The reasoning behind "no more mutants" doesn't make sense, does it?

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,860 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Marvel Future Fight got X-men in June so think it might be that.

• Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Didn't the developers say they were putting x-men releases on hold for a while because they released a lot of them in a row? And they wanted to expand other teams/areas?  Or am I imagining that? 
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    My apologies, but I'm afraid I don't have any communicable information to provide regarding this topic.
    lol Its cool

Its clear that marvel has certain guide lines and characters they "would like" you to use and characters "they don't want you to use" and then there are those that they "have a strong input on"

Not sure where the mutants fall with that but clearly something is up otherwise. We would have gotten at least one Xmen this year so far.

I think it's more than guidelines.  The developers have been open about the fact that they submit multiple character ideas to Marvel for approval, and Marvel decides which to give the green light to.  An example was 3* Hawkeye, where the developers felt like they were pushing the envelope in a fun way, and were really hoping Marvel would be ok with it.

It's not like the developers don't know about X-Men and other obvious exclusions, but it's also clear that they have a direct partnership with Marvel, and Marvel has their own ideas about the direction of the game, or new characters at least.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I play Future Fight pretty regularly; it is getting Age of Apocalypse pretty soon. Complete with a bunch of butt-ugly 90s themed uniforms, such as the one-armed Wolverine. Of all the variants to pick :s
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it is still possible to get X-Men in the near future, since Future Fight included them this year. Comics like Astonishing X-Men are being released since 2017 also. RessurXion and Gifted are on the roll also. So if things are getting on their way, there's still a chance for them in MPQ. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We need more wolverines
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still waiting for an Apocalypse Boss event with Bishop and Cable as rewards.

I just want to see it happen.. maybe Anniversary?! They surprised 2 yrs ago with Galactus boss, and he's also owned by Fox as part of FF so there's hope!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    D4Ni13 said:
    I think it is still possible to get X-Men in the near future, since Future Fight included them this year. Comics like Astonishing X-Men are being released since 2017 also. RessurXion and Gifted are on the roll also. So if things are getting on their way, there's still a chance for them in MPQ. 
    They've never stopped making X-Men comics. And they probably never will, as long as their publishing comics. They've done a ton of stuff to hurt the brand, but they would never cancel them. X-Men, since the 80's, have been some of, and often are, the best selling books for Marvel. X-fans are pretty damn loyal and numerable. Comics as a whole aren't too great these days, so there was never a chance of Wanda pulling a "No more mutant comics".

Now the FF aren't traditionally the biggest sellers. Even in beloved runs like Waid or Hickman didn't set the sales chart on fire outside an issue or two. And generally, they're only one book. They're much easier to sideline in comics than the X-Men as a whole. Though they have announced a Human Torch/Thing Two in One that would be about finding the rest of the FF, but we'll see if anything comes from that. I'm not holding my breath.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Beer40 said:
    3) Marvel is trying to bury the Mutant brand (Incorrect: Marvel has new comics titles out for Mutants as well as Mutants appearing in other games, like Clash of Champions.)
    This was actually accurate, to a degree. There were rumors that Marvel was refusing promotion of both the X-Men and Fantastic Four in what was being seen as a 'cold war' between them and Fox, with Marvel hoping to temporarily lessen the value of those franchises in the hopes that they could revert the film and television rights to those characters back to Marvel. There was direct evidence of this, like Marvel cancelling the Fantastic Four comic, removing X-Men and FF characters from promotional artwork, trying to emphasize/expand the Inhumans as the new mutant-like group of the Marvel U, etc etc...

From what I can tell, with the recent successes of Mutant movies at Fox (Deadpool, Logan) Marvel has realized the likelihood of getting that franchise back is zero, so they've ended the cold war on that front (Marvel has returned focus to the X-books) but with the last FF movie bombing like it did, they still have hope of returning those film rights. 
    Dunno if that war's completely over since the new Marvel Vs Capcom game has no mutants in it and the Marvel cast is made up almost exclusively of MCU characters.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Obviously they're going to release a mutant for the anniversary and that's why they won't say anything.  They never say anything about characters they plan to release soon.

(Dazzler thus confirmed.)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dragon_Nexus said:
    Dunno if that war's completely over since the new Marvel Vs Capcom game has no mutants in it and the Marvel cast is made up almost exclusively of MCU characters.
    Fox isn't going to stop making X-Men movies. Both the studio and the franchise as a whole have shown remarkable resiliency to survive bad films and fan angst, only to bounce back with some pretty good films. The superhero genre as a whole would have to tank, but it shows no signs of slowing - Marvel is on an epic role, DC seems determined to keep trying, Hellboy is returning, Sony has Venom in the works, Fox has the Dark Phoenix saga as well as the New Mutants looming, not to mention Gambit...

It's not a 'war' Marvel can win right now and they know it. Maybe Hugh Jackman stepping away might have made a dent, but when franchises like Deadpool have the success they are having it's simply not going to matter.

Maybe Marvel gets the Fantastic Four back in 5 years if Fox doesn't put another movie into production before then. But the X-Men? Not gonna happen.
  • champg0951
    champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    While we have no factual data, we can speculate on this topic. However, the most common reasons for this game not adding more Mutants that I see are these: (in parentheses I will debunk these myths)

1) Marvel doesn't own the rights to the Mutants (Incorrect: Marvel owns all rights except TV/movie.)

