Did the Marvel Licence draw you into MPQ?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm curious, what drew you to this game? What it the Marvel? Or the Puzzle Quest?

Did the Marvel Licence draw you into MPQ? 114 votes

I didn't know anything about Marvel or Puzzle Quest when I started playing
0% 0 votes
I liked the original Puzzle Quest so I gave this a shot
11% 13 votes
It's the Marvel license that sold me
59% 68 votes
I was a Marvel and a Puzzle Quest fan - this is a perfect marraige
28% 32 votes
I only play because my significant other makes me, stop asking dumb questions
0% 1 vote

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Absolutely it was the marvel license, I was just looking for a new game for my phone and it was one of those recommended games, so I took a chance on it solely based on it being marvel. Two years later and I'm still hooked.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started playing because I saw an ad for the Ultron boss event, and I had heard members of Funhaus mention the game a few times. Figured I had the time to check it out, and I've been playing ever since. But I only play because of the license. (it's not strictly Marvel, I think I would enjoy a very similar game with DC or Star Wars or even Disney characters, maybe, but I've had no interest in the other PQ games that exist, you know?)

As an aside, Boss events are like the worst time to advertise the game, because they are extremely unfriendly to brand new players.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd been playing a lot of Bejeweled, and wanting something with a bit more depth to it, and ran across someone's mention of this as a Match-3 game with Marvel characters, conveniently mixing two of my interests.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Long and short of it: Yes it drew me in, but it's not what kept me playing.

Signed,
    It took me less time than this to stop playing Candy Crush Soda Saga every day.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,529 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017

Got into this game because my oldest friend (who got me into Marvel in the '80s) suggested it to me, so don't really see an option for me in this poll.

Probably wouldn't have kept playing if it wasn't a Marvel thing though, so even though the Marvel license didn't hook me in, it did keep me here.

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    None of the above / Other

I was familiar with Marvel properties in a broad sense, and had not heard of Puzzle Quest specifically. I was looking for a free to play game to fill down time while traveling. I think i just saw this a recommended option in iTunes.  Now, 3 years later, I'm a VIP playing 2-3 hours a day.....
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mostly the Marvel license. I hadn't played a Puzzle Quest title before, but I'm a sucker for a good Match 3 game, and this definitely fits the bill. 

JHawkInc said:
    I started playing because I saw an ad for the Ultron boss event, and I had heard members of Funhaus mention the game a few times. Figured I had the time to check it out, and I've been playing ever since. But I only play because of the license. (it's not strictly Marvel, I think I would enjoy a very similar game with DC or Star Wars or even Disney characters, maybe, but I've had no interest in the other PQ games that exist, you know?)

As an aside, Boss events are like the worst time to advertise the game, because they are extremely unfriendly to brand new players.
    Same. It was the initial run of Civil War for me, I believe. I had no idea what I was doing. 
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Started playing because it was a new Puzzle Quest game.  I like the Marvel tie-in a lot, but it's not enough to make me start playing a game (the only other Marvel games I play are because of the gameplay similarity to other games I like).  The Puzzle Quest name, on the other hand, was an instant draw.

I'd play a real Puzzle Quest 3 over MPQ in a hot second, but the two wouldn't really compete.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    It was just the Puzzle Quest that had me playing. It's actually the opposite in that I've wanted to learn more about Marvel because of the game.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I like match 3 games and Marvel, but never heard of puzzle quest specifically. I think mpq was high on the itunes charts so I just tried it out. I got more into Marvel since, both the game and the movies and tv shows. I bought a few digital comics, then tried marvel unlimited for a year. Also some of my favorite podcasters wrote some stuff and I wanted to check it out. Ended up reading a good number of comics, but there is just so much that it was a little daunting.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    It was the Marvel name for me. I would have uninstalled on the first day if not for Marvel. Also, all the things I like about the game directly tie into my like for Marvel. And all the things I dislike about the game, I only tolerate because of my like for Marvel.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,910 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017

Marvel is what brought me here, Marvel is what keeps me here. I have very little interest in the other mobile Puzzle Quest games but I have heard such great things about the original Puzzle Quest that I am tempted to check it out someday.  Although, to the devs credit I have tried other Marvel related phone games but this is the only one that keeps me coming back. :)
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    I really enjoyed PQ: Challenge of the Warlords on xbox 360 back in the day. Even bought the expansion for it. That's what drew me in, and I really didn't know what I was getting into with MPQ. I just expected a single player story, 20 hours or so and then I'd be done with it. But here I still am. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    if the game was 'puzzle quest' i'd be playing something else.
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    To be honest, I was looking for a replacement when Marvel Avengers Alliance was shut down (which is still, imho, the best browser/mobile game to this day). Saw MPQ on Steam and decided to give it a go. Blasted all of my HP on heroic tokens etc., after reading a few guides and gaining some general game knowledge I decided to start over and move from Steam to Android. It's now almost one and a half year that I'm playing. *I'm hooked on a feeling playing in the background*
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played the original Puzzle Quest for well over 100 hours on my Nintendo DS, around 10 years ago. So when I saw this new version, I was hooked almost immediately. Here I am, 3 years later....