B/G Nissa or B/B Tezz?

Options
Basically ive been trying to choose for a month between the 2. Now they're both here. My current green is Nissa base 60 with **** green cards, but my blue being strong I could balance with new Nissa and cycling. As for black I have base Liliana at 42...very good red and blue cards for tezz which will be a great upgrade from current. The abilities lean more towards Nissa cycle being quite new, and the fear of tezzs abilities to fall back in the future. I'll let you guys decide for me. If you feel like it of course. Thanks y'all for your attention

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If your green PWs are weaker get Nissa, if black is weaker get Tezz.  Otherwise get Tezz and start saving for Kiora 
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I vote tezz2.

so far his black/blue combo is unique. imo he's
    better suited to have use over the longer term.
    I prefer kiora to nissa3. having said that cycling
    can be useful if you are having trouble with the
    more difficult events/nodes.

HH
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Go with Nissa Steward of the elements. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally, I find Nissa and Kiora to be about equal but different, just depends on the deck you're building for them.

However, Tezzeret has a selection of skills that make him valuable long-term, he has solid mana gains, and we're not likely to see another black/blue planeswalker for quite a while. The last one to be printed before him was in 2013, and there aren't a large number of old cards in his color combination for the game to pull from if they wanted to meaning he'll probably be the only choice for that combination of colors barring an introduction of Nicol Bolas into the game.
  • Furordraco
    Furordraco Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    thank you @wereotter @Mainloop25@hawkyh1 and @Gilesclone
    will wait for a few more comments to make a final decision.
  • Mainloop25
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just saying... Liliana is a serviceable black pw that can get you far in the short term if you know how to build to her abilities. Nissa1 only gets good around level 54 or so, and Jace1 is miserable to play with when you have to. Don't get me wrong, Tezz2 is awesome, but either U/G pw will get you far in P2P events. Since Nissa3's abilities are so good even with common cards, she makes the most sense for people starting out. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have both and like both. 

I think you are a new player, if so, if you have new perspectives and faith of the devoted and/or haven drake, do not think more, take Tezz2, you will win some event objectives (do not cast more than x creatures, win in less than x turns, do not use mord than x spells....) that would be more difficult with Nissa.
  • Furordraco
    Options
    @rafalele actually I've been here from zendikar. Played a lot there and in SOI but I quit and missed whole kaladesh and amonkhet. Getting some new stuff slowly but steadily.  @Mainloop25 pls tell me how liliana base can do anything but lose :smiley:
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Err lilianna 1 is still pretty strong.

Not top tier, but definitely not unusable. 
  • Furordraco
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Personally, I find Nissa and Kiora to be about equal but different, just depends on the deck you're building for them.

However, Tezzeret has a selection of skills that make him valuable long-term, he has solid mana gains, and we're not likely to see another black/blue planeswalker for quite a while. The last one to be printed before him was in 2013, and there aren't a large number of old cards in his color combination for the game to pull from if they wanted to meaning he'll probably be the only choice for that combination of colors barring an introduction of Nicol Bolas into the game.

But tezz is better no? I mean I either keep nissa
  • Furordraco
    Options
    • I just don't see the synergy for tezz when kaladesh leaves the standard. Most of mtgpq is about making nice synergistic decks. Tezz has nice colours yes, but by taking away energizing and overloading it halves his synergies. I simply can't buy both cause I don't want to pay.....arghhhhhhhhhhh help meeeeee

• I get it that he stays stronger then mono pws with energize cause of his B/B...and I even get that only one of his abilities needing synergy isn't a game changing loss...but it's a loss right? Against the no loss whatsoever for nissa cycle
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    I can't really teach you how to play in the comments here, but the key to using Liliana is taking advantage of her 1st and 3rd abilities. At one point she was one of my favorite pw's because of graveyard recursion being so unique to her. Plus with some extra discard against your opponents + dark petition, and you can win a lot of matches. Slowly, I'll admit, but consistently.

Tezz2 could have zero abilities and I would still use him in certain circumstances just because of the B/U combo. 
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tezz doesn't need any cards from Kaladesh.  Mainly he's about supports.  His makes servos, his second makes 2 servos a turn. His third does damage every time one of those cheap supports gets destroyed. 

Just load him up with cheap supports and he hardly needs creatures. Very strong. 

If if you can't afford both right now, I'd get Tezz2 and save up for Kiora. Kiora is at least as good as Nissa3.  If you really can't do the green nodes now and your black is ok, get Nissa3 otherwise get Tezz2.
  • Furordraco
    Options
    @Mainloop25 @Gilesclone ok guys you win. Thanks for the help and advice :smile:
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2017
    Options
     @Mainloop25 pls tell me how liliana base can do anything but lose :smiley:
    Liliana 1 is slowly becoming my favorite mono planeswalker in standard because of her disruption+ recursion. I rarely cast my creatures from hand. Playing her with discard and creature kill spells really hurts your opponent. Since I only recur creatures, casting cost doesn't matter. Then again, she is really only as good as the cards you have.

As to the main question at hand, Tezz2 is the only pw with that color type. When I finally purchase him, I'll likely play him Zombie instead of to his strengths, but I'm weird like that.

Nissa3 is great for cycling, but I think Kiora is the better planeswalker for color mix. She gains mana, summons creatures with Reach, and brings the next creature from your deck to your hand with mana. Hard to argue with those abilities.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tezz. Save for Kiora. 
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gilesclone said: 
    Tezz doesn't need any cards from Kaladesh.  Mainly he's about supports.  His makes servos, his second makes 2 servos a turn. His third does damage every time one of those cheap supports gets destroyed. 

Just load him up with cheap supports and he hardly needs creatures. Very strong. 

If if you can't afford both right now, I'd get Tezz2 and save up for Kiora. Kiora is at least as good as Nissa3.  If you really can't do the green nodes now and your black is ok, get Nissa3 otherwise get Tezz2.
    I usually play Tezz without creature cards, loving him for Burst objectives, filling that role with various spells and supports that pile tokens up. I honestly forget that he has any use for overload and just keep spamming supports.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nissa 3. Mine's at level 19 and I can breeze through PvP opponents at level 60 and most PvE ones too. Kiora is UG too, but having 2 UG planeswalkers is pretty good, really... up until recently I'd generally have to play Kiora in green nodes because other green PWs were not nearly as powerful. UG is the best color combination in MTGPQ because a) mana acceleration, and b) blue.

There was a lot of talk before Amonkhet about how broken Tezz 2 was, and he is, in Legacy, but much less so in Standard. His mana gains are great and his color combination is unique, but his abilities are pretty weak, and he has a devil of a time killing supports (I think there's only Anguished Unmaking, isn't there?)
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shteev said:
    Nissa 3. Mine's at level 19 and I can breeze through PvP opponents at level 60 and most PvE ones too. Kiora is UG too, but having 2 UG planeswalkers is pretty good, really... up until recently I'd generally have to play Kiora in green nodes because other green PWs were not nearly as powerful. UG is the best color combination in MTGPQ because a) mana acceleration, and b) blue.

There was a lot of talk before Amonkhet about how broken Tezz 2 was, and he is, in Legacy, but much less so in Standard. His mana gains are great and his color combination is unique, but his abilities are pretty weak, and he has a devil of a time killing supports (I think there's only Anguished Unmaking, isn't there?)

Gotta agree, T2 is a lot better in Legacy than Standard. I also frequently find myself wishing his first ability did something to help erase a deficit.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For me, I personally vote UB Tezz. The mere fact that he's black opens up myriad of strong kill spells that make him far more dangerous than Nissa. And if you manage to fire his 2nd and 3rd ability in the same game, usually it's over.