What is your favourite Marvel moment? (May contain spoilers)

Options
talleman
talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
In movies, series or comics. What is your favourite moment?

One of my favourites is when Loki gets smashed by the Hulk in the Avengers movie after trying to explain to the Hulk how everyones beneath him. Its hillarious :)

Comments

• Eagledave
    Eagledave Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Groot's explanation of why he doesn't like hats in GotG2 is my current favourite.

One of many faves TBH
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Right here. I remember reading this in the actual comic and being like YES. GET IT.

Seems super corny now, but 13-year-old me got chills. 

Also, Google is amazing. I typed "Spider man lifting train car" and the exact single panel from the exact comic I was thinking of was the first result in images.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thor riding the subway in London
    Loki telling Thor to press the button gently
    Loki disguised as Captain America
    The receipt for the "bird costume"
    Captain America is not stealing a car, he's borrowing it
    Every interaction between Peggy Carter and Dotty
    Jessica Jones saying "Jewel" should be a stripper's name
    The face Bucky makes when Black Panther tries to claw his face
    Coulson: "It's a magical... place"

I could do this all day.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I never really read the comics growing up because there were so freaking many and I wouldn't know where to start, and I unfortunately I still don't, for the same reasons. I did however watch whatever shows and movies were on, and began specifically hunting down things on Netflix and other streaming services. There's a lot of glorification of the X-Men and The Avengers (past & present, so yeah I mean good ol' Spidey), and I don't feel that's changed since the 90s. 

Because of that, I never really thought much of street-level heroes, like Daredevil. His series changed that. I understand that it might not be a direct adaptation of any specific storylines in his comics, so the writers get to add or change certain things as they see fit, but I feel that they've done an exceptional job of characterizing him. The thematic focuses on his morality and addressing the question of what it really means to be a hero...I'm not afraid to say it, it's honestly some of the best writing I've seen in my life. As a lawyer, Matt Murdock is about as straight-laced as they get, he's a living, breathing definition of what it means to do no wrong. I've always considered heroes like him to be boring, people that don't really have any kind of inner demons or personal faults that they struggle with. However Matt's problems much deeper than they appear on the surface - like when he's forced to choose between his legal work and his vigilante work, or breaking his anti-kill code because he knows jail isn't enough to stop a powerful enough villain. It's these kinds of moral quandaries the writers slide in that make me feel more connected to the character. I'm torn on a favorite moment: 

1) Killing Wilson Fisk - Matt's nature as a devout Catholic turned out to be one of my favorite elements of his show. I love the scenes where he visits the priest for advice, and I rewinded his counsel on Kingpin several times. Matt cryptically asks about whether its right to kill Kingpin for all the things he's done and may continue to do, and the priest sees right through him. He tells Matt that what he's really struggling between, is knowing that he has to kill Kingpin but not wanting to, and knowing that he doesn't have to kill Kingpin, but wants to for personal reasons. It was incredibly deep. He had another quip about another man's evil deeds not making your deeds good by default, can't remember for sure if it was the same scene. 

2) "You're just one bad day away from being me." - The dialogue between Daredevil and The Punisher defending their opposing stances on killing was nothing short of amazing. To date, I've never seen Hero and Anti-Hero seriously duking it out with words over who's way is more right. It ultimately made me respect Daredevil's resolve that much more. It was something that I more or less had taken for granted because he was a lawyer, of course he's always going to believe in leaving it up to the law. But hearing him defend his side so passionately using a moral high ground rather than a legal one, against some pretty compelling counterpoints from Frank, I was fully sold on Daredevil as a REAL hero. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    While the movies and television shows are great and full of epic or funny moments, the comics they pull from are so rich with history I don't even know where to begin answering this. Claremont's X-Men, Byrne's Fantastic Four, Simonson's Thor, DeFalco's Spider-Man, Shooter's Secret Wars... the 80s were a cheesy decade but my god they were a defining decade for Marvel. I guess one moment will always stand out to me.

