5* Star Lord Purple Not stealing 8 AP

Currently, 5* star lord's purple is not stealing 8 AP at 5 covers when there are no enemy special tiles on the board to steal as advertised. Several times it recently has resulted in 0 AP being stolen and usually a lot less than 8 AP. Please look into this and fix ASAP.  5* star lord already has a lot of problems as it has only one power that does damage and it's not very effective at that, and his yellow is pricey and often times does very little other than just charging some green tiles which surfer does along with damage.  To not have SL's purple steal AP as if abound just makes him completely worthless which is very problematic for a 5* rarity toon. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    He only steals AP from one AP pool, so the only way he's guaranteed to steal 8 is if the enemy team has at least 8 AP in every color. I believe he can also steal Team-Up AP in this way. Basically his power picks a random enemy AP pool with at least 1 AP in it, and steals up to 8 of that AP. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    He only steals AP from one AP pool, so the only way he's guaranteed to steal 8 is if the enemy team has at least 8 AP in every color. I believe he can also steal Team-Up AP in this way. Basically his power picks a random enemy AP pool with at least 1 AP in it, and steals up to 8 of that AP. 

That's not what the description says, though.
    "If there are none, steal 8 random enemy AP instead."

But yes, these devs have problems with their words.
    It is known.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    ***Moving this over to the Bugs forum***
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Letting this power steal 8 random AP from any number of pools would at least start to fix the problems in 5* Star-Lord's design.  Comparing this power to 5* Daredevil's purple shows its weakness -- Star-Lord steals up to four tiles or up to 8 AP, usually fewer in either case.  Daredevil steals up to four tiles, converts them to what is arguably the most useful type, may benefit from these converted tiles with his healing ability and stuns the target, and it also has a passive bonus.  Oh, but it costs one AP more.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    I was just going to post this.  It says he steals "8 random enemy AP."  It sucks when the enemy has 1 AP in one color and he 10 AP in a color that a power uses and SL chooses to only steal the single AP.
  • Mr_Teddy
    Mr_Teddy Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Make him steal from all pools until 8 AP is reached. I got a fully covered 5* Star Lord.

I never use him.

• reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Mr_Teddy said:
    Make him steal from all pools until 8 AP is reached. I got a fully covered 5* Star Lord.

I never use him.

You should try.  He's very useful. His yellow is highly underrated for shaking up the board.  I've been running him with Hawkeye or Spider Man (blue-red suit), and they are quite effective at taking out Thanos/BP teams.  Not to say that his purple shouldn't be fixed.  It should be a more effective weapon.  His green also should be cheaper or do more damage, since that is his one damage-causing power.

• Dayv
    His purple should at least work as written: steal 8 completely random AP.  The only way it should ever steal less than 8 AP is if the enemy has less than 8 AP in total.

The easier, but far less satisfying fix is to change the description to how it works: "If there are [no enemy special tiles], steals up to 8 AP from a randomly chosen enemy AP pool."
  • Dayv
    edited September 2017
    Here's a neat idea on a way to both fix and improve this skill:

"Steals up to X enemy special tiles.  If there are less than X enemy special tiles, steals 2 AP from a random enemy AP pool for each tile not stolen."

So if you have it at five covers (where X = 4), and the enemy has only two special tiles, you steal those two tiles and 2 AP each from two randomly selected AP pools.

(You could leave 3* Star-Lord as is, though, with the text-only fix.  5* SL needs better differentiation from 3*.)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dayv said:
    Here's a neat idea on a way to both fix and improve this skill:

"Steals up to X enemy special tiles.  If there are less than X enemy special tiles, steals 2 AP from a random enemy AP pool for each tile not stolen."

So if you have it at five covers (where X = 4), and the enemy has only two special tiles, you steal those two tiles and 2 AP each from two randomly selected AP pools.

(You could leave 3* Star-Lord as is, though, with the text-only fix.  5* SL needs better differentiation from 3*.)
    I'd been thinking something along those lines as well. The either/or nature of the power as it stands really limits the number of situations where you're getting optimal use out of it.

I mean, yes, it's strictly better than Control Shift, which might be ok for the 3* version. But as a 5* power, "better than a not-great 2* power" shouldn't be a point in favor.

The lackluster comparison to Sonar Strike, which is itself a 5* power, isn't helping either.