edited August 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Did you like The Defenders?
Best moments?
Weakest parts?
Favorite characters?

MCU/Netflix: Defenders *SPOILERS* 46 votes

It was okay...
34%
sinnerjflnotamutantJoritPongierdvargas1giotorres81mrcheddarFokaiHIAlfje17revskipmonsieurmojoLucasCage707Straycathunky_funkyfreeuser0991jamesh 16 votes
I liked it!
65%
GuntherBlobelThanosWonko33ContinuedClockPylgrimGrumpySmurf1002sirwookieechrisneodukedokiyBlindman13Arctic_OneDaichesLambadaDaveLukoilirwandobeyonderbubAvalanche KincaidDarqFeonixevade420Jaedenkaal 30 votes

Comments

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    bah hit return on accident... how do I edit the poll questions?
    how do I delete?
    @Brigby
    @Ducky

Anyway I wanted to add the choices
    3) It could have been better....
    4)It was Garbage!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    It could have been better. I don't think the team ever came together in a way that worked. Maybe that was the point as they're all rather broken characters, but after all this time some kind of Avengers-type moment would have been cool. The threat wasn't anything interesting or intimidating. Not to mention the threat has been rather inconsistent over the 4 shows. Weaver was absolutely wasted and not given a chance to really stretch herself. Biggest waste since Cage wasted Ali's Cottonmouth. The fight scenes weren't anything to write home about, but I think that's mostly due to how they're shot and lit because there should have been some fun stuff in there but none of it ever clicked well. And most importantly the characters are constantly making dumb choices or reasons that never make sense.

Now to be fair, overall I don't care for the majority of Marvel's Netflix shows. So if you've enjoyed the majority of the shows take my word with a grain of salt.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked it!
    Jessica and Luke are my favorite characters from the Netflix Marvel shows, but their individual shows are so dark and heavy that "enjoying" them, as such, is kind of hard. It was really nice to get to see them in situations where they could be a bit less intense and serious.

Also, I liked Elektra much more here. On Daredevil, she sort of felt like she didn't really fit in, and honestly, the whole second half of that season felt kind of awkward as it moved away from the Punisher arc. But on The Defenders, she really felt like she was a core part of the show, had been part of it from the start of its development, and just worked better.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    purplemur said:
    bah hit return on accident... how do I edit the poll questions?
    how do I delete?
    Brigby
    Ducky

Anyway I wanted to add the choices
    3) It could have been better....
    4)It was Garbage!
    @purplemur
    Unfortunately if you wish to edit the poll questions, I'm afraid you'll need to create a new one with all of the options available. Apologies for the inconvenience.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't necessarily hate it, but I did find it pointless and underwhelming. Criminal waste of Sigourney Weaver. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    I would say both that I liked it and that it could have been better. I watched all 8 episodes on Friday - I'm in the UK, so they dropped at 8am for me - and I was totally engrossed while watching, but see some flaws on reflection.

In terms of what could have been better, well, basically, the plot. The only bit of mystery was what was behind the wall, which I'll admit I didn't expect to be dragon bones.

I'm no real fan of Danny, although he's less grating when he's not carrying a whole show, but he was little more than a plot device.

I did enjoy the humour, and the interactions between the four of them. I loved all the sidekicks, except Karen, but I never like Karen (I largely blame Frank Miller for that). Elektra was amazing, and the final fight scene with her and Matt was perfect. I'm not wild about the Born Again storyline (see above comment about Frank Miller), so I'm not sure how I feel about that teaser ending.

On the whole, as a massive Daredevil fan, both comics and show, I felt more like this was another season of Daredevil that the others guest-starred in. None of the rest of them really got much character development, and only Jess seemed to be at all altered by the events of the story.

I liked it, and I'll watch it again, but I'm not sure I'll buy the dvd.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    I liked it!
    I thought the stuff they were collecting was a bit anti climatic, just old bones, would have liked something better. For example since Danny always tells people he is the "Immortal Iron Fist" I thought they wanted to harvest something in him instead of him being literally just a key.

I like that it was a different recipe, usually at the beginning of a series the bad guys look omnipotent, but this time the Hand looked like they had their backs to the wall  with the Defenders holding their own in all the fights, plus there was all the infighting, it made them desperate and unpredictable.