Amazing Spider-Man #269-270

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punisher's monologue in S2 of Daredevil.

Every time David Tennant said "Jessica".

Daredevil S1's hallway fight.

The long tracking shot (which was really more than just one shot) in the Avengers when they're battling the Chitauri

The look on Thor's face when Steve almost picks up Mjolnir in A2

The car conversation in Homecoming

"I am Iron Man."
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So many great moments but two stuck out that haven't been mentioned...

- The post credits scene in the first Iron Man with Nick Fury, that made me go 'Hell yeah!'. The Avenger's Initiative... 

- And in Civil War, a brilliant callback to the Civil War Comic. No, not that bit where he blocks the repulsors with his shield, but when Cap is beating on Tony, and Friday analyses his attacks and helps Tony fight back. In the comic, he talks about seeing every fight Cap had ever been in and analysing them all. Small details, but so awesome.

Oh, and Michael Pena. Genius.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My favorite has to be Daredevil beating down Kingpin in issue #300. Not for the beatdown (which was epic), or for the systematic dismantling of his empire (also epic), but for what came after.

The issue ends with Matt standing over a broken Wilson Fisk, the man who has at one time or another taken from DD pretty much everything you can possibly take from a man. You can see that he has to do something he doesn't want to do. His expression looks like he just stood downwind from D-Man. His word bubbles say "The words don't come easy."

And then he says to Kingpin "I forgive you." He thinks to the audience that without forgiveness, everything that just happened is nothing more than petty revenge, the continuation of a cycle of hostility between the two men. He's hoping that by forgiving Wilson, he can put a stop to the cycle, or at least that the next time they meet it will be with a fresh perspective toward each other. And then he thinks again:

"The words don't come easy."
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    One really stands out to me, from my childhood, but I can't remember if it was the "real" version or the "What If?" version. Heck, maybe it was both. When the remaining heroes gathered to launch the assault on an Infinity Gauntlet clad Thanos and he absolutely, violently, brutally, destroyed them. I was a kid, and I was in total shock like, "Wow, did that just happen?". I think I immediately re-read that at least 3 times.

I hope they do it justice in the movie. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanos' battle against the Marvel heroes in the Infinity Gauntlet. Just such a smack down, then Cap being the last man standing gives Thanos a punch and Cap just gets swatted away by Thanos like he was nothing.

The opening pages to X-Men #1 back in 91. Was pretty amazing seeing just about every X-men back together again at the mansion. Really wish they had brought back kitty and Kurt too.

For some reason both Sentry flying into space and ripping apart Carnage and then in Siege killing Ares just stands out in my mind.

Johnny Blaze going after Danny Ketch Ghost Rider. Once he got that hellfire shotgun, what battle. I remember that image f Ghost Rider slumped over the front of his bike with his hand blown off.

Edit: Beer40, beat me to it.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Thanos' battle against the Marvel heroes in the Infinity Gauntlet. Just such a smack down, then Cap being the last man standing gives Thanos a punch and Cap just gets swatted away by Thanos like he was nothing.

The opening pages to X-Men #1 back in 91. Was pretty amazing seeing just about every X-men back together again at the mansion. Really wish they had brought back kitty and Kurt too.

For reason both Sentry flying into space and ripping apart Carnage and then in Siege killing Ares just stands out in my mind.

Johnny Blaze going after Danny Ketch Ghost Rider. Once he got that hellfire shotgun, what battle. I remember that image f Ghost Rider slumped over the front of his bike with his hand blown off.

Edit: Beer40, beat me to it.
    I'm surprised no one beat us both to it. Such a crazy moment. And X-Men #1 was awesome too. Ah, the good ol days lol
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yeah, at best we may get something similar to vision ' s death in IG, but no way we see something like Iron Man's head being ripped off or spiderman beaten to death with a rock.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

From the movies, my favorite moment was probably when Ant-Man and Yellow Jacket accidentally trigger Siri into playing the Cure while they fight in the briefcase.

