Gone For Labor Day on 9/4/17

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

In celebration of Labor Day, we will be out of office next Monday on September 4th. In addition, I will personally be out of office starting tomorrow before working the HasCon convention, and then returning on the 11th.

As always, I'll do my best to stop by the forums every now and then to make sure everything is alright, and to answer any messages.

Cheers,
Brigby

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's always a bit amusing to have a day celebrating labour that no one does any work on :)
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    It's always a bit amusing to have a day celebrating labour that no one does any work on :)
    I live in the US and I've seen the irony in the name since I was a kid... 8 years oldish... IDK, but I'll take the day off!!!
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Don't worry, some group will try to get it changed because they find it offensive  :D
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:
    I live in the US and I've seen the irony in the name since I was a kid... 8 years oldish... IDK, but I'll take the day off!!!
    There is no irony. It's a national holiday that celebrates the battles common laborers fought to gain basic job rights and safety standards.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:
    There is no irony. It's a national holiday that celebrates the battles common laborers fought to gain basic job rights and safety standards.
    Not without help.  Many of those battles took place in court.  Here's some Shakespeare on how tyrants want to take away the rights of the common man:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.
    CADE
    Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable
    thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should
    be made parchment? that parchment, being scribbled
    o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings:
    but I say, 'tis the bee's wax; for I did but seal
    once to a thing, and I was never mine own man
    since. How now! who's there?

Enter some, bringing forward the Clerk of Chatham

SMITH
    The clerk of Chatham: he can write and read and
    cast accompt.
    CADE
    O monstrous!
    SMITH
    We took him setting of boys' copies.
    CADE
    Here's a villain!
    SMITH
    Has a book in his pocket with red letters in't.
    CADE
    Nay, then, he is a conjurer.
    Nay, he can make obligations, and write court-hand.
    CADE
    I am sorry for't: the man is a proper man, of mine
    honour; unless I find him guilty, he shall not die.
    Come hither, sirrah, I must examine thee: what is thy name?
    Clerk
    Emmanuel.
    They use to write it on the top of letters: 'twill
    go hard with you.
    CADE
    Let me alone. Dost thou use to write thy name? or
    hast thou a mark to thyself, like an honest
    plain-dealing man?
    CLERK
    Sir, I thank God, I have been so well brought up
    that I can write my name.
    ALL
    He hath confessed: away with him! he's a villain
    and a traitor.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The boards have apparently renamed the character "Tinykitty the butcher." :-)
  • Milk Jugz
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:
    I understand what the day celebrates. The name is "Labor Day" on a day in which no labor is done. That is the definition of irony. If they called it Laborers Day, it would be less ironic. But again, I'm not arguing the significance of the day. Just think the name is funny..... 
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    This has been a little boring week with no announcements or updates. I like how frequently this game changes or introduces something new.
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    AlluAllu said:
    This has been a little boring week with no announcements or updates. I like how frequently this game changes or introduces something new.
    It has been a boring week. I think it was a week off not just 1 day off. 
  • smkspy
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:
    I understand what the day celebrates. The name is "Labor Day" on a day in which no labor is done. That is the definition of irony. If they called it Laborers Day, it would be less ironic. But again, I'm not arguing the significance of the day. Just think the name is funny..... 
    Labor was chosen because Laborers back in the late 19th century referred to a specific (thought off) lower class of people. Using labor was just a way of making it all inclusive towards the entire working class of the nation.

And if you really want the irony of the day, it isn't in the name.

It is that the modern common laborers are the ones that have to work on labor day, while government and blue-collar businesses like this one are the people that get the luxury of a day off.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Man, we're probably getting Patch Notes on Monday, and the patch itself on Tuesday. I'm guessing the clue will be, "No! It's not Dazzler! It's never been Dazzler! It's never going to be Dazz- what's that Bob? It's Dazzler?... Um, 'Quiet please. It's dark.'"
  • Milk Jugz
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:
    Labor was chosen because Laborers back in the late 19th century referred to a specific (thought off) lower class of people. Using labor was just a way of making it all inclusive towards the entire working class of the nation.

It is that the modern common laborers are the ones that have to work on labor day, while government and blue-collar businesses like this one are the people that get the luxury of a day off.
    Well, I'm an automobile mechanic. I, and all my other "modern common laborer" friends (plumbers, electricians, other mechanics, couple carpenters, and a few roofers) all got the day off too. We would be considered blue-collar workers. Workers at a company like D3 would be considered white-collar workers. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    Man, we're probably getting Patch Notes on Monday, and the patch itself on Tuesday. I'm guessing the clue will be, "No! It's not Dazzler! It's never been Dazzler! It's never going to be Dazz- what's that Bob? It's Dazzler?... Um, 'Quiet please. It's dark.'"
    Actually, the typical release is Monday for patches.  The patch could be live before notes are posted.
  • smkspy
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:

Well, I'm an automobile mechanic. I, and all my other "modern common laborer" friends (plumbers, electricians, other mechanics, couple carpenters, and a few roofers) all got the day off too. We would be considered blue-collar workers. Workers at a company like D3 would be considered white-collar workers. 

Yeah, I meant white-collar...tailgating mistake lol. Glad you guys got the day off, plenty of others still have to work (both collars) still have to work though.

Point being, it's not a totally laborless holiday.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    smkspy said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    jamesh said:

Yeah, I meant white-collar...tailgating mistake lol. Glad you guys got the day off, plenty of others still have to work (both collars) still have to work though.

Point being, it's not a totally laborless holiday.
    Indeed, I used to work in the news industry (print and broadcast). News didn't take the day off on a holiday, and neither did we. Most places will give you an extra paid day off if you work the holiday though. I'm glad I'm out of that industry though. It's a nice change to be able to count on the day off.