4* DDQ: Ant-Man vs Jean Grey

Options
DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
Didn't see a thread up for this yet, so I figured I'd start one of my own. 

I really wasn't expecting to win this fight for awhile. Ant-Man is one of my lower-covered characters at 2/2/3 Level 147. I had no idea who his Crash was against, so I was fairly relieved to see it was Teen Jean. 

I was able to get Ants! Ants! Ants! off several times. In all instances, the CDs resolved except for the last time I had fired it, when I was forced to match away two of them myself, as there was no other move. Most of my strikes survived for several turns as well. That, coupled with firing Pym Particles meant game over.

Another strategy that could have worked for me was firing blue then purple, as I think I had enough AP to do that. I don't play Ant-Man that much, but I believe that would have triggered his nuke instead of Pym Particles. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that. EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong. See clarification in the next post. Thanks, @mrcheddar for clearing up my bad info. 

I would have won without her even firing a power, but the game dropped a match 5 in my lap, triggering Psychic Feedback (surprisingly enough I didn't have one right off the top). Finished with about 2600 health. Token to the hoard. 

It's s fairly easy fight, so long as you avoid match 5s as much as you can and deny purple and green. Purple is pretty easy, since you want that for Pym Particles/Grow anyway. After that, I would prioritize yellow to get some strike tiles out, then blue.

Comments

• mrcheddar
    mrcheddar Posts: 58 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:

Another strategy that could have worked for me was firing blue then purple, as I think I had enough AP to do that. I don't play Ant-Man that much, but I believe that would have triggered his nuke instead of Pym Particles. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that

Nope, it doesn't work like that. If you fire Pym Particles that power becomes Grow, Small Time Crooks is still Small Time Crooks. And visa-versa. What is probably confusing you is that if you fire Grow (either purple or blue version) it removes all of Pym Particles and Small Time Crooks tiles.
  • DarthDeVo
    edited September 2017
    Options
    mrcheddar said:
    DarthDeVo said:

Another strategy that could have worked for me was firing blue then purple, as I think I had enough AP to do that. I don't play Ant-Man that much, but I believe that would have triggered his nuke instead of Pym Particles. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that

Nope, it doesn't work like that. If you fire Pym Particles that power becomes Grow, Small Time Crooks is still Small Time Crooks. And visa-versa. What is probably confusing you is that if you fire Grow (either purple or blue version) it removes all of Pym Particles and Small Time Crooks tiles.
     Cool, thanks for clarifying that. I had fired purple, then tapped on blue and noticed it said something like "This power becomes Grow" at the very end. So I thought maybe if I had fired that first, then when I fired purple it would have been Grow. 

So in order to get the nuke you either need to cast purple ---> purple or blue ---> blue, correct? 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This one was fairly easy for my 5/3/5 274 Antman. Got a Pym Particles off and 2 Ants!. Between all the strikes and attacks, Jean succumbed quickly.

To the hoard!!! 
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    2/3/3 lv. 120.

Would like to have leveled him to 168, but am in an iso crunch right now.

Took me about 10-12 tries, most ending after some good back and forths until she fires either her purple or green ability and that would be it. One I was very close to winning until doing a horizontal match 4 and the top row that dropped in had a match 5 in it. Two of the Jean just got a dream cascade at the beginning and just flat out whooped me.

Finally a board came my way with lots of yellow which I was able to keep her away from purple and green. Two fires of Ants together and I was off to the races. Eventally had 19 blue to finished her off by usung Small Time Crooks and Grow.

Token to the hoard.

If you are trying this with a low covered Ant-Man like I was then I would prioritize matches as Purple, Green, Yellow, Blue. Survivability then offense.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got it second try with my level 152 Ant-Man.  You can pretty much ignore blue in the match: Jean has no special tiles to steal, and she has a passive on blue so it can work out in your favour to let the AI take those matches.  Deny purple and green, and take yellow when you can.

