5* Characters.

ZBarJones
ZBarJones Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
I am currently finishing up championizing my last 4* roster. I was looking for some help on who some of the best 5* characters to play with are. I have all of them but none completely covered so who should I be favoriteing?

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    The real question is what are your high covered characters.  Bonus heroes are not really going to get you anywhere unless,perhaps, you have 1-2 at high covers (11-12) with favorable spread.  The best bet is switching to Latest and pulling exclusively there, or hoarding to get 3 at once.  Classic does not have favorable odds.
  • ZBarJones
    bluewolf said:
    The real question is what are your high covered characters.  Bonus heroes are not really going to get you anywhere unless,perhaps, you have 1-2 at high covers (11-12) with favorable spread.  The best bet is switching to Latest and pulling exclusively there, or hoarding to get 3 at once.  Classic does not have favorable odds.
    I have 9 Jean Grey and Black Bolt and between 6 -8 on a lot of the others. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Bolt is extremely strong and is a top tier 5*.  The other 2 top tier are Thanos and Black Panther.  Those 3 are great in PVP.  If you are a PVE player all 5* can help you out with match damage and health alone. Even the bottom tier 5* are good for PVE.  Phoenix is strong but really needs to be covered properly.  Mine is 5,4,3 at level 435 and at level 3 her red just does not do enough damage and her purple doesn't make nearly enough red matches.  She is strong and can do massive damage at 3,5,5.  
    Hawkeyes is also really good with coulson and OML is still the best meat shield in 5* land.  Enjoy going into 5* land I personally enjoy it and hope you do too.
  • ZBarJones
    It would be nice to get 5* from leveling up 4* the way the 2s and 3s work.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos and Black Bolt are the unquestioned top 5*s. If you have 9 covers for BB then he'd be a great bonus hero target.  Panther is a great partner with Thanos, but he's a whole lot weaker without him.  Phoenix has kind of fallen behind the meta, but she's still the queen of randomly going off on someone, causing them to wipe.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Thanos is by far the #1 champ 5 star. He makes the game ridiculously fast in PVE and will allow you to gobble up grills for speed hops.

For PVE - Black Bolt and Strange are great to pair with Thanos. OML is also OK to conserve health with Thanos' stream of constant damage, but not as fast.

For PVP - Black Bolt, Phoenix, and of course Black Panther (everyone does it).

Setting your 5 star favorite won't help you in short term. Under free play, you will see a 5 star bonus hero about once every other season. Make sure you put it on a 5 star with builds that don't have any color at 5. Don't waste those rare occasions you get one.

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I have 69 5* covers- never had to thrown one out yet but never got a 5* bonus cover. I wonder if I am unlucky or if bonus covers just don't make a difference to help cover 5*

Either way I don't think 4-5* transition will ever be possible with how little I play now- And if you are not careful you end up the little fish in the big boy pool in PvP 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    I have 69 5* covers- never had to thrown one out yet but never got a 5* bonus cover. I wonder if I am unlucky or if bonus covers just don't make a difference to help cover 5*

Either way I don't think 4-5* transition will ever be possible with how little I play now- And if you are not careful you end up the little fish in the big boy pool in PvP 
    I'm 4 on 121 5stars. Was 1/71 to start. Still down 2.
    Point is don't bank on them. However some people are exceedingly lucky - or you know *cough* 
  • Carnifexx
    Carnifexx Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Bolt, Green Goblin, and Coulson are fun to play and surprisingly efficient at mowing down opponents. 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Orion said:
    . . .  Phoenix has kind of fallen behind the meta, but she's still the queen of randomly going off on someone, causing them to wipe.
    Have you been spying on me, wiping on Phoenix grills?
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross said:
    Orion said:
    . . .  Phoenix has kind of fallen behind the meta, but she's still the queen of randomly going off on someone, causing them to wipe.
    Have you been spying on me, wiping on Phoenix grills?
    Nope, I've been right there with you.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm going to break this down a bit into the meta.  Most 5*s have a value in PVE, but that's not where they shine - the real value of a 5* is in PVP as a deterrent for being attacked.  A 4* roster can only go so far without having to shield and hop - when I was a 4* player it was in the 900s.  A 5* player can frequently get to the 1200s without having to shield.

I'll speak to what I see, for myself I started out with Widow/Bolt (not a bad deterrent, but these days not great,) and moved to Panthanos when I covered them.  Panthanos is definitely the biggest deterrent - they're a pain in the tinykitty to face together.  It's not that Thanos is that good (though he's definitely good,) but Thanos exacerbates bad luck.  If you lose a character (which unfortunately is pretty easy just through bad luck at the 5* level,) then Thanos drastically increases the chance of a wipe.  Panther slows things down which increases the chances of that bad luck.  Also, if Thanos' "Court Death" goes off Panther will take another swipe at you for 12Kish.

