HoR Red Node?

Options
NiftyC
NiftyC Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
edited September 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi all - I'm wondering what people are using for a consistent strategy on HoR red node secondaries. I was close to perfect last event aside from those, where I got 11/24 possible points. I've been using the below with nahiri, and run into problems with direct damage getting around the defenses, or killing the enemy before it summons everything. Trying to let the enemy last long enough to summon three creatures to kill while also not taking 16+ damage in enraged - I haven't found the balance. Thanks!

Kari Zev
Cast Out
Unlicensed Disintegration
Demolish
Metalwork Colossus
Combat Celebrant
Giant Spectacle
Harsh Mentor
Dagger of the Worthy
Cartouche of Solidarity

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I play Saheeli.  For creatures I've got Boomship, that 4/3 flying defender whale, and Harbinger.  
    The other card are all removal, including Frog (so you can kill more than one creature for each one the A I plays.

Boomship is nice but other big vehicles will work. Harbinger can be another defender. Permanent removal is best, but remember that bounce kills tokens, so Unsummon is good too.

if you run into true creatureless with no steal spells, you will lose the kill 3 objective no matter what.
  • NiftyC
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I lack boomship and harbinger, but I do have frog and enough removal / bounce, so maybe I'll try the saheeli route next time. I've been playing saheeli in TG for a week now and really enjoying it. 
  • Gilesclone
    Options
    Boomship is fun since it often ends the game right there.  But almost any big vehicle will work fine.  I was using another defender, Honored Crop Captain before and it worked well. The Freejam Regent might work, tho it's a bit expensive. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have Ajani 1, he's pretty suited for it as his ability 1 is multipurpose and can stall your monster defender to prevent from premature winning as well.

Gideon intervention helps against direct damage and inflict haste.

Use desert hold to prevent haste surprises or stall the game.

• Gilesclone
    Options
    I like Ajani for this.  Unfortunately, mine is still something like level 15.  I love both 1 and 2 on him.
  • NiftyC
    Options
    Thanks again! I also lack ajani, although I have the color combo with nahiri, and @Ohboy's commentvreminded me that there's a "disable one of your creatures and gain 6 mana" card I could use to similar effect.

Always felt like ajani wasn't useful since I had nahiri ... may need to think again, though he still feels pretty "niche" and other pws call to me more. 

I really appreciate the suggestions.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ajani is more control while Nahiri is more aggro.

That red node leans more towards control than aggro, so Nahiri is less suitable. 

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the problem with your deck is that it has specific cards that don't necessarily advance the objectives. Dagger of the Worthy is great, but it doesn't help you stall (to kill 3) or defend (to prevent 10).  Same with Spectacle.  If the objective was "kill your opponent as fast as you can", then you'd be perfectly justified in using it. Since the objectives force you to wait, however, I recommend thinking more defensively.

I run a patient Nahiri build centered around red and white removal, with 3 large creatures that eventually win (usually courtesy of her ultimate). I prefer her burst mana to Ajani, although I'm a big Ajani fan. Disintegration, Firecraft, Desert's Hold, Authority of the Consuls, Gideon's Intervention, Deem Worthy... red/white has a lot of options.

• NiftyC
    Options
    Awesome. Good point that the deck is too aggressive, I've definitely had the "won too fast" situation. Thanks, @madwren!
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I use Saheeli with lots of kill spells, and a couple of defenders. I finally did pretty well last week
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I use sarkhan, as killing 3 creatures is worth more
    than don't take 15+ damage.

HH
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hawkyh1 said:

HH
    Sarkhan with lots of red creature steal, then feed them to a Dragon, always worked well for both for me (when I could work everything together.
  • NiftyC
    Options
    Sounds fun. I may have to get sarkhan!
  • TheDragonHermit
    Options
    NiftyC said:
    Sounds fun. I may have to get sarkhan!
    Do it, he can be a lot of fun if you can set up a temporary steal with a 5 match and ability 2.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Aj1 is the best for this one. His built in control makes meeting objectives really easy. 

Here is my deck. 

https://imgur.com/a/Q4AYB
  • watman
    watman Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    Koth with Boomship, that new 'deal 5 to all creatures' 17-mana critter, scrapheap scrounger, unlicensed disintegration - quick enough to pull the second objective 3/5 times...
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hawkyh1 said:

HH
    Sarkhan with lots of red creature steal, then feed them to a Dragon, always worked well for both for me (when I could work everything together.
    You should match 5 gem for that strategy @TheDragonHermit
  • TheDragonHermit
    Options
    fiirst said:
    hawkyh1 said:

HH
    You should match 5 gem for that strategy @TheDragonHermit
    That is what I meant by working everything together
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm running Samut on red. Dubious challenge, ambuscade, unlicensed disintegration are keys to the deck. Add a few creatures and off you go. 
  • NiftyC
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I want Samut!

I experimented a bit in training grounds with Nahiri and Saheeli, and ended up finding Saheeli more consistent (which may be an aspect of my card collection). I'm running the following this event (when I can get in):

Metalwork Colossus
    Aethersphere Harvester
    Unlicensed Disintegration
    Exquisite Firecraft
    Farm
    Turn to Frog
    Stratus Walk (to give the colossus flying, but I'll probably swap it for Demolish)
    Claustrophobia
    Honored Crop-Captain
    Long-Finned Skywhale

It feels like a solid improvement so far, and I thank everyone for taking the time to share ideas and suggestions. Good luck, all!