Anniversary & Thor Ragnarok: Expectations ?

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
The release pattern we are used to would suggest the following dates for new releases: 
  • 21th september 4*
  • 5th october 5*
  • 19th october 4*
  • 2 november 4*
  • 16th november 5*

But as R135 doens't have any clue for a new release, is it possible that we won't get any, or that we would get more characters in October ? 

We all know the anniversary is coming soon. I don't know the exact date (to my shame :'( ), but I know it's in October. So my guess is that October would be Anniversary month and November would be Thor month

For Thor month I'm expecting a 5* Thor (not that I want to - he's not in my favorite avengers - but the other important avengers are already in 5* land, so I guess Thor has to be there also?). And maybe a 4* Thor-related. I saw on other topics that most people would like or expect another Hulk. 
I think a 4* Hela would be awesome.  

As for the anniversary, I don't really know what to expect. Would we get another odd character like Howard ? (if so I would like to see the Collector, due to Infinity War incoming next year). Other heroes I would like ? Any new heroes really (but no variants). There are plenty heroes to add in the game. 

And I think most of us wouldn't mind if we get new content over new releases from time to time. So there's that too. As of new content I already said I would like more variety in mission in PvE, but I don't expect that so soon. But I would give a new release over a one-time 100k iso reward mission/event. It can be like recent Kaellicius or something hard, I don't mind. Just make it worth the hassle. 

What are your expectations and/or desires for the next 2 months ? 

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Howard was last april fools, Gwenpool came around last year's anniversary.  We've gotten a double 4* release with War Machine and Bucky, I don't think it's a stretch to see a back to back 5* release.  Or really I'm just excited that the anniversary character is usually an unexpected character and I'd love to see a (good) 5* character free from Disney influence. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not 100% convinced that no clue means no release, because they usually tell us that there's no release the rare times that happens. I'm more inclined to believe that enough people were at conventions and on vacation (like Brigby) that it simply slipped through the cracks. But I guess time will tell.

I'm hoping for two short PVP seasons. The "half-seasons" we've had in the past. Do one after the current season to get us through September, then another for Anniversary (with the events like "Class of 201X" where the previous year's new characters are boosted and Dino PVP, as well as Anniversary tokens for an Anniversary vault).

Theoretically, the September 21st would come out during the first short season, and would rotate into tokens at the start of the Anniversary season, which would get them into tokens faster (should the two half-seasons actually be a thing)

Excited for 5* Anniversary potential, because last Anniversary had Gwenpool, and the previous event announced 5*s, but the event itself was between Surfer and OML, and there are no MCU tie-ins, so it gives them a chance to really do something spectacular. I don't see them doing another limited character (I mean I do, just not for Anniversary). Definitely going to see a new boss event (2nd got us Galactus, 3rd had Boss Rush, 4th will AT LEAST have "Boss Rush that hopefully doesn't suck", if not a full blown new event). If that Sept 21st 4* is delayed a week, then I'd bet it, and the following 5*, and the new event all tie together. Like, Boss Doom, 5* God Emporer Doom, 4* Infamous Iron Man (aka Doom).

Last October's late-October character was a Blade variant as a rough Halloween tie-in. I predict a 4* Ghost Rider (Robbie if they go for the TV tie-in, but Danny would be acceptable). If we get a new character, maybe one of the Midnight Sons? We have GR, a second one, Hellstorm, maybe Morbius. An artist interested in a new (2017 onward) team suggested a roster of Moon Knight, Blade, Strange, Ghost Rider, and Hannibal King. Long shot of Hannibal as a shoutout? Who knows, I started with a prediction, now I'm rambling.

Next release is Nov 2nd 4*, but that's Ragnarok time. I expect a 4*/5* flip (like Spidey/Vulture) to put a 5* Thor out alongside his movie. Following that, a 4* Loki or Hulk MCU version seems likely, for the characters, the MCU tie-ins, and the fact that they are variants. I know people want Hela or Valkyrie, but experience with MPQ says they're "Yondu" characters. We'll keep saying how much we want them, they'll be a hit in the movie, the Devs will go "Oh snap, we should add them!" and we'll get a 4* Valkyrie when the Ragnarok home release happens. (Hela will be saved because of possible ramifications in the MCU at large, she could be relevant later on)

tl;dr

21 September 4* - My bet is that the clue is missing. This character is delayed to tie into an Anniversary theme, at best.