Panther is really only effective as a deterrent with Thanos.  Thanos is a reasonable deterrent with a few other characters (he works with Hawkeye pretty well, I've found, and is not bad with the Surfer.  I expect he'd be ok with Phoenix, but "Infinite Power" really messes up Phoenix which is a drag on defense.)  Still, he's best with Panther.  There are other combinations that aren't bad - I'd say some of the above Thanos combinations, OML/Phoenix (once the king of the hill, now still not bad but a little crunchy,) Widow/Bolt, Sufer/Bolt.  You will take more hits than Panthanos, though.

In general, I'd say if you're going to level one particular 5* it has to be a decent deterrent.  Thanos is best, probably followed by Bolt.  Phoenix and OML are probably okay, particularly if you think you'll get a good second.  Surfer is kind of neat, but not much of a deterrent, same with Strange (Strange is great for PVE, but only people who rely on Hawkeye think twice about taking a team with Strange in it - he just has too few hit points.) Hawkeye and Coulson are one of the fastest teams out there, but you will get hit.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:

In general, I'd say if you're going to level one particular 5* it has to be a decent deterrent.  Thanos is best, probably followed by Bolt.  Phoenix and OML are probably okay, particularly if you think you'll get a good second.  Surfer is kind of neat, but not much of a deterrent, same with Strange (Strange is great for PVE, but only people who rely on Hawkeye think twice about taking a team with Strange in it - he just has too few hit points.) Hawkeye and Coulson are one of the fastest teams out there, but you will get hit.

For what it's worth, I run with two boosted 4s and I will sooner attack Thanos than Black Bolt. Thanos has a lot of health to chew through, but he will usually only do match damage with some cursory green denial. Bolt will absolutely tear me up unless his charged tile placements are incredibly lucky. 

Obviously things change up a bit with a 5* vs 5* situation, since in my case I need to absolutely minimize incoming damage, and I doubt there are a ton of 4* players out there actively attacking 5* teams. But yeah, Bolt is guaranteed damage, whereas Thanos is frequently just a meat shield on D unless you lose somebody.
  • danielrandkai
    danielrandkai Posts: 90 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    GrimSkald said:

I'm going to break this down a bit into the meta.  Most 5*s have a value in PVE, but that's not where they shine - the real value of a 5* is in PVP as a deterrent for being attacked.  A 4* roster can only go so far without having to shield and hop - when I was a 4* player it was in the 900s.  A 5* player can frequently get to the 1200s without having to shield.

I'll speak to what I see, for myself I started out with Widow/Bolt (not a bad deterrent, but these days not great,) and moved to Panthanos when I covered them.  Panthanos is definitely the biggest deterrent - they're a pain in the tinykitty to face together.  It's not that Thanos is that good (though he's definitely good,) but Thanos exacerbates bad luck.  If you lose a character (which unfortunately is pretty easy just through bad luck at the 5* level,) then Thanos drastically increases the chance of a wipe.  Panther slows things down which increases the chances of that bad luck.  Also, if Thanos' "Court Death" goes off Panther will take another swipe at you for 12Kish.

Panther is really only effective as a deterrent with Thanos.  Thanos is a reasonable deterrent with a few other characters (he works with Hawkeye pretty well, I've found, and is not bad with the Surfer.  I expect he'd be ok with Phoenix, but "Infinite Power" really messes up Phoenix which is a drag on defense.)  Still, he's best with Panther.  There are other combinations that aren't bad - I'd say some of the above Thanos combinations, OML/Phoenix (once the king of the hill, now still not bad but a little crunchy,) Widow/Bolt, Sufer/Bolt.  You will take more hits than Panthanos, though.

the only thing I really disagree with here is the notion that a 5* can "frequently" get to 1200 without having to shield. If only.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:

the only thing I really disagree with here is the notion that a 5* can "frequently" get to 1200 without having to shield. If only.

Depending on your slice, climb time, 5s you run, you should absolutely be able to do 1200+ on first shield.
    Unless you're playing in s2 or s5.

Also, Panthos are a joke to take down with really high level 4s.
    Bolt is where it's at on defense.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I probably should have put more conditions on what I said - I play in S4 where the points are readily available but the attacks come in pretty hard too.

My own experiences are that I can get to 1200 with Panthanos without having to shield sometimes, but others' may vary, particularly by time slice.

I probably do avoid more Bolt than Thanos, so your points are well taken.  Though honestly there are some good ways around Bolt... mostly by bringing around your own Bolt and hoping you can get some good timing....