard.

I am trying to stick with Standard as I usually do because I didn't start playing until just before the Kaladesh release so my BFZ, OGW, SOI, and EMN selection is limited to say the least. 

The deck isn't exactly how I want it to be honest because I don't have Neheb, the Worthy. The current list is:

Creatures: (4)
Dreamstealer 
Dread Wanderer 
Banewhip Punisher
Ammit Eternal 

Spells: (5)
Grind // Dust
Driven // Despair 
Claim // Fame
Consign // Oblivion 
Liliana's Defeat 

Supports: (1)
Cartouche of Ambition

Not sure what Neheb would replace but I'm thinking it would be better than the Ammit here.

What, if any, do all think would improve this deck?

Comments

• hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    maybe include a gem converter to help get things
    moving? maybe swap out claim/fame?

HH 
  • Grenade110
    Grenade110 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Claim/Fame is included to recure Punisher and the Ammit (Neheb) if I get him later (Works similar to Cartouche/Trial duo). A gem conversion support would be useful though. Liliana's Defeat has helped but it sometimes clutters my hand I will try switching it with Fetid Pools to see if it works better.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    I think claim/fame might be a bit niche. fame is good
    to match when you have a creature but claim costs
    11 mana to bring a 12(optimal) mana creature back
    from the graveyard. I was suggesting building up
    your loyalty faster by using a gem converter and
    maybe using lilly's 3rd ability.
    without a kill spell/card are you not relying mostly on
    matching activated gems to get rid of flyers?

HH
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
     May I suggest taking out one creature for painted bluffs? It's standard, changes gems and only costs 5.

You only ever need 3 creatures in Lili 1, since you aren't playing blitz there isn't a reason to have more than needed in the deck. Also, her 3rd ability is stronger with only 3. 

Also, I like your thought process about the aftermath, but don't know how effective they will be.

Final thought, Apocalypse Demon is you have it. 

Good luck everyone. Much love.
  • Grenade110
    Grenade110 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    I've tested the deck some more and took in some of the suggestions. This is the updated decklist.

Ambitious Punishment 
    Creatures: (3)
    Dreamstealer 
    Ammit Eternal 
    Banewhip Punisher 

Spells: (5)
    Liliana's Defeat 
    Shadows of the Grave 
    Consign//Oblivion 
    Claim//Fame
    Grind//Dust 

Supports: (2)
    Fetid Pools 
    Cartouche of Ambition

I dropped the Wanderer because it seemed to do more harm than good and added in Shadows of the Grave because it can grant me multiple uses of the Aftermath spells and Dreamstealer after they have exiled. 

I went with Fetid Pools over any other gem conversion support because it can be cycled if need be.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    I decided to do something similar the other day. Here's what I went with:

• Neheb, the Worthy
    • Anguished Unmaking
    • Dreamstealer
    • Canyon Slough
    • Fetid Pools
    • Eliminate the Competition
    • Consign // Oblivion
    • Sunset Pyramid
    • Cartouche of Ambition
    • Final Reward

I know you said you don't have Neheb (that's a bummer!) and you may also not have Anguished Unmaking, given that it's an Origins Mythic, but I thought this might be a good starting point. Seems like we both have similar ideas though.

What I love about this deck is that I'm rarely hesitant to dump things with her first ability. Also, I only went with two creatures so as to leave room for both versions of Dreamstealer on the board, although that has rarely ever happened. There are a few other tweaks I think I could make to it (like including Doomfall or Bontu's Last Reckoning, if I ever happen to get them) but I haven't given it a ton of thought since coming up with this.

A few other thoughts on the idea:

- One option I only just now considered was throwing in Trial of Ambition, to take advantage of the synergy with the Cartouche. For some reason, I completely overlooked that when I was building this.

- Other creatures that might be worth including, if you have them, are Scrapheap Scrounger, and Ruin Rats.

- Personally, I don't much care for Ammit Eternal. It's overpriced and has a crummy drawback. Dread Wanderer is also not so great.