PVP play question

champg0951
champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
Now that I have a roster that can somewhat compete in PVP, I would like give it a go. So, here are some questions I have before I jump in.

1. I start by playing/climbing with my 3 best fits (teamup) for the PVP event. When I'm done because healthpacks, how do I know when to shield/leave unshielded?

2. How many points is my team worth to others? 

3. Is the team I stopped playing with my defensive team?

4. How is the team I'm going against points determined?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and or providing tips/feedback

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    1.  It takes time to learn your float point.  Generally shoot for 500, 700, 900 and calibrate from there.

2.  It all depends on the difference between your current score and his current score at time of match.  your roster has no direct effect on the point value of your team.

3.  Generally the team that has the most total amount of levels.  There is a window around that windows in which you can substitute chars but formula isn't fully understood.

4.  Many Many Many factors affect which team is presented to you for attack.  Too many to fully list here.  join line, join a BC and experiment.  your specific roster and char levels will affect your mmr band, as will number of active unshielded players.  Ultimately this is the most important and difficult to predict question in the game.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Looked you up in game, you should be able to do pretty good with your roster. Definitely will be able to hit 900, typically good for t25-50 if you care to shield out for placement. Using a shield or two will end up being HP neutral, as you should earn the HP during the event you spend on shields. I usually play S1, the ending times on Versus events are less important, you probably don't want to be unshielded in the last 9 hrs anyway. There are usually bigger rosters hopping and you'll be easy points. Before I champed my 1st 5* I had a similar roster, I found I was generally able to float around 500-600. Sometimes I would take a few hits, don't worry about it. Get to your float point between the start of the event and 36 hours left. Then between 12-24 hours finish to 900, shield out there (for placement), costs a 300 HP shield and is the easiest method to start getting your feet wet. As you get more experience and a feel for what is going on with all the other players you will be able to exploit that to your advantage.

To answer your questions:
    1) Agree with Phumade, EXPERIMENT, you'll find it. Climb as high as you can and watch the fall, generally where you stop is your float point. The boost list can cause this to vary depending on who you have on it. 

2 & 4) These have the same answer really. Somewhere in the archives here is a general idea of how the points are determined. I know a 38 point battle is against someone with the same or nearly the same points. As your points go higher than your opponents the points per battle go down and vice versa. 75 points is the max you will see though, there is a cap! 

3) If you are just playing for yourself, with no gimmicks or games, you are most likely using your "A" team. So the answer is, yes, that is your defensive team. Things get sticky if you try to leave an easier team as a trap, the game won't let you undersell yourself TOO much.

One more thing, I don't necessarily agree with Phumade on joining a BC. I'm not in one and I don't plan to join. Most importantly, play how you want to play! Whether it's with or without coordination. 

Hope this helps!!! Have fun and good luck!!!! 
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Champ. 
    1.  Determining whether or not to shield all depends on how high you want to climb, what shard you are playing, and what teams you are willing to try to take on.  If you're aiming for 900, you should be able to do that just about anywhere on one shield with the amount of 4* you have.  If you want to try for 1200+, maybe go to 1, 3 or 4 because there are more points available there and more coordinating.  But beware, the higher a shard scores, the tougher placement is. As a general idea though, climb til you reach a point where you start taking hits.  This is the point where you're a target, this is the point to shield at.  Maybe even try climbing and falling a few events to find your peak.

2.The amount of points your team is worth to others depends on your score and their score.  If you're at 500 and I'm at 500, I'll get 38 points from you.  If you're at 900 and I'm at 0, I'll get about 70-75.  However, the amount of points you *lose* from hits is a smaller percentage of points the attacker gains if your score is low, a higher percentage if your score is high, finally becoming 100% points gained/lost once you reach 1,000 points.

3. The last team you won a battle with is your defensive team, so long as it isn't significantly lower than the last team you used.  General rule of thumb, if you're using 4*, as long as the last team you used includes 4*, that's what will be out.  If you used all 3*, the game would likely not set that on defense for you, but revert to whatever your previous team was.

4.  Determining the points of the teams you are fighting.  Your targets are given a value based on their points relative to yours.  To test out different point differentials and what values they yield, look up an elo calculator on the internet, set the K value for 75, and enter different scores.  MPQ  uses the same formula to determine your targets scores.  

One final note.  It was recommended to join Line and join a check room.  It's recommended pretty often on the forums.  The pros of joining a check room are : Easier climbs - With everyone there skipping you, you take less hits.  Easier hops - same as above, but high point targets will tell you when they unshield, so you can get higher value targets.  More social - some check rooms are really big, so a lot more people to chat with than the 19 in your alliance. Coaching - there are vets in most check rooms who are able to give constant tips on maximizing hops and pushing higher.  You'll be targeted -  if you don't use a check room and hit someone too much, their friends in The check room will target you and hit you more.  The cons?  Longer climbs - if people have to skip you, you have to skip them unless they're shielded, so you have less targets and hence a longer climb.  More drama -  there is a ton of political nonsense and drama that goes along with checks and pvp.  Doesnt happen 100% of the time, but happens often enough.  You'll be targeted - if youre in a check room, there will always be people outside that room looking to hit the members of that room (can't win on this one either way).  So, benefits and drawbacks.  You decide how you want to play. Do whatever is the most fun for you. 
  • champg0951
    champg0951 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In

PhumadeMilk JugzWelcome Death 

Thanks guys for the information and tips! With this I am ready to tackle the PVP world. Hopefully I won't be going against you guys along the way lol 

