Bad Boss designs

2»

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I'm not complaining that it's hard, I'm 2/2 with no wipes on scl7 with Elektr4 and Medusa forming the core of my team.  There are 2 gripes I have with K right now:
    1. The only Delta here is that the amount of damage dealt is much less than it was before with absolutely no forewarning or explanation.
    2. His matches are drawn out about 2-3 times as long as a regular node.  In a time when burnout due to 5+ pve clears is a *very* real thing I and my alliance are trying to cope with, I absolutely do not want to be spending more time on this game...
    Here's the thing, though.  Burnout wouldn't be a problem if the game was less "grind your brains to paste with the same team over and over and over" and more "actually use strategy".  The fact that there's even a single fight in this event where the best strategy isn't automatically to use whatever character gives you the most passive damage makes this one of the best events in the game.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Yes he's harder to beat this time and it was quite frustrating but I think it's helped me as I stand a good chance of getting a top 10 finish despite not starting the event straight away on the first two days 

definitely agree that we should have been told about the change to the level of damage though 

It's probably just because my roster is better, but I not only found him easier to beat than usual but MUCH easier. Previously, I always lost at least a couple of matches to him. This time, the only one I lost was one where I just quit after losing a character because I didn't want to take the time to slog through beating him. The other three times, I was never even close to losing a character and played mindlessly. Again, it's probably just my stronger roster , but i didn't take nearly as much damage from him as I usually do.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2017
    Wonko33 said:
    Whom ever flagged you does not understand the term "abuse" or spam.
    there is a whole generation of people out there that think they are being abused or bullied when someone disagrees with them - sad 

Don't jump to conclusions. Maybe someone just flagged it as abuse because they took away the down vote button and there's no other way to indicate that you disagree with a post.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    astrp3 said:
    Wonko33 said:
    Whom ever flagged you does not understand the term "abuse" or spam.
    there is a whole generation of people out there that think they are being abused or bullied when someone disagrees with them - sad 

Don't jump to conclusions. Maybe someone just flagged it as abuse because they took away the down vote button and there's no other way to indicate that you disagree with a post.

How about you reply and say "I disagree with you".  Flagging the post to the mods is like calling 911 because the McDonald's drive-through forgot your fries.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think the boss, by himself, is the real problem.  I think it is the game surrounding it.  Lich King in Hearthstone was way more unfair, like you can be literally reduced to one HP with his first card.  But the penalty for losing is... nothing.  Try as many times as you like.  All you'll lose is your time.  Experiment and try crazy ideas to find something cool.  That is the whole point.  That's where the fun is.

The health pack layer of MPQ puts a true limit on any such experimentation and an end to the, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again," mentality.  Here, if at first you don't succeed, pony up some bucks or kick rocks.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think the boss, by himself, is the real problem.  I think it is the game surrounding it.  Lich King in Hearthstone was way more unfair, like you can be literally reduced to one HP with his first card.  But the penalty for losing is... nothing.  Try as many times as you like.  All you'll lose is your time.  Experiment and try crazy ideas to find something cool.  That is the whole point.  That's where the fun is.

The health pack layer of MPQ puts a true limit on any such experimentation and an end to the, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again," mentality.  Here, if at first you don't succeed, pony up some bucks or kick rocks.
    Health packs don't LIMIT experimentation, if anything, they force it upon you. You can only use the same characters and fail so many times before you are forced to use new characters to be able to continue. 100 characters, 10 health packs, it's clear you're meant to have more characters to allow more options so you can keep playing.

"Try again with the same characters" is the exact opposite of experimentation. If you run out of health packs and and grumble that you can't keep playing, instead of attempting to use the broad array of characters available, that's poor decision making, not poor game design.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    This 5* player beats his K-silliness off with 3*s and 4*s. So....there you go.

Yup, intentional phrasing.

Maybe some players need to accept they just aren't that great at this game. Or perhaps it's that their perspective has been warped by running latest shiny exclusively for too long. Get back to your beginnings ... way back to when you had to figure out how to win, rather than "play" repetitively on autopilot.

When was that? When 2* thorverine was still a thing? Or 1* storm in the desert? Rags, mags, and spidey were always a thing, too, once you could actually place in the LRs.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Seems to be the latest in a never ending series of bad design choices or amateur hour mistakes.  This latest release has ridiculous loading times for everything and the sound effects are broken again.
    THIS GAME HAS SOUND??!!?