The legendary token gave me a Mockingbird, with a bonus Vulture.
  • mrcheddar
    mrcheddar Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:

So in order to get the nuke you either need to cast purple ---> purple or blue ---> blue, correct? 
    Bingo.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Curious to see how the lower-covered Ant-men go in this, as mine is 2/1/3 lvl 131 and I have wiped pretty badly on the first 2 attempts (first time was my fault as I wasnt attempting to deny green)
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Curious to see how the lower-covered Ant-men go in this, as mine is 2/1/3 lvl 131 and I have wiped pretty badly on the first 2 attempts (first time was my fault as I wasnt attempting to deny green)
    Got it next try! LT was a champ level for carol
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    4/3/4 level 209 had no issues. One Ants! one Particles, and that was it.

Purple Deadpool to 3/1/2, might make for an interesting Crash coming up.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    280s Ant-Man: Took me a while to build up to his purple/blue powers. I think the power uses went Full of Surprises (in which Jean immediately 4-matched all the Specials besides a Protect), Ants x3, Pym Particles... By the time she had purple for Mind Over Matter, I had a blue and another yellow ready to launch and I let her clear some tiles first to not waste the countdowns. After stealing the Protect and more Attack tiles came in from the trap, it was pretty fast.

LT became a champ level for FalCap which in turn gave me a champ level for Carnage.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Had more trouble than expected with 5/4/5 L274.  Still only took 2 or three tries with no boosts.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Had more trouble than expected with 5/4/5 L274.  Still only took 2 or three tries with no boosts.

I had more trouble with a Lv270 4/4/5 than I expected.  The first try had her get a large purple cascade which wrecked me after a couple turns.  The next try I had 3-4 match-5's fall from the sky, which had the same effect.  The third try, I ended up with 18 purple (she prioritized blue for some reason), so a punch to the face after an Ants-Ants-Ants resolved won it handily.

The token got me a purple Kingpin.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Level 272 champed, easy enough. Denied Purple, let the ants tear her down.

Token pull was a Yondu, and a bonus Mockingbird.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Level 272 champed, easy enough. Denied Purple, let the ants tear her down.

Token pull was a Yondu, and a bonus Mockingbird.
     Dang, that was a good pull! 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kahmon said:
    2/3/3 lv. 120.

Would like to have leveled him to 168, but am in an iso crunch right now.

Took me about 10-12 tries, most ending after some good back and forths until she fires either her purple or green ability and that would be it. One I was very close to winning until doing a horizontal match 4 and the top row that dropped in had a match 5 in it. Two of the Jean just got a dream cascade at the beginning and just flat out whooped me.

Finally a board came my way with lots of yellow which I was able to keep her away from purple and green. Two fires of Ants together and I was off to the races. Eventally had 19 blue to finished her off by usung Small Time Crooks and Grow.

Token to the hoard.

If you are trying this with a low covered Ant-Man like I was then I would prioritize matches as Purple, Green, Yellow, Blue. Survivability then offense.
    Thank you for this post! Likewise I was getting nowhere with trying to attack and my Antman is languishing mid level, lost 8 times I think, so following reading your post I switched to defence and won on next go.
  • KillaBeeSwarm
    KillaBeeSwarm Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Any hope/advice for a 0/3/2 Ant-Man? 
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Took 3 tries with a lv 207 5/4/2 Ant-man.  First couple times she was able to use Mind over matter fairly quickly to wipe out my special tiles.  Third time I was able to fire Ants ants ants! and pym particles pretty quickly so I was able to just wear her down.  

LT gave me champed Nova getting him up to 273
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Got her on my sixth try with a 2/2/3 lv 147. After firing "grow," I had 199 health and she had 33. The only match available to me was green, which did 36 damage. Whew.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was going to say, "no," but just realized I didn't fire Ant-Man's purple at all the time I finally won.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    I don't play Ant-Man much, but I would say the strategy would still probably be the same: Go for purple and green to deny Jean her powers. You might want to focus on blue after that so you can double cast blue to get the nuke right away. But yellow for the strikes don't hurt either.