Actually, Marvel does own the TV rights which is why FOX had to negotiate with them in making Legion and the upcoming show Gifted. If Marvel wanted to include mutants in their shows, like they do in the cartoons, they can they just choose not to.
  • Dimh
    Dimh Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Like Dragon_nexus said, Marcel vs Capcom: Infinite has zero mutants in it.  It is rumored there will be an X-Men DLC pack at some point, though.  Playtime has ended. RIP Swagneto
  • JRYUART
    JRYUART Posts: 95 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Options

DAZ0273 said:
    It is also entirely possible that MPQ has managed to negotiate new characters from the X-universe but is bound from releasing any details due to Marvel's agreements with other companies for now. We tend to get blindsided by the Marvel angle and forget that the games developers are in competition with each other and right now even some level of exclusivity to these characters is a massive draw.
    You have no idea. I am currently in the process of creating a line for a particular retailer to be an exclusive look for one of the core properties and it has to look nothing like what's been out in the marketplace for the last 10 years. While still being undeniably, definably, that property. It's been a challenge and a half to find a direction for this one.

If I just confused you, imagine trying to create a line of product for Iron Man without being able to use red, black, or gold as the base/primary colors.
    I am also in the midst of working on marvel related pitches but it's hit and miss as to what they are willing to greenlight.  An Inhumans concept was denied (rejected for conceptual reasons) but I have been granted almost the entirety of the marvel universe to choose from including mutants, but not FF or surprisingly, Thor.  Who knows what's going on over there...
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Beer40 said:
    While we have no factual data, we can speculate on this topic. However, the most common reasons for this game not adding more Mutants that I see are these: (in parentheses I will debunk these myths)

1) Marvel doesn't own the rights to the Mutants (Incorrect: Marvel owns all rights except TV/movie.)

Actually, Marvel does own the TV rights which is why FOX had to negotiate with them in making Legion and the upcoming show Gifted. If Marvel wanted to include mutants in their shows, like they do in the cartoons, they can they just choose not to.
    FOX has an exclusive license for both film and television rights. The television portion of that contract does require some (confusing) level of approval from Marvel, but they are the only ones who can produce shows based on the X-mutants. LEGION is a co-production between FOX and Marvel TV and the new X-series (which was announced quite a while ago now) is rumored to be produced by both as well. It's nice to see FOX and Marvel co-operating rather than trying to sue each other. Maybe they can come to some sort of sharing agreement, like what happened with Sony and Spider-Man.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,502 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Beer40 said:

FOX has an exclusive license for both film and television rights. The television portion of that contract does require some (confusing) level of approval from Marvel, but they are the only ones who can produce shows based on the X-mutants. LEGION is a co-production between FOX and Marvel TV and the new X-series (which was announced quite a while ago now) is rumored to be produced by both as well. It's nice to see FOX and Marvel co-operating rather than trying to sue each other. Maybe they can come to some sort of sharing agreement, like what happened with Sony and Spider-Man.
    Jeph Loeb (basically exec producer of all Marvel television) is a producer on Gifted.  It is listed on Fox's website as being produced in Association with Marvel.  One thing to consider is changing conditions. At one point, the 4 most recent X-Men films were in a downward box office trend, from Last Stand through First Class.  Then Days of Future Past and Deadpool had major upswings.  So maybe we are seeing a slow turning of strategy from Marvel (time to join forces rather than wait for them to fail), and we will eventually see more X-characters here too.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'm glad Disney doesn't own the X-Men, as much as they aggressively sanitize their properties. Movies like Deadpool and OML would not be possible.

Marvel owns a lot to Fox. Movies like Blade and the first X-Men movie are responsible for saving their brand, back when Disney had no interest in producing these films.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'm glad Disney doesn't own the X-Men, as much as they aggressively sanitize their properties. Movies like Deadpool and OML would not be possible.

Marvel owns a lot to Fox. Movies like Blade and the first X-Men movie are responsible for saving their brand, back when Disney had no interest in producing these films.
    To be fair, Blade wasn't a Fox movie, and Disney bought Marvel in 2009, after the start of the MCU.  I don't think Marvel owes X-Men much for brand recognition. I think they owe Blade and X-Men for starting the superhero movie craze, and in that sense they owe the Dark Knight trilogy too. But Marvel built their brand by making the MCU really good. They built the MCU based on good understanding of its characters and building a world. They made the "post credit tease for a future movie" a thing.

But I agree, I'm glad Marvel doesn't own the X-men. I loved Blade and I know it wouldn't have been made if it was part of the Disney machine. Punisher Warzone definitely wouldn't have existed. But if Disney did have the X-Men, I think we might have had better costumes.

• Dormammu
    Options
    Personally, watching the X-Men movies drives me absolutely bananas because of the total and complete fail at any semblance of continuity between films. This is made all the more prominent by the tight continuity the Marvel films have achieved. This is not to say there haven't been good X-films because I enjoy several of them, but with every new film they ignore much of what came prior. It's all made even muddier by the time-traveling soft-reset in Days of Future Past.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Personally, watching the X-Men movies drives me absolutely bananas because of the total and complete fail at any semblance of continuity between films. This is made all the more prominent by the tight continuity the Marvel films have achieved. This is not to say there haven't been good X-films because I enjoy several of them, but with every new film they ignore much of what came prior. It's all made even muddier by the time-traveling soft-reset in Days of Future Past.
    (continued from bold) of even trying to have the original X-Men as the "first class", the promotion of Mystique as good, Havok as Cyclops older brother, that sorry excuse for Apocalypse, missing a GREAT opportunity to make Days of Future Past as a two part movie (future, then present)...I could go on....