Power Ideas?

JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
So, if the Speculations/Concepts forum is for character suggestions/wishlists and power set ideas, consider this a "proto-idea". A brainstorming session before getting all the way to a power set (and trying to pair that concept to a character).

What are some ideas for individual powers you'd like to see, spins or iterations on things already in the game, or something wholly new?

Two things got me thinking about this, that will serve as my examples. The first are indirect powers. Peggy stunning the two non-front characters, and Riri being able to hit/damage characters in the same fashion. These are both uncommon mechanics, and I'd like to see more of them. The follow-up to that might be more powers (like Colossus or Thanos) that force a character to the front, or powers like Invisibility that force characters off the front, so strategic choices of positioning could be more meaningful.

The other idea goes more directly into the recent meta. Carol and Coulson both heavily interact with countdown tiles, both capable of producing them and speeding them up, and both benefiting from them going off. So what about passive powers that react when enemy countdowns go off? It would encourage a new way to play (letting enemy countdowns go off), and provide a new challenge to powerful characters (maybe someone thinks twice about using Carol's yellow to set off her black if that'll also trigger an enemy passive or two, you know?)

I could go on about other things I'd like to see more of (powers with drawbacks, like stunning or sending your own team airborne, more airborne powers in general, web tile powers that aren't red/purple/yellow to provide more combos with them, but then web tile powers get more into direct character suggestions, and that's less the point of this post; though I guess you could suggest like an entirely new type of tile like a web tile for other groups of characters? food for thought)

So what do people think? Any ideas? Comments on my ideas? I'd kinda like to see what people think of in regards to expanding the game mechanically, maybe we can get as far as suggesting full power sets with characters out of the discussion.

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always thought it would be cool to have some sort of mind control or illusion mechanic that would turn an enemy character friendly for a turn or two.

The temporarily friendly character would still be controlled by the AI, but any damage they do would be inflicted on their own team. Is the Muscle Threaten or Tommy Gun CD about to resolve? Fire the power so he hurts his own team. Did Rulk just get 9 green AP? Let him clap his own team. 

This could be a very strategic power on offense. The AI probably wouldn't use it very well on defense though. You would just need to avoid making matches with the affected character or using their powers. Still, it would be very effective offensively, so would probably be fairly expensive (maybe 12 AP at least) or the duration would be very short (one turn at covers 1-3, two turns at 4, three at 5.)

I suppose there would need to be some other added mechanic that would allow the power to scale between covers 1 and 3, otherwise it's essentially the same for those three levels and not very exciting otherwise, but I haven't thought it out that far yet. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm surprised they don't have one that drains friendly health to heal yourself. It'd probably be a villain character that you can roster who takes health from his teammates. Plenty of characters already do team dmg. This one would just heal, too.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we need a power to counter airborne characters. Something that targets airborne characters, drops them to the ground, stunning them, and dealing damage. Maybe a rework to War Machine, broadening his niche use beyond countering invisible characters, or just one of a new character powers.
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    I think a power that could steal enemy cd tiles would be pretty cool. Maybe at 3 or less covers it would remove some and at 4 or 5 covers it could steal and fortify. Steal starlord's cd now your powers cost 2 less ap? Or steal carol's black cd? Yes please. It would be incredibly useful. I'd also like to see a time travel power (ahem, cable, also everyone is going to hate this and it may have been proposed before) a one time use (or heavily stipulated) power that patch heals all characters in the match to full health and resets all ap to zero. Also an illusion based power with a cd tile where any enemy match gives them 2 random ap instead of 3 in the color they matched. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    charmbots said:
    I think a power that could steal enemy cd tiles would be pretty cool. Maybe at 3 or less covers it would remove some and at 4 or 5 covers it could steal and fortify. Steal starlord's cd now your powers cost 2 less ap? Or steal carol's black cd? Yes please. It would be incredibly useful. I'd also like to see a time travel power (ahem, cable, also everyone is going to hate this and it may have been proposed before) a one time use (or heavily stipulated) power that patch heals all characters in the match to full health and resets all ap to zero. Also an illusion based power with a cd tile where any enemy match gives them 2 random ap instead of 3 in the color they matched. 
     couple of those sound like good powers for a 5* loki.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    I would like to see some more powers that counter Medusa's healing. Kate Bishops Blue is decent but it's way too expensive. 

