IM46 House Party Protocol Negating Super Whales

I had a match in the latest Hood PVP where I planned to super whales a team with a champ IM46 and gain a sizable amount of points.  By the time I had enough TU tiles to use the D3adpool Whalesx3 team-up, IM46 had thrown out some House Party Protocol CD tiles.  To my surprise after firing the ability, Tony simply ate a CD tile and stayed standing (unlike his teammates).  He finished off my team shortly afterwards.

This can't be by design, can it?  The whole point of that d3adpool ability is to end the match...period.  Is submitting this post all that is needed for the devs to look into the matter?

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Deadpool megawhales function has never really been specifically documented in-game as to what the intended effects are.  All it says is "I'll hit 'em with every whale I've got."  The forum details do say "using all Deadpool points will kill the entire enemy team regardless of skill level", though...

This isn't the first time that the skill has failed to finish everyone off.  It used to do fixed 99,999 AoE damage, but eventually some boosted, heavily champed characters managed to exceed that limit and live.  The skill was revised to do more damage instead, but it still works as damage.  It might be possible that other defensive skills (Elektra black?) block it as well.  Being airborne almost certainly prevents it from working.

I'm not saying this isn't a bug, just that it is possible that it's working as intended.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've always worried that if there are crazy amount/strength of defence tiles or damage reduction that whales might not down the team but have always been assured that the number is ridiculously high. 

If if they can code instant kill abilities like gamora, I reckon whales should be changed to use the instant kill code instead. This way, it gets around damage prevention like op's case. 
  • Dayv
    Pongie said:
    If if they can code instant kill abilities like gamora, I reckon whales should be changed to use the instant kill code instead. This way, it gets around damage prevention like op's case. 
    I don't think Gamora's instant kill is all that different in implementation.  It's a pain to test it on demand, though.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey guys, I just finished talking with the team and it seems that this is normal gameplay functionality. Currently, "downing" an enemy with a power is dealing enough damage to finish them. However, because these abilities are technically dealing damage, abilities that negate or prevent damage will block them.

For example, if you use The Punisher (Dark Reign)'s Punish ability while Elektra (Assassin) is below the death threshold but she has Shadow Step Trap tiles on the board, she will negate the damage dealt to her. We hope this helps to clarify the functionality for these powers better.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    @Tombstone
    Do 4* gamora's insta-kill and 5* Doc Ock's instawin work the same way? Would 4*Elektra not die of she has the traps out in both those cases?
  • Dayv
    Doc Ock's insta-win would be an interesting case.  It says it "wins the match" or words to that effect, not downs the team.

On the other hand, actually using that ability successfully is something you do purely to challenge yourself, like an achievement without a badge.  He's so bad, he's replaced Hulk as the worst 5*.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dayv said:
    On the other hand, actually using that ability successfully is something you do purely to challenge yourself, like an achievement without a badge.  He's so bad, he's replaced Hulk as the worst 5*.
    Which is a shame, really. For the effort you go through, you'd thinking ending the match on the spot wouldn't be too much to ask. (Or just being good the rest of the time).
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Dayv said:
    Doc Ock's insta-win would be an interesting case.  It says it "wins the match" or words to that effect, not downs the team.

Galactus's black says the same thing. Even if you happen to survive the blast with someone being airborne or whatever, you still lose. I have to assume Doc Ock would be the same.