Imminent Doom

Options
Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
Can anyone convince me it's worth buying? Seems very niche. I can see it wreaking havoc in a Saheeli Baral deck in standard, but he will rotate out as soon as Ixalan comes out which even if it's still months from now, still becomes obsolete from most play quickly. Looks like a fun card to build around, though. Thoughts? 

Comments

• Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think Chandra 1, Ajani 1 and Koth will also enjoy it, but I guess it all depends on your play style. Sarkhan could abuse this rather well, also. Basically, what I'm saying is that any red deck would love to have this as an addition. (Maybe not Samut, but I haven't tried her out yet since I don't have her.)
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If this was black I'd be very tempted. Red? Nope.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    That's why I suggested Sarkhan, though Ob would be a little too powerful with this card in black.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Yeah I gotta agree, almost any color besides red. BrainStorm decks aren't standard legal, or I'd want to splash it in to those decks.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Imminent Doom...

pretty much sums up state of this game... :(
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I picked it up because I decided the money was worth the time it'll save me when we fight Nicol Bolas. Ive been using a red/white Ajani deck with Approach of the Second Sun and burn spells, so getting that extra damage off means each match isn't gonna end up taking 25 minutes to complete.

But yes, your general Saheeli, spellslinger deck will do well with this card, and Baral will still be legal in many formats going forward, so I could see this doing well there in the future.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Why would Baral still be legal? He's in the Kaladesh block. 
  • Grenade110
    Grenade110 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It would be nice in RW white with Pyrogoggles and Sun... i think. 
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Yeah maybe goggles. I can see that having a purpose. 
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got it. Its hard to sustain. It starts out with 1 shield and im playing with its ramping. Its no powerhouse. 
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Im having the best results with chandra1
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Hmmm interesting. I am not a big fan of C1. Thanks for the feedback
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personally I would play Imminent Doom with Saheeli once I have it, reason being that it combos well with things like Talent of the Telepath (chain-cast Talent) and Strategic Planing (to ensure you get spells), don't forget Desert of the Mindful for the quick mana gain, then maybe some of the cheap draw spells like Hieroglyphic whateveritscalledagain.

Oh, and of course, why not add Aetherflux Reservoir if you can sneak it in for the fun of it?
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    I just wouldn't want to but something that loses much of its effectiveness in Pvp in a few months. Unless I pull swarm intelligence, a lot of my spell engines go away with KLD rotating out. 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2017
    Options

I faced a legacy build over the weekend that used Imminent Doom, Swarm Intelligence, Whir of Invention, Inferno Jet and Harness the Storm. Early in the match the AI kept dropping Imminent Doom and I was able to destroy the support a few times but once Swarm intelligence hit around round 5 he had managed to get Imminent Doom out again... I went from full health to game over in two rounds. Imminent Doom got big quickly and combined with the damage from Inferno Jet and Harness the Storm it was brutally effective. A note though, he did have a Baral