Spend Iso as fast as they hit 10 covers?

Options
talleman
talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
Hi!

I have heard that a character is usefull as fast as they hit 10 covers. By that i mean that they can win you a LT in the Crash of Titans and will do fine in PvE/PvP

So my question is: Should i spend the Iso on characters as fast as they hit 10 covers or should i save the Iso for champing only?

Im a 3-4 transitioner with only one 4* champ (C4rol). I do however got several 4* characters with 10-12 covers. (Medusa, Coulson, Bl4de, Mordo, Riri, IW, XFwolverine, Elektra, R&G, HoboFist).

Thanx in advance! :)

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally I don't see a lot of benefit in putting ISO into them early unless they are top tier.  Do that with some of the best characters, but for the vast majority I wait till their crash comes around and try it at 70.  If that seems unwinnable then I bump them up to 100-125 and try again.  Rinse and repeat until I win or the fight seems winnable and keep trying.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is fairly cheap to bring them to 180 and they can still be pretty useful.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    From what I heard, the magic number of 10 covers is mostly for 5* who benefit from levels more than covers. At 10 covers, you can level them to ~400 which is the point where scaling start to spin out of control. For 4* and below, they gain their damage outputs from covers more than level (until they are champed). Many 4* powers are borderline useless at less than 5 covers (there are exception, of course.)

As for CotT, it is a matter of having the 'right cover(s)' more than having 'high enough level', imo.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    Personally I don't see a lot of benefit in putting ISO into them early unless they are top tier.  Do that with some of the best characters, but for the vast majority I wait till their crash comes around and try it at 70.  If that seems unwinnable then I bump them up to 100-125 and try again.  Rinse and repeat until I win or the fight seems winnable and keep trying.
    This is really good advice unless you're just swimming in ISO (which tends not to be the case once you reach 4-star land). Investing in a lower-tier 4-star when you're just starting that transition is a bad idea.

Most of the ones you mentioned being at 10-12 covers are pretty solid, so you're in good shape if you start leveling them up now because you'll get those 13th covers soon enough and they'll make good champs to begin your transition.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I will disagree with many of my esteemed colleagues on the forums.

When I was in your spot, I tried to take every 4* with 9+ covers to level 185. This was before vaulting, so the situation wasn't much different than it is now. I had a *very* long period between having every 3* champed and more than 1-2 4* champed, so I was able to do this and still have about 1.5M ISO when I started getting champs in earnest (I have about 30 now). Of course, once that point hit, 1.5M doesn't last very long (185->champ is about 290K ISO).

Would I have been better off if I had waited to put ISO into them? I'm not sure; my life was easier with the 4* essentials and boosts in some cases, and I didn't have to think much when one of my 185's was the Clash target. On the down-side, I've had to manage my pulls tightly a little sooner as I might have otherwise, but I've not had to sell any covers for a 13-cover toon I wanted to champ. 

Like many things, I think it depends upon what makes you happier. I was happier when a boosted 185 with the right covers could be paired with my 3* champs, although it might not have been optimal. 

Hope this helps

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aa25 said:
    From what I heard, the magic number of 10 covers is mostly for 5* who benefit from levels more than covers. At 10 covers, you can level them to ~400 which is the point where scaling start to spin out of control. For 4* and below, they gain their damage outputs from covers more than level (until they are champed). Many 4* powers are borderline useless at less than 5 covers (there are exception, of course.)

As for CotT, it is a matter of having the 'right cover(s)' more than having 'high enough level', imo.
    Yeah, this is mostly the case. Most crashes can be won with really low level 4*s (in the 131 range) as long as they have the right covers. 

For example, at level 131 your characters scalable damage will be ~75% of the max value at 270, but you'll have spent well under 1/3rd of the ISO it will take you to level them to 270. What you're really missing out on is the health, but a lot of crashes can be solved by winning without any major damage at all (or are lost if you take any damage at all).

For PVE, 4* characters aren't really more useful than boosted 3*s until they are champed and boosted themselves. It's true that you can level them up to around the same level as your 3* champs (we're talking180-200 range, presumably) and they'll do about as well as the 3*s, so you could do this for fully-covered 4*s you intend on champing soon anyways, especially if they fill a hole in color coverage or power effect that you have for a story event. But overall, if you still have 3*s to champion, I'd save that ISO for them.

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's worth leveling your 4's to the point that they'll be able to beat their Crash of the Titans.  It varies by character, but if you've got any one of them up to lv 140-180 the Crash is practically guaranteed within a couple tries.

For any other purpose, it's better to hold off leveling further until you're ready to start champing them as your primary game activity.  They don't add significantly more punch than a champed 3*.  You can find interesting synergies, to be sure, but since accumulation is essentially random pre-champ it's hard to direct a strategy for your whole roster.  Better to bring all the lower tiers up to productivity to ensure you're raking in every champ reward you're able before dumping too much into 4*.
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Okey, thank you for the advice :)