Prodigal Sun has made me feel sorry for Sentry

Options
After only 3 days of this event and being forced to use one of the worst characters in any tier I implore the developers to either fix Sentry or make him a limited character. This character was hit so hard with the nerf stick he died some time ago.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Run him with Carol and watch things die.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Having him work well with one of the best characters in the game isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prodigal Sun has made me feel sorry for myself. Ugh, what a slog. I could really use some 4blade covers so I decided to shoot for placement. I play in slice 4 (10 pm for me) which is the only slice that allows me to play optimally. This whole event I've been hovering in the low teens for overall placement and last night I wondered what the tinykitty I am doing...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    granne said:
    Huh. I was expecting this to be about the way the Dark Avengers shamelessly manipulate him. Oh well...
    You assume a lot assuming people read the stories lol...  Especially when they base winning on speed...
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Or Agent Coulson and watch your ap grow every time World Rupture CDs resolve....
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Having him work well with one of the best characters in the game isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
    While this is true, not every character actively synergizes with Carol, so it is at least a plus. 

After only 3 days of this event and being forced to use one of the worst characters in any tier I implore the developers to either fix Sentry or make him a limited character. This character was hit so hard with the nerf stick he died some time ago.
    I don't think he's actually that much more useless than a Doc Ock, Psylocke, Colossus, Punisher, or Mystique of the same level. Again, not a ringing endorsement, but hardly a dumpster fire. The recent change where he doesn't do damage to himself with Supernova or World Rupture a benefit, and if you can bring another character with even modest Strike tiles, World Rupture is a game-ender. For example:

My Sentry is boosted to 287. Each World Rupture tile does 237 damage to the enemy team, and 82 damage to the rest of my team.

With a modest 200 worth of Strike tiles out (easily possible with Blade, 2* Wolverine, or Daken, even unboosted, and that's ignoring all the 4* possibilities), and with 8 World Rupture tiles resolving (only half) that adds up to (not counting any cascades that may or may not occur from all those tiles disappearing) (237+200)*8 = 3496 damage to the enemy team, and 656 to my allies. With larger strike tiles out, and with more expiring tiles, the damage gets really out of hand.

The real issue, I suppose, is the cost; 12 Green AP isn't particularly cheap considering he doesn't make his own. (combo with 3* Star-Lord? XD). Plus, the other Green team damage power in the 3* tier are typically better in their worst case (poor Ragnarok), and nearly all of them also generate their own Green AP (poor Ragnarok).

• Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sentry pvp was fun with my 4 Luke cage. Enemy sentry uses world rupture and my cage puts out a protect tile. Each countdown then does 1 damage to my team and 80+ damage to his team. I don't even bother trying to match the enemy countdown tiles.
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sentry pvp was fun with my 4 Luke cage. Enemy sentry uses world rupture and my cage puts out a protect tile. Each countdown then does 1 damage to my team and 80+ damage to his team. I don't even bother trying to match the enemy countdown tiles.
    Sure. And when he uses Sacrifice, Cage removes the strike tile, so he ends up spending 8 AP to deal ~2k damage to himself. :lol:
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Sure. And when he uses Sacrifice, Cage removes the strike tile, so he ends up spending 8 AP to deal ~2k damage to himself. :lol:
    Yes and yes. That was quite fun!!!
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Oh man, I had cage a 5/3/5 and didn't even think about making him just remove the tile! Still worked well though since he added a protect tile and reduced the value of Sentry's strike tile. 
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sentry, C4rol, and Dak3n are one of my favorite teams. Daken creates green tiles with his cheap blue and passively creates two strikes each time a green match is made. As soon as you have 12 green AP the fight is over every time before all the countdowns pop.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yes fighting against Sentry is fun because his powers stink. That's why I feel bad for him. Every power damages him or his allies. Few people will use a self damager.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now that I've got him at 230 or so, his strike tile is actually really strong when he's essential, so I didn't mind using him. I even used Supernova once or twice - it deals a pretty respectable amount of damage if you're in a tight spot and need to end somebody quick.

I haven't actually tried Sentry/Carol but I imagine it's every bit as bonkers as the other folks here have said.
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited August 2017
    Options
    yes fighting against Sentry is fun because his powers stink. That's why I feel bad for him. Every power damages him or his allies. Few people will use a self damager.
    You're lumping Juggernaut, Ares, and Hulkbuster into that category, btw. I know people don't use Ares because he self damages, but they, frankly, are wrong. Ares is a god among 2*s.

I like to think of it (and all other self-damage powers) this way: if I use this power, will I end the match fast enough that I avoid an equivalent amount of damage (or more) that I would take by not firing the power? Often (although not always) the answer is yes.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, and that's why both versions of Thanos are sooo rarely used.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanos does massive damage and people use him to crush nodes fast. Ares has an ale red and a non self damaging green nuke. Sentry all 3 powers does damage and its not like he does 4000 to the enemy and 500 to allies, iis much closer.  Lots of 3 stars have larger nukes without self damage.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sentry and Rags are probably 1/2 in some order on everyone's list of "**** 3-stars"  Maybe there's a holdout or two for Psylocke, but she doesn't have any self-or-team harming abilities.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanos does massive damage and people use him to crush nodes fast. Ares has an ale red and a non self damaging green nuke. Sentry all 3 powers does damage and its not like he does 4000 to the enemy and 500 to allies, iis much closer.  Lots of 3 stars have larger nukes without self damage.

Reality check:

Level 364 Sentry does:
    Red: 3321 to enemies, 553 per Red tile to enemies, 290 to your own team. Potentially 8298 to enemies, 2610 to own team.
    Green: 387 to enemies, 134 to your own team.
    Yellow: Strike tile of 1213 for 3657 self damage. Which means your World Rupture tiles will deal 1600 to the enemy and 134 to your own team.

Yep, totally not comparable to Thanos.