4* Champ vs 2* farm

DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,613 Chairperson of the Boards

I have 3 max covered 4* – Iron Fist (lvl 176), Mordo (lvl 165) and Venom (lvl 111) waiting to champ but no 14th cover on the vine for them yet but I do have LT's and CP to use. My current 4* champs are XFW, C4ge, Coulson, Wasp and C&D.

I should pull in 195K iso from my 2* farm VERY shortly which will put me well on the way. At the same time I have at least 2/3 2* ready to champ again straight away to replace those who are flipping.

Where would you spend the iso? 4* Champ (and if so which one) or 2* farm? Or hoard until 14th cover pull?

Comments

• WalrusGooner
    WalrusGooner Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Me personally, I'd hoard until the 14th cover pull. But then I'm a bit behind you in roster development. If you get the choice, then from what I've seen, I'd champ 4ist, though Mordo does have his uses.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Fist is the best of those. For overall strategy, if you have the restraint, it's best to hoard tokens & CP until you've champed anyone you have at 13 covers. It's difficult to manage because you'll still get the occasional 4-star cover from champ & progression rewards as a 14th. ISO really becomes the bottleneck at the 4-star level and you have to start prioritizing which 4-stars are more important to you.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    What I do when I'm not using Iso chasing a 14th cover is to work on the 2 star farm. I went through a stressful time for about a month champing Mordo, Rocket & Groot and Iron Fist back to back to back to not lose covers. After that I spent Iso rechamping what 2*s I could. I'm now needing covers for Bullseye and Daken so the extra Iso is going in a 13 cover Drax. I'm also hoarding Latest and cp while I finish the 2*s at least.
  • DAZ0273
    Thanks guys. I'm sitting on my LT's and CP for timebeing and concentrating on iso gathering. Will be tough to abandon my farm but I can't fuel both. Iron Fist makes most sense to champ (not least for his synergy with C4ge) but as I have his black at 5 covers then he still packs a wallop if I need to use whilst saving to get there.

What are views on champing Venom? I know he got re-worked but I haven't really used him that much.

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Venom still sucks
  • DAZ0273
    That's a shame about Venom, guess I will be using my iso elsewhere for quite a while then as I already have one mediocre 4* champed.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    XFW, I assume you mean.

If you're that short on ISO then holding it may be better. If you're likely to have enough ISO the next time you have a 4* with a 14th cover waiting, I'd champ him anyways. I think "sucks" is probably selling him a little short, and nearly all 4*s are at least "pretty darn good" when their boosted week comes around.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Actually, I find Venom kind of fun to play after his rework, although that only moves him into the great middle of 4* that I only play when boosted. And since Kingpin isn't even in that group now, that's something.

He's much more "puzzley" now, and can hit pretty hard but is too slow for everyday use. But, he plays well with Medusa (those 1HP enemy shield tiles he drops count just as much as any enemy special) and his powers play well together. 
  • DAZ0273
    XFW, I assume you mean.

If you're that short on ISO then holding it may be better. If you're likely to have enough ISO the next time you have a 4* with a 14th cover waiting, I'd champ him anyways. I think "sucks" is probably selling him a little short, and nearly all 4*s are at least "pretty darn good" when their boosted week comes around.
    That's the one.

I don't have any iso reserves after champing C&D so am playing catch-up, currently my priorities are Iron Fist, Mordo, 2* Farm then Venom. It would be nice to bulk out my 4* play with more Champs even without 14th covers but that could get waylaid if other covers come up for other guys I have not too far away, such as Hulkbuster, Gwenpool, C4rol and Medusa, who I may want champed more. It is a bit of a shock, iso wise, moving from champing 3* to 4*, I could pretty much champ 3* as and when!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep farming and hoarding until you get the 14th cover for those characters.  None of them are top tier 4* that will greatly impact your play imo.  It pays dividends in the long haul to keep the farm rolling in my experience.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    XFW, I assume you mean.
    That's the one.

I don't have any iso reserves after champing C&D so am playing catch-up, currently my priorities are Iron Fist, Mordo, 2* Farm then Venom. It would be nice to bulk out my 4* play with more Champs even without 14th covers but that could get waylaid if other covers come up for other guys I have not too far away, such as Hulkbuster, Gwenpool, C4rol and Medusa, who I may want champed more.
    If you want to get some extra use out of your max-covered 4*s, you can raise them to level 172 or so before the ISO/level cost gets really high. On weeks where they're boosted they'll get up to ~255, which could be impactful depending on what level your boosted 3*s get to, and what your SCL is.

Even less expensive is leveling them to 131. They'll have about 2/3s of their level 270 ability damage (burst healing, strike strength, etc...) for only something like 5-10% of the total cost to level them.

I think the only reason to level a 13-cover 4* all the way to 270 and champed is if they're a really good 4*, and you ended up with the worst possible cover distribution (3/5/5 Carol or something). 

Otherwise you're probably better off just pooling the ISO so you can immediately champ a character shortly after you draw a 14th cover for them, or champing a 2* to keep the farm running.
  • DAZ0273
    Thanks for all the tips, guys, much appreciated.
  • DAZ0273
    So, seeing that C4rol was leaving Latest I decided to crack open some tokens, pulled a Black Iron Fist with the 2nd one, so that resolved that and I now have a shiny champed 4ist.
  • DAZ0273
    So - next conundrum - Cap Marvel vs Riri.

With Cap's yellow for Venom Bomb, she is now at 2/5/5 - I'm hoping that Heroes for Hire store will offer me her black (will check later). Otherwise, it is try my luck in classics or 120CP.

However - Riri red is prize for Unstable Iso8 which will put her at 5/4/4.

I know Riri is decent now but this is a no-brainer on C4rol, right?
  • DAZ0273
    Oh, I should add I have covers on vine for both.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Champ C4rol. Game-changing nuke.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Riri is good, but C4rol is game-changing. C4rol is my go-to whenever I need to take on a fight where I'm really outleveled. The team I build around her can vary quite a lot, but it's really rare that I don't use her when there's a super-tough fight to take on.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I agree that Carol >> Riri, but I don't think all things are equal here.

I think the choice is "buy, or try to pull a 13th Carol before the one on the vine dies" vs. "champ Riri since I already have the covers and one on the vine". To me this is a much different choice, and I would choose Riri. Another Carol cover will come soon enough; there seems to be opportunities to get her and you'll pull one eventually. And Riri is pretty useful better than most boosted.

My 2 cents, as always.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    And Riri is boosted in the current event and wrecks house
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Not really, C4rol is out of Latest. Another Riri will come along sooner. If you're saying champ her for one PvE event, I'd suggest that's pretty short-sighted.