2-3 minute buffer on PVP matches

TheXMan
TheXMan Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
895.  Play one match for 30 points, lose 45.  I understand the time window cannot be long but you should be able to complete one quick match on a shield hop and not lose points.

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Typically, when you unshield, it takes a few minutes before someone can queue you.

Maybe someone already queued you previously and it was just bad timing, it happens.

In general you should not be hit trying to hop for 1 match, 2 matches is slightly risky, 3 matches is a big no-no.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I climbed to about 800 and shielded.

I unshielded after only like an hour (no!)

In the last 2 hours of the event (NO!)

Then lost my initial match (NO NO!)

I decided to risk it and do three matches in a row to try and hit 900 (NO NO NO!)

Somehow hit my mark without any counterattacks.

Even though I did it, it wasn't fun. I've had your luck before and it sucks even more. I say bring on wins-based progression!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    sinnerjfl said:
    Typically, when you unshield, it takes a few minutes before someone can queue you.

I don't think that's true.  I've also been hit during the first match of a hop.  The "not queueable" impression is just because you have a lead time of between when you break and when you're first spotted.  All things being equal you should finish your match before they finish theirs, but when you're a 4* getting hit by 5*, they finish faster.  If they're out looking, it's just luck of the draw that determines how long before one of them spots you and begins railing on you mercilessly.

I've taken to trying to finish my progression target just within 24 hr of event end and shield out.  I made the mistake of getting past 900 with 26 hr to go in a recent event and had to break shield  to refresh for the final.  With the easiest match I could find, I still got hit on that hop.  Which was really more of a trip, given the outcome.  I dropped a placement tier because of it.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheXMan said:
    895.  Play one match for 30 points, lose 45.  I understand the time window cannot be long but you should be able to complete one quick match on a shield hop and not lose points.
    I feel your pain, but it does specifically state that your shield is broken as soon as you enter the fight. Shield hopping is a legitimate strategy, not a guarantee.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Speed matters....that's why there are damage and AP boosts out there.  When I'm hopping it's all about pure speed for those five minutes.  Climbing I'll take my time.  Heck PVE I take my time compared to hopping.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Speed matters....that's why there are damage and AP boosts out there.  When I'm hopping it's all about pure speed for those five minutes.  Climbing I'll take my time.  Heck PVE I take my time compared to hopping.
    what five minutes, i was 790 points shielded, play one match (won in less than 3 minutes) just to find out i got attacked and lost more point than what i won. (later i tried things, anyway i ended up at 665 points).

since then I stopped trying to use shields and try to hit high points (for me), maybe i might try one shield at end of events maybe not.

well if you think about it, if they give like 5 minute window (you will be shielded to others, but you can attack others) after you break your shield, i think that will encourage more players to use shields, which means more players will spend HP, which means increase their revenue (or at least they will not lose anything).
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    Typically, when you unshield, it takes a few minutes before someone can queue you
    Sorry, but that is just flat out wrong. You can be Qd from the second you break shield.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plus, you can be queued from before shielding, and hit and lose points after unshielding, if they hit you at that point.  That is, I would guess, not-rare if you unshield near the end of the event.  The big x-factor is how many people are active when you unshield (obviously).  And do everything possible to complete matches quickly....

This is an often-requested change (a grace period after unshielding) that I highly doubt the devs will introduce.
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    @bluewolf

i don't think the normal queue last that long (not sure, but i think our queue list refresh by itself every now and then, except the retaliate stays fixed).
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lucifier said:
    @bluewolf

i don't think the normal queue last that long (not sure, but i think our queue list refresh by itself every now and then, except the retaliate stays fixed).
    Queues only refresh when there is a data push or when you switch devices.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Lucifier said:
    @bluewolf

You can last from the beginning to end of the event on a pin if you don't have a hit wipe that pin.

The cache is persistent while the game stays in memory on your device.

Retals are not cached server-side so are only persistent on a pin (I think - haven't tried to confirm that) or until cache dumped by restarting app.