Are they doing something about cheaters?

chaos01
chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
Just wondering as I finished system reboot in 115th now I'm 104. Which I assume means that 11 people have been booted for cheating. Or that is incredible server lag...

Comments

• Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Closing threads talking about them, if that counts?
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'd say lag is a much more likely explanation - my placement frequently doesn't update until I open the leader board.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say lag is a much more likely explanation - my placement frequently doesn't update until I open the leader board.
    Yep. In PVP, I always ping the server by checking the leaderboard after I shield to make sure the shield registers with the server before any attacks register.
  • chaos01
    I just checked again and I'm 103 now. I should screen shot the parts I can see and see if anyone is disappearing. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    chaos01 said:
    Just wondering as I finished system reboot in 115th now I'm 104. Which I assume means that 11 people have been booted for cheating. Or that is incredible server lag...
    How could this possibly be cheating? What have they (hypothetically) gained?
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    After having ended the Prodigal Sun event my bracket went from 1000 people to 998 being ranked now, I even moved up to one place to 22 myself. I was also thinking this would have something to do with removing some players due to cheating, but who knows... I've been sandboxed once, quite a while ago, for having accumulated too much Iso (no longer an issue now I believe) so it's hard to tell.
  • chaos01
    edited August 2017
    How could this possibly be cheating? What have they (hypothetically) gained?
    Who knows. Might have had something to do with classics being set to 25% yesterday and people exploiting that. Or people using bots to run the nodes. 

Just seemed weird to me that all the sudden my placement keeps changing. 

Edit: I'm up another place and it was one of the top 20 (#5) in my category that is now missing from the placement screen. 
  • Lucifier
    Lucifier Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    @chaos01
    Who knows. Might have had something to do with classics being set to 25% yesterday and people exploiting that. 

that would not be player fault, that will be on the d3go (and player even if the took advantage of this should not be considered their fault).

P.S. i did not open even one single CP or LT token.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No. No they are not.  Some of that is just glitches in the system, but the current history of D3/Demi is cheaters are not punished they are supported. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    It's possible the ranking for the event changes if we repeat a node. My rank changed from 6th to 5th almost immediately after I completed the event (maybe because someone above me repeated a node). I repeated a node and my rank dropped to 553rd.

Yup. I repeated a node (Ghost Rider essential node) again and I'm now down to 652. Maybe this time I will try to get 1000th place in an event :lol:
    Inverted tanking.
    Demiurge logic in full swing.
  • chaos01
    OJSP said:
    It's possible the ranking for the event changes if we repeat a node. My rank changed from 6th to 5th almost immediately after I completed the event (maybe because someone above me repeated a node). I repeated a node and my rank dropped to 553rd.

Yup. I repeated a node (Ghost Rider essential node) again and I'm now down to 652. Maybe this time I will try to get 1000th place in an event :lol:

Well done finding the reason. Also explains why the people would disappear from the screen shots. 
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Yes cheating has become more blatant recently so I assume they are waiting for something (a big sweep or for player to start leaving) or they don't want to rock the boat because the cheaters are also paying for a lot of shielding.  
    A lot of online companies I've seen like to make big sweeps of everyone using a certain piece of cheat software at the same time before they install their blocks.  A massive banning tends to be more instructive to the masses than daily ones and two's which most will never hear about.  It makes people think twice when they see a link to a new cheat.

As to what they gain.  Many people don't understand the difference between enjoying playing games and winning games.  They think cheat codes etc. make games better because they "win" faster.  At least as far as I can tell...