• charmbots
    jredd said:
    charmbots said:
     couple of those sound like good powers for a 5* loki.
    Yeah! He'd be a good fit for them.
  • charmbots
    charmbots said:
    I think a power that could steal enemy cd tiles would be pretty cool. 
    See Moonstone 1.0. In game from it's first weeks of release.

Nerfed away in early 2015. Seems the devs' logics couldn't handle the effects of new types of CDs that were then being introduced being stolen. And the range of CD effects has only multiplied many times over since.

Hell, they've never bothered to make abilities that affect CD duration differentiate between CDs that are friendly in effect vs those that are threatening.

So, don't hold your breath.
    It seemed like it might be a little overly complicated to be put into practice while I was writing the comment but it's interesting in theory at least. And I didn't know Moonstone ever did that, was she good back then?
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    DarthDeVo said:
    I always thought it would be cool to have some sort of mind control or illusion mechanic that would turn an enemy character friendly for a turn or two.

The temporarily friendly character would still be controlled by the AI, but any damage they do would be inflicted on their own team. Is the Muscle Threaten or Tommy Gun CD about to resolve? Fire the power so he hurts his own team. Did Rulk just get 9 green AP? Let him clap his own team. 

This could be a very strategic power on offense. The AI probably wouldn't use it very well on defense though. You would just need to avoid making matches with the affected character or using their powers. Still, it would be very effective offensively, so would probably be fairly expensive (maybe 12 AP at least) or the duration would be very short (one turn at covers 1-3, two turns at 4, three at 5.)

I suppose there would need to be some other added mechanic that would allow the power to scale between covers 1 and 3, otherwise it's essentially the same for those three levels and not very exciting otherwise, but I haven't thought it out that far yet. 
    I always thought something like this would have been good for Purple Man/Killgrave.  You would fire the power and it would put a trap tile down that stays on the board until the enemy fires an attack power that instead of hurting you, it fires it against their own team.  Probably something relatively similar to Elektra's Shadow Step in terms of mechanics.  
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:

I always thought something like this would have been good for Purple Man/Killgrave.  You would fire the power and it would put a trap tile down that stays on the board until the enemy fires an attack power that instead of hurting you, it fires it against their own team.  Probably something relatively similar to Elektra's Shadow Step in terms of mechanics.  
    Well, I originally thought it would be a good power for Mysterio. He's rather infamous for causing a certain mutant to slaughter his compatriots because Mysterio caused him to see them as villains rather than his friends. 

And we have a whole story event where Wolverine has been brainwashed to fight against the heroes. I'm sure in all of Marvel's history there has been a telepath that had used their powers to control others and force them to attack their allies. 
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    Milk Jugz said:
    I think we need a power to counter airborne characters. Something that targets airborne characters, drops them to the ground, stunning them, and dealing damage. Maybe a rework to War Machine, broadening his niche use beyond countering invisible characters, or just one of a new character powers.
    I have thought any of the HE would be great for this. They use a bow and arrow for goodness sake lol. Or even Vision using his mind stone. Think the airport scene in Civil War or the Ultron scene with Thor and IM.

Something else I really want to see the devs explore more is team powers. They have a few IF/Luke Cage, Mr F. But on every character they have an affiliations tag for every character. Why not use those affiliations. Inhumans, mutants, guardians, team captain, team iron man, fantastic four, villains, agents of shield, x-force, defenders, etc... And you get special bonuses for using teams made up of just those characters. Maybe you get extra bonuses for having the leaders of the group's on the team. Make it worth using characters that don't get played very often.

