I want to drop some 4*'s to make room, who gets the axe?

Options
Jesus Jones
Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
Take a look at my roster if you would and help me decide.  Sticking with the 4*s that don't have many covers, do I drop the new guys like Sandman and Mockingbird as they will be around for a while or is that the reason to keep them and drop some of the older peeps like either of the Venoms, ProfX and Jean Grey?

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well it's tough to drop characters but I understand, especially if you are F2P.  Based on your roster I would say drop the following as needed: 

1.) Sandman-he is awful.  Maybe he will get a rework and be good someday but since he is a newer character, not sure how long it will take for them to re-tool him.
    2.) Prof X 
    3.) Miles Morales
    4.) Venom
    5.) Agent Venom
    6.) Ant-Man

That should hopefully be deep enough.  While most of these (other than Sandman) have a legit use, the fact that you have so few covers means they are the first to go imo.  Iceman and Rulk are still very good characters, even though older, and I would certainly keep them.  Not sure on Mockingbird yet so maybe hold on to her.  

• macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hello.

1. Do you need to drop characters ? Who would you roster ?

2. Why do you keep so much 2* ?
    You need only three of them to play the Big Enchilada, and a free slot to roster the 2* for Behemoth Burrito and/or the one needed for history.

3. How much slots do you want to free ?

I would say to drop Sandman : he seems to be terrible, he isn't reworked this time, and if/when he is you can get a cover with the new event.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've just recently dropped some to grow my 2* farm, so I feel you.

I would drop:
    1) Sandman-yech!
    2) Miles - not very good, plus you only have a couple of covers sunk into him
    3) Venom-see Miles
    4) Agent Venom - I'm not a fan, but I have heard he is good when champed
    5) Ant-man
    6) Prof X
    7) Jean Grey
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Out of curiosity, who are you making room for? You seem to have all the 3*s that you reasonably need, so at this point, selling a 4* to make room for Spider-Man, or another 4*, seems a little pointless, to me.
  • Jesus Jones
    Options

Thanks @Warbringa and @heybub, I ended up dropping Sandman, Miles, Venon, Ant-Man and Jean Grey.  None of which I use and so few on covers to make a difference.  For me I want no 2* or 3* cover I get go to waste.  I will roster and champ all of them because the rewards from them far outweigh the cost of ownership IMO.

@macgawel, keeping only 3 2*s is a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake.  I can't stress that enough.  You will miss out more from this game by NOT having all of the 2*s and 3*s rostered then you will gain by having only a handful and loading up on 4*s that you can't use effectively.  The point of having all of the 2*s is for the daily rewards that you get from them, it's called "farming".  Use them, champ them, max them and then start the process over again.  The rewards you get from the 2*s will feed into your building up of 3*s and the 3*s will feed into your 4*s. 

You should have most every 2* in your roster and champed before you champ a 3*, and I feel the same way about the 3*s before champing a 4*.

• macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The point is, you only need 3 2* for the DDQ. And you need a (different) 2* every day, for the Behemoth.
    So, I keep my Enchilada team (Storm+Magneto+ x). And I've a slot for the daily 2*.

OK, I don't farm 2* and lose rewards. But I gain 9 slots.
    If used for 3*, that's some more DDQ Behemoth Burrito (give 1 taco), 1/5 of "Dat Required Character" (give 1 taco and 3* cover), and 1/5 of essentials 3* for PVE. And rewards once champed.

What's best ? (serious question, I'm too lazy to make the maths 
    ;) )
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    macgawel said:
    The point is, you only need 3 2* for the DDQ. And you need a (different) 2* every day, for the Behemoth.
    So, I keep my Enchilada team (Storm+Magneto+ x). And I've a slot for the daily 2*.

OK, I don't farm 2* and lose rewards. But I gain 9 slots.
    If used for 3*, that's some more DDQ Behemoth Burrito (give 1 taco), 1/5 of "Dat Required Character" (give 1 taco and 3* cover), and 1/5 of essentials 3* for PVE. And rewards once champed.

What's best ? (serious question, I'm too lazy to make the maths  ;) )
    If you have to choose, I think you should roster all the 3*s first, then go back and re-roster the 2*s you don't have. 3* champ rewards are better, especially long term, so best to start as soon as possible. I think it's worth selling some 2*s to roster 3*s when roster space is limited. 

Keeping a slot for a 2* behemoth burrito rotation seems reasonable, if you can manage the extra planning.

Definitely save all that CP you'll be accumulating until you actually have free roster slots for 4*s, though. I don't think its worth rostering a 4* over a 2* at this point. -Maybe- one or two, although even then I'd sell whoever you have at 144 to re-roster any other 2* to start farming again
  • Jesus Jones
    Options

2*s are the foundation, 3*s are the framework, 4*s and 5*s are all of the extra good stuff you want to have some real fun.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    2* farming is a great long-term investment as I have cycled through 2* champs so many times.  It depends on your goal and play style for this game.  For the long haul, 2* farming makes a lot of sense and I know some players are even doing 3* farming lol.  However, if you goal is simply to get to a stable of 4* as fast as possible, skipping farming helps since it is very roster slot and resource heavy to start the process, however it does pay off long-term with HP/CP/3* covers over someone who is not farming since 2* covers are so plentiful in this game :D  In terms of iso 2* farming is pretty similar to just selling 2* covers in reality.  I found the biggest benefit for my roster was the HP gain 50 here, a 100 there and it really begins to add up on a daily basis. 

I also look at my 2* farms as simply iso banks.  I could, if needed, sell several hundred thousand iso worth of champed 2* in a pinch.  I haven't had to do that for a while now since I have had an iso surplus and HP surplus, as my main goal over past year has been simply collecting 4* covers.  Now that I have been getting more and more 4* to 13 covers, that iso is starting to disappear faster than I hoped  :'(

Hopefully the OP won't have to drop more 4* covers anytime soon as it does hurt to do so but if it is only 1 or 2 covers it won't make or break their roster, especially since the covers they dropped weren't elite 4*.   
  • Jesus Jones
    Options
    My goal of rostering every 2* and 3* was achieved so I should be OK from having to sell any 2*s for a while, only to restock them with a fresh batch that is.  I don't think I will be farming 3*s, they take too long.  My highest 3* at the moment is Daredevil at 214 so I have a ways to go.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Don't even think about farming 3s until they are hitting 250+.  Somewhere around that 257 LT is when I start worrying about it for each.

I also agree with keeping the 2s and 3s if you play PVE/DDQ primarily - the 2s will cycle through far more frequently than anything else.  Additionally if you are playing SCL 7 or 8, you can get the 4* cover from progression, or just play SCL 6 and develop the 3* quicker.  

Will you regret selling - if you make it to 4* land, probably yes.  But the game is designed to make you need slots, which cost money.  If you aren't spending, you have to compromise, which you did in a reasonable way.  
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would never drop any 4* now.  I have done it before the current environment where getting hero points and command points are fairly easy.

If you have the willpower and discipline, you can just not open tokens that will you 4* and 5*'s so you can fo 2* farming or whatever purpose you have.

Once I figured out the game punishes players for getting 4* and 5* covers if the player isn't at that level, I basically only opened tokens and saved up hero points to roster all 2 and 3*s before going into 4 and 5* land.
  • Jesus Jones
    Options
    Now that I have all of the 2s and 3s rostered I can roster the 4s and not spend any tokens or CP on covers.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just hit 10,000 HP, which I attribute to having all 2s (and farmed) and 3s rostered and champed (except new Elektra) - I think you have made the right long-term move, JJ