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017

PhumadeMilk JugzWelcome Death 

Thanks guys for the information and tips! With this I am ready to tackle the PVP world. Hopefully I won't be going against you guys along the way lol 

All good advice. I think you should be able to get to 900 if you climb hard, shield once and find big targets to hop on.

if you want to get to 1200, then a Check room is probably required. I'd give it a try anyway, if you don't enjoy it you don't have to use them, but you'll get a good understanding of shard dynamics in any case.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Champ. 
    1.  Determining whether or not to shield all depends on how high you want to climb, what shard you are playing, and what teams you are willing to try to take on.  If you're aiming for 900, you should be able to do that just about anywhere on one shield with the amount of 4* you have.  If you want to try for 1200+, maybe go to 1, 3 or 4 because there are more points available there and more coordinating.  But beware, the higher a shard scores, the tougher placement is. As a general idea though, climb til you reach a point where you start taking hits.  This is the point where you're a target, this is the point to shield at.  Maybe even try climbing and falling a few events to find your peak.

2.The amount of points your team is worth to others depends on your score and their score.  If you're at 500 and I'm at 500, I'll get 38 points from you.  If you're at 900 and I'm at 0, I'll get about 70-75.  However, the amount of points you *lose* from hits is a smaller percentage of points the attacker gains if your score is low, a higher percentage if your score is high, finally becoming 100% points gained/lost once you reach 1,000 points.

3. The last team you won a battle with is your defensive team, so long as it isn't significantly lower than the last team you used.  General rule of thumb, if you're using 4*, as long as the last team you used includes 4*, that's what will be out.  If you used all 3*, the game would likely not set that on defense for you, but revert to whatever your previous team was.

4.  Determining the points of the teams you are fighting.  Your targets are given a value based on their points relative to yours.  To test out different point differentials and what values they yield, look up an elo calculator on the internet, set the K value for 75, and enter different scores.  MPQ  uses the same formula to determine your targets scores.  

One final note.  It was recommended to join Line and join a check room.  It's recommended pretty often on the forums.  The pros of joining a check room are : Easier climbs - With everyone there skipping you, you take less hits.  Easier hops - same as above, but high point targets will tell you when they unshield, so you can get higher value targets.  More social - some check rooms are really big, so a lot more people to chat with than the 19 in your alliance. Coaching - there are vets in most check rooms who are able to give constant tips on maximizing hops and pushing higher.  You'll be targeted -  if you don't use a check room and hit someone too much, their friends in The check room will target you and hit you more.  The cons?  Longer climbs - if people have to skip you, you have to skip them unless they're shielded, so you have less targets and hence a longer climb.  More drama -  there is a ton of political nonsense and drama that goes along with checks and pvp.  Doesnt happen 100% of the time, but happens often enough.  You'll be targeted - if youre in a check room, there will always be people outside that room looking to hit the members of that room (can't win on this one either way).  So, benefits and drawbacks.  You decide how you want to play. Do whatever is the most fun for you. 
    This is some great advice. But how do someone see if you are shielded or unshielded (if you don't tell them) and how can a friend of someone I hit can hit me ? I mean he can't choose what opponents to see.. he just skips the targets and choose someone eventually. Wouldn't he be lucky to come across exactly myself ?
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor

This is some great advice. But how do someone see if you are shielded or unshielded (if you don't tell them) and how can a friend of someone I hit can hit me ? I mean he can't choose what opponents to see.. he just skips the targets and choose someone eventually. Wouldn't he be lucky to come across exactly myself ?
    In simple terms, if someone tells you they are unshielded, you can find them. If they then tell you subsequently that they have shielded, you can hit them without them losing points.

This is what Line gives people - the above but on a large scale.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 said:

You can't tell if they are shielded or unshielded without coordinating with other players in various brackets.  Player tracking and targeting is pretty well refined.  The better your roster becomes, the easier it is for other players to track your play.

Players don't choose opponents, the match making system does.  and players can nudge and affect how the MMR works.

Lucky only in the sense that they only need a rough approximation of your score and the teams used to be able to que you up.

• adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Everyone has left awesome information. Just give yourself a couple of events to get a feel for when to climb and when to shield. Before i joined line, i would look for people higher up in my bracket with similar (or beatable) rosters and try to q them when i saw them unshield. That served me pretty well for a long time. Maybe a bit more iso intensive from skipping more than necessary, but i hit 1200 my first time doing that
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Oh, be nice though and let them shield up again before you hit them :)
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    D4Ni13 said:
    Champ. 

Not really.  Once you get to higher scores oo(900+), it's pretty easy to find a specific person.  
  • Melovingu1
    Melovingu1 Posts: 63 Match Maker
    I'm In a alliance now but they don't talk skills & help or tactics, but I can play how l want to till my 4*get stronger & they're vip's @ 23 champ 4's now, how do l find a check room 
  • Milk Jugz
    @Melovingu1

Do you have the Line app?
  • Melovingu1
    Line & kik 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    In a good shard and with a strong roster, it's no problem to hit 1200 even if you are not in a battle chat. However, BCs make it a lot easier to reach high scores. If you are willing to put in the effort, it's definitely worth it to take part.
  • Milk Jugz
    @Melovingu1

Best thing I can think of, if you don't know someone in a bc already, is to go to the alliance section of the forums. Get into one of the Line merc rooms and start asking for an invite into a battle chat for whatever shard you play. What shard so you usually play anyway?
  • Melovingu1
    Thxs Everybody