Circling prey

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
So,

yeah, this is pretty much the first time going up against vulture (nefarious foes). and yeah...

what are you supposed to do with an un-attackable character?

he takes off, steals ap, does damage, apparently lands, but then up he goes again.

lather rinse repeat until your team is wiped.

suggestions are welcomed...

Comments

• Cartelkuma
    Cartelkuma Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Do you have your roster handy? Honestly you'll see and probably need to use the same meta units in every node these days. Squads don't really vary or differ much from player to player these days regardless. Try using a high ap gain or high attack gain and focus on vulture before he's airborne since that will most likely be the opponents sole ap source.

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Take him out early.  Keep him from going airborne in the first place by preventing black.  If he does get airborne, don't let his teammates make more black matches.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    He can land and take off again as long as he has enough AP.  I won a 10 minute match waiting for him to finally drain all his black ap before finally nuking him - he took out basically my entire team sans 10k in health on my last toon who 86'd him.
  • finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    There should be a lag between his land and take off.  I complained already about the **** of not being able to play the game because of this jag.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    • Steal AP (Mordo, Black Widow, Dr Strange, Hood, other)
    • Stun him (Iceman, Gamora & many others)
    • Make yourself invisible when he lands (Invisible Woman, Agent Venom, Miles Morales, Howard, Prof X)
    • Deflect his damage (Spider-Woman, Black Panther, other)
    • Reduce his damage (Quake, Luke Cage, Sandman, Flaptain, other)
    • Punish the enemy team for collecting black (Carol Danvers - they probably have black a strong color)
    • Make your power cheaper, hence using them more often and blocking him (Star-Lord)
    • Punish the enemy team for firing a power or dealing damage (Dr Strange, Deadpool)
    • Use powerful abilities to kill his allies - he cannot collect black on his own when airborne - at least not enough.

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    He does collect black when he's airborne - 2 ap per turn so that's 4 he collects.  If he lands and fire his blue board shake he can get more black - unless he had only 5 black when he went airborne it will be a minimum four turns you can't touch him while he goes all his colors ap.  If he makes one match during that 4 turn cycle of black, add 4 more turns.   Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.  

And hes airborne, so strange has no affect on him.  Nor does any power while he's in the air.
  • finlanderboy
    finlanderboy Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    D4Ni13 said:
    • Make yourself invisible when he lands (Invisible Woman, Agent Venom, Miles Morales, Howard, Prof X)
    • Punish the enemy team for collecting black (Carol Danvers - they probably have black a strong color)
    • Make your power cheaper, hence using them more often and blocking him (Star-Lord)
    • Punish the enemy team for firing a power or dealing damage (Dr Strange, Deadpool)
    • Use powerful abilities to kill his allies - he cannot collect black on his own when airborne - at least not enough.

Steal will help.

Stunning is worthless because he can not be targeted because he is airborn.

going invisible yourself is not viable because he has an AOE that fires.

Defect/reduce damage is small and generally worthless, if he is flying for 10 rounds you have a hard time stopping it.

Punish him? You can not if he is flying

Make your powers cheaper?  To what end he is flying and I can not fire my powers anyway.

Punish for firing powers he flies so he will not be punished.

Use powerful abilities to kill his allies.  Well if he already has his black and his up for the next 5 turns good luck with that.

So you have 1 viable answer.
  • dstann
    dstann Posts: 55 Match Maker
    mexus said:
    Vulture is sick!
    But when he lands he's stranded for at least one turn. So stun him him if possible, do what you can to steal everything that's black.
    In all honesty he's not a big threat while not airborne, and doesn't have a lor of health either.

Save a nuke, save a stun, smack that birdie.
    He actually isn't stranded for one turn when he lands.  He can take off again straight away
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    D4Ni13 said:

Steal will help.

Stunning is worthless because he can not be targeted because he is airborn.

going invisible yourself is not viable because he has an AOE that fires.

Defect/reduce damage is small and generally worthless, if he is flying for 10 rounds you have a hard time stopping it.

Punish him? You can not if he is flying

Make your powers cheaper?  To what end he is flying and I can not fire my powers anyway.

Punish for firing powers he flies so he will not be punished.

Use powerful abilities to kill his allies.  Well if he already has his black and his up for the next 5 turns good luck with that.

So you have 1 viable answer.
    You stun him BEFORE he goes in the sky. You punish him BEFORE he goes flying. It's not like he just goes in the sky without collecting those 6 black AP. Luke Cage makes one strong protect tile everytime an enemy activates a power. If Vulture is going airborne two or 3 times in a row, you already have 3 of them. His allies cannot kill you without activating powers (other defense tiles). You can play with Carol and also make those protect tiles stronger if you want that root. 

Or you can simply play with R&G & Gamora and target him first. Collect 6 blue AP and stun him before he goes flying, kill him before the stun is over and that's it. 

Both Invisible Woman and Agent venom hides your entire TEAM, not just themselves. 

Bottom line: there are plenty options to deal with Vulture, not just 'one viable anwser'. It's a puzzle game for god sake... Lets just enter a game and pair some tiles and complain afterwards... 

PS. or you can just SKIP the teams with Vulture, problem solved. 
  • danielrandkai
    danielrandkai Posts: 90 Match Maker
    @mexus

agent venom team up will hide your whole team. 
  • jredd
    edited September 2017
    Bowgentle said:

Deny black and kill him first.
    It's not rocket science.

not always possible. cmon man. one cascade is all it takes.
  • jredd
    D4Ni13 said:

PS. or you can just SKIP the teams with Vulture, problem solved. 

he's boosted which means he's on most squads right now. and skipping just gives you a squad with champed (and boosted, seriously d3) thanos and panther.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:
    Bowgentle said:

Deny black and kill him first.
    It's not rocket science.

not always possible. cmon man. one cascade is all it takes.

ANY team can kill you with one cascade, that's besides the point.
  • champg0951
    champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I LOVE using Vulture...especially with Medusa and Cloak And Dagger
  • champg0951
    champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    mexus said:
    I LOVE using Vulture...especially with Medusa and Cloak And Dagger
    *reporting you for cheating*
    HAHAHA!!!  :D What's the old saying 

If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not that there is a lot of logic in this game but the whole being airbourne invincibility thing doesn't make a lot of sense. So Iron Man can't blast you outta the sky with his repulsor rays?!?!? It would have made more sense if it was some sort of dodge type power that needs being airbourne to work. Oh well.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I've been feasting on Vultures this PVP. Either target him first or if he starts going air born make sure you take out everybody else as quickly as possible.  Of course this is easier said than done depending on your team.  I've been running a combo of Vulture/Venom/Red Hulk and Mordo all champed. I feel like Vultures low health is a fair trade off for his circling prey.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Kill him first or snatch up the black tiles. He doesn't generate enough black to fly indefinitely, so if you keep it away from him he has to land. Obviously you can't do anything about cascades, but there are characters you can use to minimize his chances of getting any (Quake blue, KK purple, etc).
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    And hes airborne, so strange has no affect on him.  Nor does any power while he's in the air.
    Not strictly true. AP drain/steal powers don't seem to target, so you can steal/drain AP from him all you like.