Best team tournament

Wouldn't it be fun to determine the winner of the "best team" competition by having a Balance of Power tournament where the teams are pitted against each other?

Select a certain number of teams (16? 64?) from the entrants and then have D3 conduct an in-house simulation where the AI plays both sides of the match.  Could be either a bracket (dunno how seeding would work) or a round robin format, and maybe do best of 3 or 5 to appease the RNG gods.  Balance of Power rules would be important to make sure 5*s aren't fiat wins.

Bonus points if the matches were streamed or recorded so the community could follow the action.

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the AI can't play a match worth a damn, the results would be heavily skewed to passive teams that are idiotproof.
  • grunzadin
    grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker

Played out under that condition, the results would be of very limited use to players outside of Balance of Power. They would only have relevance to players facing enemies at equal levels. That's becoming a rarer occurrence in the game.

This sounds like a plan for an in-house character-balancing exercise, which would require millions of trials and permutations, rather than any form of entertainment.

I thought actual matches between teams would be a more interesting way to determine the winner of the competition than just eyeballing the entries and picking them based on who knows what.  I'm not proposing a system to balance the game.

Daiches said:
    Since the AI can't play a match worth a damn, the results would be heavily skewed to passive teams that are idiotproof.

The current meta is heavily skewed to passive teams that are idiot proof.  Obviously there are a lot of ways that someone could define "best team", but I think that being a viable defensive team is important.  The Coulsons and Cylcops of the world are great when you're using them and doormats when fighting against them.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunzadin said:

Daiches said:

The current meta is heavily skewed to passive teams that are idiot proof.  
    That's my point.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Kick this over to suggestions already :P
    ***As per forumite feedback, the only things that get moved now are bug threads and alliance forum threads, for better or worse.***
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Ducky said:
    ***As per forumite feedback, the only things that get moved now are bug threads and alliance forum threads, for better or worse.***
    And i trust crossposting is still frowned upon?

Ya know, sometimes--sommmmmmmetimes--the forumice are collectively dead wrong!
    ***Yes, cross-posting is still a no-no. If you see it, tag/report it so we can correct the action.***
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ducky said:
    It...it seems really tantrum-ish to go from "obsessively looking for a reason to move every thread" to "screw it, fine, we're just not gonna move anything except these two rarely-used categories."

With regard to the original topic, I have to agree that passive-heavy teams would be unreasonably dominant. I imagine it'd look like my current SHIELD Sim, which is just Gamora/Medusa/R&G ad infinitum. (Please note that I am also guilty of using this team as it absolutely rules balls)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Ducky said:
    ***Yes, cross-posting is still a no-no. If you see it, tag/report it so we can correct the action.***
    So if mods wont move it, and users cant crosspost it, how is a misposted thread supposed to get filed in the proper subforum, the only one the devs supposedly read?
    Well, you could cross-post it, and then request that they be merged together under the (newly) intended forum.

OR Repost the suggestion in the... suggestion forum, link to this one, and then say "I have refined my idea to [post content] based on the tiny/mediocre/huge discussion found here.

? Maybe? That's what I got.

As for the OP, I agree that AI vs AI matches are unlikely to be terribly interesting, although I do think there would be some value in doing them internally as a form (but not a replacement for other forms) of balance testing. For all we know, they already do this.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    The reason we don't immediately move these kind of threads is because some people like to post it in General Discussion to first garner feedback before presenting a finalized idea to the developers in Suggestions. The only reason we'd probably move it immediately is if OP was directly addressing the developers in their post, and offering the idea as a formal suggestion.

Regardless, if anyone creates a thread and decides they would like to move it elsewhere, then they can always ping an admin or mod to request that transfer.
  • grunzadin
    grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I've got no problem with the thread being moved to Suggestions.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Moved to Suggestions & Feedback @grunzadin