5th October 5* - Ties into an Anniversary theme. Someone big, probably someone people want, very likely NOT an MCU tie-in, simply because they don't get to do many non-MCU 5*s. (so I would rule out Thor, Hela, Adam Warlock, a possible Ant-Man & The Wasp combo, etc, as they may fit alongside an MCU theater/home release in the future)

19th October 4* - Halloween-ish release. Non-Johnny Ghost Rider is my bet, but another Midnight Son (or even one of Fury's Howling Commandos? :D

2 November 4* - 5* Thor. They'll pull another Vulture/Spidey swap to get Thor out with his movie.

16th November 5* - 4* Loki/Hulk, MCU version, almost certainly Ragnarok, second movie tie-in.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    My one goal for the anniversary is getting two more tokens (at least) for Devil Dinosaur so I can champ him :smiley:
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,111 Chairperson of the Boards

We have only had 1 comic book character version recently (Mockingbird) but Marvel Legacy is out September. The only one I could see them using from that though would be Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell). The other big one is The Runaways comic book, the solits for which tease the return of Gert – this would be quirky and a power where you get to use Old Lace would be fun.

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are two Marvel properties coming out on network TV in the very near future (Inhumans and Gifted).  I'm guessing the anniversary events will tie in to one or both of those, somehow.  Heavy lean towards Inhumans since "Gifted" is about mutants and treads on or near IP conflict.
  • DAZ0273
    Would not Lockjaw cover Inhumans though?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going to assume Gladiator Hulk 4* and MCU 5* Thor because we don't have one yet...and they tend to release a 5* MCU character when a movie comes out.
  • DAZ0273
    MCU Thor will be interesting though - will he be based on the MCU version pre: Ragnarok or be the short haired version who seemingly can wield lightning without his hammer from the trailers? I'm assuming people have seen the trailers here and non of this is spoilerific...

I would like a Gladiator Hulk.
  • vinsensual
    I think a marvel legacy related release would be really cool.  It's probably gonna be 2017s best selling single issue out of all comics and something big is bound to happen similar to Rebirth.  I'm not keeping up with rumors about what could happen but I'd love to see the next big release tie in with legacy.  
  • vinsensual
    Out of all those generations one shots I think Mar Vell won't be brought back outside of that one issue. Characters due to actually be revived or brought back would mainly be X related (cyclops, professor x, regular wolverine, adult Jean, Madrox! ).  
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    No clue doesn't mean that 4* is gone completely.   They could bombard us for Anniversary and have a 5/4 combo.
  • DAZ0273
    Well, y'know Dazzler is getting a one-shot...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know it's not a popular theory but I think we could see a 6* or even multiple 6*s released at the anniversary. 

Why?
    1. 5* acquisition rate / dilution is a growing problem. Adding a new impossible to get teir could allow them to makes everything below more accessible. 
    2. One of the biggest problems with 5*, other than acquisition rate, scaling, has been fixed in PvE and I don't think I to was ever a major problem in PvP (I could be wrong there, but PvP has so many low level problems it's not funny)
    3.  4*s were released on a the 2nd anniversary. So if they were to add a new tier every 2 years now would be the time. 
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    What about Dazzler?
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Howard was last april fools, Gwenpool came around last year's anniversary.  We've gotten a double 4* release with War Machine and Bucky, I don't think it's a stretch to see a back to back 5* release.  Or really I'm just excited that the anniversary character is usually an unexpected character and I'd love to see a (good) 5* character free from Disney influence. 
    FYI, there is no such thing as "free" from Disney influence when it comes to Marvel these days. Even if they only manage the licensing and marketing end, they have huge influence on the publishing end through that, and it's all tied in. There is only whether any particular thing is a short term or a long term plan. Believe me when I tell you that they build long range and they start nudging in the direction they want things to go long before you even have an inkling that it's in the works. At this point, they have a lot of experience pulling it off.

On the one hand, that's annoying in some aspects... but imo on the whole their management has been great for Marvel and means we have a lot to play with and nerd out over.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,796 Chairperson of the Boards
    Classic rate from a few weeks ago will happen and Thor will be the first 6*.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot said:
    Classic rate from a few weeks ago will happen and Thor will be the first 6*.
    6* Surtur.  A giant flaming sword smashes the board and you lose on the 3rd turn.  Sound fun?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    DAZ0273 said:
    Would not Lockjaw cover Inhumans though?
    He's part of it, but they didn't really do anything to play up the series.  No PvE event or other themed content (eg, the heroes for hire PvP series kicking off 3* Elektra coinciding with the Netflix releases).  I have to assume Marvel would be asking for some sort of push beyond an on-schedule character.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like to see some Crash of the Mad Titan action alongside dpd for the Anniversary.
    Pretty please?
    <insert picture of Puss in Boots giving the eyes here>
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Still hoping for a Watcher character...

Powers:
    • Watch - Watcher cannot be damaged, stunned, sent airborne, or be affected by any other status; Watcher does not make matches.
    • Nothing more to see - If all other team members are defeated or on a mission, the Watcher leaves.
    • Ultimate Nullifier - If paired with a Fantastic Four character, sends that character to get the Ultimate Nullifier.  The FF character is on a mission for X turns, after which they return with the Nullifier and instantly win the match.  If the Watcher leaves the match before this character returns, instantly lose the match.