In MPQ, my favorite moment is when Howard the Duck makes fun of Bullseye for changing costumes between Sub 1 & Sub 2 of his PVE.

In the comics, I have no idea...

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are many, but I think I have to go with this one for the comics:

From the movies, I think Flying Sam and Bucky in the VW Bug.

From MPQ, Cage and Spidey's exchange in Strange Sights:
    "Who's this guy?"
    "Says his name is Strange."
    "Yeah, I bet it is."
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Doesn't get much better than this.

Daredevil beating Kingpin within an inch of his life, unmasking himself, and declaring himself to be the new Kingpin of Hell's Kitchen. Matt's attempt to break the cycle he and Fisk go in is one of those "**** YEAH!" moments.

Jaime Madrox holding his new born in X-Factor. I don't want to spoil this one, but it's fairly rough to make a genuinely shocking moment in comics and Peter David hit this one of the park.

And here's some funny Spidey moments.

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Movies:
    -Tony Stank
    -Antman: "I was at a wine tasting with my cousin Ernesto, which was mainly reds....."
    -Thor tasting coffee for the first time & "mewmew" & kids throwing things in the dimensional portal
    -spidey sassin on Empire in the middle of the brawl
    Shows:
    -When phil loses his hand just like that
    -frank castle on trial, rejecting PTSD defense, the jail fight
    -Wu-Tang clan: the defenders fight, luke cage storimng the tenement with a door, Method in the bodega
    -Mr. Hyde lovin on puppies after getting the Tahitian treatment
    -Bobby Morse
    Books:
    -OML....natch & Logan as a boy killing the hunters that killed the wolverines & logan infiltrating the Helicarrier to sniff Cap's body to make sure its him & hitting on mary jane right after Peter is killed, and the what if where he fights conan and get a crush on red sonja
    -Johny blaze going super nova because of peter & flash not knowing he was spidey:Ultimates (see also: storm)
    -The beatdowns: Spidey thrashing QS after house of M, Cap being taunted to almost kill Frank Castle in CW, also when Thor gets back: the hurt he puts on Stark, thanos vs everyone until God-emperor Doom is like nope.
    -The lovin: Vision pretending to love the widow of the man he "impersonated" as an act of kindness, my love for Mary Jane in her flimseys, Clint and j.drew flirting, Poor Skurge enthralled to enchantress, Volcana and molecule man,(but mos def NOT Emma and scott! as if)
    -the russian mobsters in Hawkeye bro, and the animal holiday adventure
    -the moon knight redux
    -Skrulls that think they are the heroes until they are killed
    -the spiderman twinkie ads/electric company tie-ins
    -bullpen bulletins: wrap around text, no-prize: EXCELSIOR!

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

"Who's this guy?"
    "Yeah, I bet it is."
    This is great - who is the kid Doom is fighting?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's a little older and not MCU-related (although there are many there), but I love the opening scene of X2. Nightcrawler is one of my favorite characters, and in just a few brief scenes, they very capably show just a glimpse of how incredibly formidable he can be. 

Also, the Quicksilver scenes in DoFP and Apocalypse, mostly because I wasn't expecting how awesome they would be. Well, DoFP at least.

All of the Cap scenes in Homecoming. Chris Evans has such great comedic timing, but Steve has almost always been the straight man so far in the MCU. You can tell Evans probably had a blast filming these scenes. The humor is subtle, but hilarious. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:

"Who's this guy?"
    "Yeah, I bet it is."
    This is great - who is the kid Doom is fighting?
    That's Squirrel Girl. Who else has managed to find common ground with Galactus?
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options

MCU: "That's my secret Cap ... I'm always angry" - this line still gives me goosebumps from the first Avengers movie.

Comics: Spidey unmasking in CW, Cable taking on Stryfe in Executioner's Song (think that's what the arc was called? It's been a while!)