Should I sell 1*s (except Juggernaut)?

Options
Should I sell 1*s (except Juggernaut)?

Right now I have assorted 4* covers (nothing very good), perhaps six or seven 3* characters that have thirteen covers, and five or six more 3*s that I'm building on.  I have one of each of the 2*s championed (but not maxed) and all the 1*s maxed.

I'm thinking of having multiple 2* champions of the same name.  E.g.  I'll have a level 144 (or is 166 the max) 2* Black Widow, and a level 99 2* Black Widow, when I level up the level 99 to 144 and have two level 144s, I'll sell one of the 144 and start a new 2* Black Widow at level 94

So yes, I have a lot of roster slots open (a rarity, I know).  But I will need a lot of roster spots if I am going to do this (especially as I'll be building my 4* collection as well).

So I'm looking at my 1*s and thinking "hm, what do I REALLY use these guys on?"  In PvE events, I'll just steamroll the level 23 goons or whatever with Wolverine and Daken anyways, so I don't even need extra heroes to soak up damage.  The Deadpool Daily Quest (DDQ) can be done with just one 1* (Juggernaut should be plenty I think, and I think I can use Juggernaut 1* alone to do it, along with some teamups perhaps)

The question is not simply "should I sell 1*s" but what are 1*s *used* for apart from DDQ?  Are 1*s required characters in some PvE events?  All the required characters I can think of offhand have always been 2* or more.  (Maybe I forget but - isn't that the case?)

Thanks for your reply!

Mind, I really don't mind keeping on the 1*s.  I don't mind buying in to get more roster slots.  But if the 1*s are literally pretty much useless, well - might as well get rid of them, right?

Comments

• SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes.

No, really, except for the Pokémon factor, they are useless. Keep Juggs, IM or maybe Spidey. All you need is one. One star characters are training wheels, which you no longer need. They are never essential to any node but the first DDQ. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unless you want them all sell them.  You certainly only need one once you have a few 2* champs.

Also always having a 144 2* is over kill as well.  You can easily keep up to date with everything by rotating champs.  There's nothing in the game that really requires or is even that significantly helped by having 1 or more 2*s at 144.  DDQ is doable with any 3 early level champs, but might be a little harder, but that's more about character synergy than levels.  

If I were you I'd sell all your 1*s but Jugg but not use those slots for dup 2*s until you need them.  Having 2 of all or several 2*s is gonna really slow down your progress.  
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Long question, short answer is yes.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm thinking of having multiple 2* champions of the same name.  E.g.  I'll have a level 144 (or is 166 the max) 2* Black Widow, and a level 99 2* Black Widow, when I level up the level 99 to 144 and have two level 144s, I'll sell one of the 144 and start a new 2* Black Widow at level 94
    Definitely no reason to do this unless you're still relying on 2*s to finish story events (hopefully this is not the case). Even then, there's still no reason to spend 2 slots just to keep a champed 2* Steve or Moonstone around (for example). Save those roster slots to build 3*s and 4*s in.

1*s are not required for anything other than the first mission of Deadpool Daily. Juggernaut, Spider-Man, or Iron-Man are sufficient for that every day, and you can just sell the rest

• AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Definitely no reason to do this unless you're still relying on 2*s to finish story events (hopefully this is not the case). Even then, there's still no reason to spend 2 slots just to keep a champed 2* Steve or Moonstone around (for example). Save those roster slots to build 3*s and 4*s in.

1*s are not required for anything other than the first mission of Deadpool Daily. Juggernaut, Spider-Man, or Iron-Man are sufficient for that every day, and you can just sell the rest

I am pretty much relying on a mix of 3*s and 2*s for story events.  I stopped playing before champions were introduced, or most of the "standard" 3* lineup that most players use (as I understand it, Dr. Strange and Thanos and some others - Iceman, etc. etc.  I don't have much of that stuff at all).

So basically I'm making do with 3* Wolverine, Steve Rogers, Psylocke, Black Panther, Thor, and Hulk, with some support from a not-fully covered Loki, Falcon, Iron Man, and Daken.  Now if I had a different selection of 3*s it might be different, but it is what it is.

Using 2*s means sure they don't do much damage.  (REALLY)  But at least they can soak up damage so I use less health packs.

Case in point - I just used Psylocke 3*, Iron Man 3*, and Ares 2* to do a node in the PvE  (Ares is boosted).  My Ares is championed so even though he doesn't really do great damage against level 180 enemies, at least it's *something* since my other heroes are in various stages of hurt (lol).  Ares 2* is another body I can throw against the PvE event, and he at least has *some* effect.  Probably I might use Bullseye 2* later - though he can hardly match a good 3* Doctor Strange, I don't have a good 3* Doctor Strange (and even if I did, I'd still want more bodies to throw against PvE)

When I get a good line of championed 3*s then I think I will cut down on my 2* lineup, but that is still a year away at the rate I'm playing and gaining covers.  (Maybe 6 months at least?  Anyways, a while).  But atm I'm still pretty weak insofar as collecting covers.

Thanks for the responses, all - anyone have any particular use for 1*s other than Deadpool's Daily Quest?

(for example, 1*s used to be good in Balance of Power, but I haven't seen Balance of Power come up, and I think they nerfed the damage a lot so high-level Juggernaut 1* won't hardly do near the damage he used to.)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, Ares definitely punches above his weight, for a 2*. One roster slot to keep your Ares at champ level while rebuilding should be fine, until you no longer rely on him.

1*s have definitely been leveled out in Balance of Power. Juggernaut might still be fine (179,999 HP and a 30k headbutt), but only fine, and the other 1*s are worse. BoP also seems to be down to 2/3 times per year, max, so it's definitely not anything to build a team for, specifically. (2*s also aren't anything special in BoP, their HP is competitive but the ability scaling is really bad). As an example of the poor BoP scaling:

(All scaled to 550)
    2* Storm - Windstorm: 22335 per enemy
    3* KK - - Embiggened Bash: 29034 per enemy
    4* Jean Grey - Mind Over Matter: 32011 per enemy
    4* Red Hulk - Hammer and Anvil (18+ Green): 60346 per enemy
    (2* Storm has 54,000 HP. so yeah...)

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,655 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Juggernaut is all you need.

1* characters can be used in some of the Boss side mission events but as pretty much all of them have 2* or better versions, you aren't gonna use them.

Also, bonus heroes is really effective at the 3* level for building characters from scratch. As you say, Dr. Strange and Thanos are key factors at this level so you should focus on these two to obtain and champ as quickly as possible - Strange is a total goon killer and Thanos will speed up PVE on the lower levels like you wouldn't believe.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah absolutely sell your 1* and only keep Juggs or IM.  I've breezed through Deadpool's first mission every day for the last year and a half or so with just a maxed IM.  You will never use another 1* again once you get a few champed 2* unless it's to send 1* Black Widow as a team up
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you are a new player, yes.

If you are a veteran who can afford not to, no.

1* team-ups are often the most powerful ones in the game.  I don't know if it was designed that way or not, but I like the idea that 1*s are useless until people get to the 4* transition where they become very powerful again due to stuns and critical tile generation.

I pretty much have all the characters in the game at this point, and I have lots of spare hero points (generally around 7000-10000).  I don't blow them on buying covers.  I've started to farm even more than I used to, and I've started using those slots for 1*s to help my Alliance.