Should I sell a 5* to help with PvE scaling?

Options
AardvarkPepper
AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
edited September 2017 in Roster and Level Help
I have a lot of 2*s at lvl 96-125.  (I stopped playing for a couple years I think? and championing characters was introduced while I was away.)

I have six 3*s at level 167+.  (Steve Rogers, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine, Psylocke, Black Panther.  (I might have prioritized Thanos and Dr Strange but those were introduced while I was away so I'm catching up).  I have no other heroes at 13 covers except Human Torch, and I don't like using him much as he has pretty low hit points.

I have a LOAD of 4*s at level 70-78 mostly at 1-2 covers, the exception being a 5/4/3 lvl 166 4* Wolverine and a 4/2/3 level 70 4* Invisible Woman.

Then I have a lvl 255 5* Jean Grey.

So I'm fighting these PvE events and going in at I think level 7 because that's the highest I can go in as my S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank is 35.  And I'm fighting like level 280 ridiculous enemies . . .  Right now I have 3* Psylocke boosted by the event, so I have level 254 (for the event!) 3* Psylocke, and a couple level 187 2*s (Captain Marvel and Thor).  But yeah, against level 280 enemies woo.

I've read that your maximum level characters determine the level of enemies in PvE.  So my 4* lvl 70s are not really an issue, I think?

But I do have that lvl 255 5* Jean Grey.  Should I just sell it?  I'm not using her, and if it drops the PvE significantly, I *could* really use that.

I thought about doing events at lower levels maybe, but rank 7 gets 4* covers, and I like that.  Rank 6 only gets 3* covers (and there I'm still fighting high level enemies in the end anyways; I'd have to drop a LOT of ranks to get noticeably easier enemies, even out of 3* cover range)

(Also as a side note - does 2* Hawkeye now give 3* Hawkeye as bonus covers instead of 3* Iron Man?  I think so?  any confirmation?)

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First off, welcome back!

Another change while you were gone was to the scaling in PvE events. They are now based on the SCL you choose.  If the enemies in SCL 7 are too hard, just drop down to 5 or 6 and you should have an easier time. When you join the event, on the SCL selection screen it will tell you the levels of the enemies you will face.  I know the rewards are lower level in 5 and 6, but you may be better off building a good base before trying to jump into SCL 7.
    The only way your Jean could hurt you is in PvP, but I doubt a single cover will hurt you much there either. You may get paired against higher opponents because of it, but my understanding is that it takes multiple 5*s or leveling your one up much higher than 255 before it hurts you.
    It will be a loooong time before that Jean will be useful, so if you want the roster room for a 3* or 4* then you should be fine to sell it, but you will eventually want to have everyone rostered, so I would hold onto it.
  • AardvarkPepper
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, and the welcome back!

I did see that if I went in at lower SCL that my enemy levels would be lower.  But *within* SCLs, is there also a change in enemy levels depending on roster?

e.g. if I'm at SCL 7 with level 280 opponents with a 5* level 255 hero and other heroes mostly at a base of level 166ish, **if I sold the 5* level 255 hero, would my SCL 7 then have level 210 opponents maybe?**  (With some of my level 166s being boosted by event)

If NOT then yeah that would be a tremendous relief, I don't want to dump a rare 5* and I have plenty of roster spots (lol for now anyways)
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No, selling your 5* will not change your opponents in PvE at all. The scaling is (currently) hard coded to only the SCL you join. This was a change they made just a few months ago.

My advice would be to drop down to SCL 5 or 6 for a while, and fill out your roster with all the 2* and 3* you don't currently have, get some of them to champion levels, then the SCL 7 opponents will become easier. Then you can start working on building your 4* inventory.  Every event will have 3 essential nodes that will require a different 2*, 3*, and 4* respectively. You will eventually want to have everyone rostered so you don't miss out on those matches.
  • AardvarkPepper
    Options
    Thanks!  I think I will do just that  :):)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

(Also as a side note - does 2* Hawkeye now give 3* Hawkeye as bonus covers instead of 3* Iron Man?  I think so?  any confirmation?)
    Yes, that's correct.

Also, while you're right, Human Torch does have lower than average hit points, they're not that low; 93% of "average" characters like Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Blade, and so on, and notably better than Wolverine, Daken, Bullseye, and the Hood. He's definitely lower than the Hulk, Thor, Steve, and Black Panther, but those characters all have (in some cases substantially) higher than average hit points.

Torch's benefit is the damage he does for the AP you spend. It's pretty bananas for 3* characters. Fireball just puts Psychic Knife, Mjolnir's Might, and Smash all to shame, and Flame Jet puts out extremely reasonable damage turn after turn (just build up to 12+ green AP first, and don't fire it if there's a green match on the board)