Do you trust the suggested match?

Deadsider
Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion

Do you trust the suggested match? 66 votes

When I just need a match, any will do
7%
madsaladCosmicWolfJaedenkaalPants1000Spidurman27 5 votes
Given a choice between one I found or the suggested I always pick mine. I don't trust it!
77%
DormammuYasurusinnerjflslaxer723TaganovDapperChewieDartmaster01IlDuderinoCrookedKnightTiggidasnlf25MalevolentropyMattjimfRiguezfrachrBlindman13DFiPLMoosePrimeWarbringaSTOPTHIS 51 votes
Given a choice between one I found or the suggested I always pick the suggested. It may know something I don't!
1%
rdvargas1 1 vote
Thanos
6%
grunzadinragnaradyGrumpySmurf1002Stax the Foyer 4 votes
Ragequit
7%
Orionbycdave7099Roland113bob554 5 votes

Comments

• Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Given a choice between one I found or the suggested I always pick mine. I don't trust it!
    I wondered if anyone else gets in their head when they see an unhelpful match suggested when you don't see anything else helpful either. Do you have any superstitious thoughts that the suggested match is the worst choice? Or maybe it knows something you don't? For that matter, is a match just a match?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    See my list of conspiracy theories.

The suggested match always leads to a match-4 or match-5 for the opponent. This is obviously coded into the game.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never take candy from strangers. Or "helpful suggestions" from opponents. Or candy from babies. Or helpful suggestions from babies.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    It's the same as the policy on naming a street after Chuck Norris .... It's a bad idea, because no one crosses Chuck Norris and lives!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    No one crosses Chuck Norris at all.  When they try, he kicks them back.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ragequit
    I've quit more than 1 match because I had a series of only 1 choice of a match and it's 1) not in my color and 2) it leads to a match 4 or 5 for my opponent.  Even if it's a fight that I'd still win easily.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    If it's a suggested match and it's not the only one I will never take it, sometimes even against what is theoretically "best" for me/my team at that moment.

Too many times I have taken a different match and gotten a great result, and too many times I have taken the suggested one - only to have tiles fall perfectly for my opponent to get the last 2 blacks they need to fire an attack or cascade a bunch of AP gathering, etc.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Considering how the AI is pretty shackled, I dont trust its suggestions for myself either.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I trust suggested matches about as much as I trust Baby Groot to make a decent match for me.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    I only pick the suggested if I can't find one on my own
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017

Back in the day I posted an image of a suggested match-4.  Not far from it was a match-5 (in a line, not a T).

:edit: Hah, found it here.

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nah. It's not that I don't trust the AI or anything it's just that I don't trust the AI or anything.

Now that's not to say I don't sometimes mess up when making my own matches by taking a -4 when a -5 was just sitting there, but at least that's on me. If I take the AI's suggestion and then the AI gets a critscade, that leads to hard feelings.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Never trust the suggested match! I thought everybody and their mother knew that was a trap.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only time I use the suggested match is when it is the only match left on the board.  In reality though, I have usually found the suggested match to not be the optimal match on most boards, but every once in a while it is.  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    None of the options match my thoughts which is, if the points are good and I feel I can beat the team, sure.  Otherwise I skip until I find the match up I'm looking for.  So it depends.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    broll said:
    None of the options match my thoughts which is, if the points are good and I feel I can beat the team, sure.  Otherwise I skip until I find the match up I'm looking for.  So it depends.
    I think the poll is about the AI's suggestion for our next move (the blinking tiles if we don't make a match within 5 seconds)
    Oh that makes more sense.  I only rely on that if I'm looking at the screen for a while and don't see anything else.  So yeah if I get it I take it, but usually I've matched before it even suggests.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I usually don't even see the suggested match unless there's only one match on the board and it's a team-up match or something super low-priority I wasn't looking for.  As such, if I see the suggested match, it's basically a guarantee that I'm looking carefully over the whole board trying to find something that doesn't suck as bad as the suggested match, and failing.

So yeah, I almost always take it under those circumstances.
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Calnexin said:
    Never take candy from strangers. Or "helpful suggestions" from opponents. Or candy from babies. Or helpful suggestions from babies.
    and never take babies from strangers
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I basically ignore it unless I can't find another match on my own. If it's the match I was going to make anyways, fine.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I rarely take long enough to get offered it - and if I'm playing well I won't ever see it.  So by the time it's offered, I'd rather just move and keep the match moving vs squeezing out optimal moves.