I only skip a match-5 when...

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
...it's critical that I get off IM40's yellow and I can get 6 AP from two match-3s, but it's not possible to get the 6 AP after doing the match-5.

Comments

• Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ...a match 4 will kill off a whole bunch of muscle "Threaten"/Strike tiles or prevent a enemy CD Nuke/Strike/AOE resolve, it is in a colour that is not my strongest anyway and prevents me from getting a better cascade match, it will remove my highly improved strike/attack tiles and or it will remove my highly awaited CD tile resolve.

Basically a whole bunch of reasons why matching 5 is not always the best move.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If it would take out some of my tiles then I would just turn it into a match 3 or 4 instead. And if I'm fighting Teen Jean and matching it away wouldn't be enough to kill her then I'd leave it.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'll skip a match-5 and intentionally leave it in place when I have Jean on my team.  Or it's in a common strongest colour and I have 4* Carol on my team.  Or it's in a colour the opposition can't use and I have Mockingbird on my team.

Hmmm, maybe I'll give that combination a spin in Simulator.  Match-5, I dare you.

• donpidgeon
    donpidgeon Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I skip it when it's a Red Match-5 and I need Blade to continue to pump out Strike-tiles for Strange to take down Mobs.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    when it destroys my precious green tile (Thanos or R&G). 
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When racing through PVE, it is faster to make 1 simple high match on the easy nodes, than anything that may cascade and waste time.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've got Spider Woman's trap tiles out and one or more of them is in the clear path.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    when 2 or more demolition tiles will be tripped by the opponent picking it up.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ...I'm using Loki/Bl4de/C4rol
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ... When I'm trying not to inflict 'Move or be Moved' by 5* Black Panther... which really annoys me...
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    I skip them when fighting Jean.
    Or against Loki 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I still do them against Loki. He doesn't scare me.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When I am not paying attention (and against Teen Jean).  I always match 5 otherwise if I see it because I have found the extra damage and extra turn make up for just about every other possible downside to matching it, including the fact that if I don't match it, there is a decent chance the AI might next turn depending on the board. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pongie said:
    Anon said:
    Or against Loki 
     Soon to be added to this list: Mockingbird.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I miss them in a rush far more often than I skip them.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Some combination of the following reasons:

• It is not in a color I can actually use passively or actively
    • It IS in a color that I want my enemy to hit to trigger Carol or Loki benefits on my team.
    • I have a better match 4 which will be destroyed if I take the match 5
    • I'm facing Teen Jean or possibly (depending on who I'm using) 2* Storm.
    • It will kill off a tile I need to protect for just one more turn so it can do massive damage/save me/etc.
    • I freaking missed seeing it because I was so focused on another objective and am now kicking myself.

On average, I would say those times total up to less than 5% of 5-match availability.

• donpidgeon
    donpidgeon Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    • I freaking missed seeing it because I was so focused on another objective and am now kicking myself.

This happens way too often for me. It's like I don't want to win at this game.

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    I stopped doing that as frequently when I got Silver Surfer as my first 5* champ.  Then it became a question of risk vs reward.  Is the AP and critical damage worth the AoE to my team and limiting myself to just Surfer for a turn or two?  Usually, the answer was yes, but this was also before people were running around with level 300+ champed Jeans for me to reconsider.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I skip them because I often miss them. I sometimes wish there was a "whoops, I didn't mean to make that match-3 when there was a match-5 available!!!" button that I could use very rarely, such as once per week.