Let us use different levels of the same characters just for fun. Maybe only in the SIM, how awesome to have 3 Hulks, 3 Thors, 3 Caps, 3 IM,

One last thing I would love to see developed would be live PvP. Add another tab where you could play someone in real time not just their team controlled by the AI. And be able to take to them while playing. You would be matched according to your shield rank. Each match would be worth a certain amount of ISO say 250 and 5 xp. The strategy would be so much more fun than just playing the AI.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I have some ideas below:
    • A attack that put countdown tiles that prevent the use of passive of a selected character/enemy
    • Skill that allow you swap all your AP pool with enemy or swap 2 of your AP pool
    • Skill that let you redistribute the total amount of AP in your all your AP pool equally among themselves
    • Skill that let you choose one of your enemy attack and use it at a certain cost
    • With countdown tile that stop enemy from gaining AP for a few turn
    • Skill that deal damage equal to the total amount of AP in your/enemy AP pool
    • Skill that deal damage equal to % of health you lost
    • Skill that for a number of turn allow the drop rate of certain colour tiles to drop
    • A healing tile, something equivalent to Attack, Protect, Strike tile but burst heal your front character for a small amount of HP as long as the tile is on board

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I kind of want to see some sort of board control powers that let you flip the board vertically, or rotate it, or shift it one column to the side or one row up or down (with the row or column that gets pushed off the screen coming back to fill the now empty row/column). It would be pretty niche, but on someone with two good generalist powers, it could be a worthwhile third. There are lots of times when something like this would be handy for setting up cascades or getting an obnoxious special tile out of a bottom corner or something.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Yondu's ability that attacks the enemy with the least amount of health. I would like to see something similar as a healing ability for your teammates. It'd also be cool to steal abilities from the enemy and disable them in the process. So let's say that this power costs 12 AP and you're fighting a team with Deadpool. You steal Whales and it depletes all of the enemy team's purple AP (up to the cost of the ability). That would be a great new strategy to the game. Imagine fighting a team with multiple red users and you steal Riri's red but mainly do so to disable Bl4de's bloodlust. Or you steal her blue so you can generate more reds for yourself.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    I'm surprised they don't have one that drains friendly health to heal yourself. It'd probably be a villain character that you can roster who takes health from his teammates. Plenty of characters already do team dmg. This one would just heal, too.
    This power already kinda exists as a goon power.  The Hand's Konran's Black Arts, if I remember correctly. Although I think it's not actually a "health drain" but he just heals himself while damaging a teammate. But yeah something similar would be cool as a playable character's power.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    A five star power that is expensive, but will REFLECT back damage for 1-2 tuns as a CD tile depending on covers. Counter Thanos green and Black Panther by turning the passive damage back at them.

I also like powers where player gets to decide placement - Bullseye green, 4Cyke Red and Blue, all of the tile switch powers.  Not fast for PVP, but it does make the game more like a puzzle to optimize the move.

• Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Kevmcg said:
    A five star power that is expensive, but will REFLECT back damage for 1-2 tuns as a CD tile depending on covers. Counter Thanos green and Black Panther by turning the passive damage back at them.

I also like powers where player gets to decide placement - Bullseye green, 4Cyke Red and Blue, all of the tile switch powers.  Not fast for PVP, but it does make the game more like a puzzle to optimize the move.

Also Coulson purple that you get to charge and swap. Also, KK and GSBW getting to place tiles with their purple. Like you stated it gives the game that puzzle feel.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I'd like to see a power that reverses healing powers. Like Kate's blue, but also does damage with each attempt to heal.

I'd love to bring a character like that against Medusa.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    How about a character that's immune to passive damage?  I don't know how possible that is, but it would be a nice counter to Carol and Thanos.

For a boss event I'd like to see a character that kicks out a 10k+ protect tile if one doesn't exist.  Like 3* Cage but much more powerful.  You'd have to take it out with a match-5, use powers that ignore protects, or use a huge nuke.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I'd like to see a power that causes flashing lights on screen, plays a Disco tune, and then the power fires off after the lights and music quit. The end would look similar to Nova's point and shoot. It would also have a passive that negates damage/steals AP for self fueling when the character is out front and a power like Black Bolts is fired off.