Not the best but I enjoyed it
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was okay...
    It was enjoyable but not outstanding. The whole premise of dragon bones keeping manhattan afloat and the hand aiming to harvest it, which in turn would destroy New York City, is a bit far fetched. 
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    I liked it!
    I liked it. Danny wasn't as annoying and I enjoy the other 3 characters. I know Jessica Jones doesn't "fly" but didn't she show some huge jumping ability in her show? I was kind of hoping to see her show off a little to the men. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    dokiy said:
    I liked it. Danny wasn't as annoying and I enjoy the other 3 characters. I know Jessica Jones doesn't "fly" but didn't she show some huge jumping ability in her show? I was kind of hoping to see her show off a little to the men. 
    Fair point, but she does save Luke and Danny in the elevator. That was pretty badass. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    granne said:
    I would say both that I liked it and that it could have been better. I watched all 8 episodes on Friday - I'm in the UK, so they dropped at 8am for me - and I was totally engrossed while watching, but see some flaws on reflection.

In terms of what could have been better, well, basically, the plot. The only bit of mystery was what was behind the wall, which I'll admit I didn't expect to be dragon bones.

I'm no real fan of Danny, although he's less grating when he's not carrying a whole show, but he was little more than a plot device.

I did enjoy the humour, and the interactions between the four of them. I loved all the sidekicks, except Karen, but I never like Karen (I largely blame Frank Miller for that). Elektra was amazing, and the final fight scene with her and Matt was perfect. I'm not wild about the Born Again storyline (see above comment about Frank Miller), so I'm not sure how I feel about that teaser ending.

On the whole, as a massive Daredevil fan, both comics and show, I felt more like this was another season of Daredevil that the others guest-starred in. None of the rest of them really got much character development, and only Jess seemed to be at all altered by the events of the story.

I liked it, and I'll watch it again, but I'm not sure I'll buy the dvd.
    Why don't you like Born Again? I thought it was amazing. 

Also, why do people feel they are going to do that storyline in Daredevil Season 3?  The scene with Matt and the nun happened at almost the very end of the Born Again arc after all the good stuff happened (Kingpin destroying him and making him insane).  The Matt/nun scene represented a turning point AFTER all the **** Fisk put him through so I can't see them going that route. 

Edit: Did some digging and I guess they may go that route afterall (obviously they can't do an exact recreation). Still, count me in as super excited if they do. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    There are elements of Born Again that I liked, but I'm not a fan of Miller's misogyny, and that makes it hard to enjoy his work without misgivings.

Kingpin's systematic destruction of Matt's life is compelling and would fit in the show, and I have more faith in the show's writers to maintain integrity of characterisation than I do in Miller. We'll see.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    It was okay...
    Pongie said:
    It was enjoyable but not outstanding. The whole premise of dragon bones keeping manhattan afloat and the hand aiming to harvest it, which in turn would destroy New York City, is a bit far fetched. 
    I agree. The throwaway line Stick says that the hand was behind Pompeii and Chernobyl was too much for me. I get that they had to ease us into the mystical stuff, but the Hand from DD season 1 is not the same as season 2 and Defenders. Gao and Nobu were pretty much just drug dealers. I get that the Hand was an ancient organization, but then all the founders are still alive? Didn't really like that. Why is Gao old and slow but with force powers and can take Jessica Jones and Luke Cage by herself, but Bakuto and the other guy are young and fast but can't take Daredevil 2 on 1? Also, why did that guy only speak Japanese when everyone just responded in English? Must have been weird for Sigourney Weaver to act when her scene partner is speaking a different language.
    Ultimately it felt more like a Daredevil season 3 than anything else. He is the only one really affected going in to his next season. And DD season 2 is the only thing I think you need to watch before watching Defenders to be caught up.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    I liked it!
    Straycat said:
    Why is Gao old and slow but with force powers and can take Jessica Jones and Luke Cage by herself, but Bakuto and the other guy are young and fast but can't take Daredevil 2 on 1? 
    Because she's a badass. Plus, Luke and Jess have no formal hand-to-hand (see what I did there?) training.
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    I liked it!
    Straycat said:
    Why is Gao old and slow but with force powers and can take Jessica Jones and Luke Cage by herself, but Bakuto and the other guy are young and fast but can't take Daredevil 2 on 1?
    They were not always immortal, maybe she was old when they discovered the way to make themselves live forever. Also Daredevil is a better fighter than either Jessica or Luke, and they couldn't get near Gao to use their only advantage of super strength. 

As far as force pushing goes, I think they said something earlier about the elders of Kun'Luun developing ways to use their chi, one of which was the Iron Fist. So that is just her way of doing it. Maybe the others use it in more subtle ways.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked it!
    KC_Hammer said:

As far as force pushing goes, I think they said something earlier about the elders of Kun'Luun developing ways to use their chi, one of which was the Iron Fist. So that is just her way of doing it. Maybe the others use it in more subtle ways.
    And from a production standpoint, it's really the only way to get that actress into a fight scene (as a fighter) without a lot of CG or stunt work. Presumably she already has a stunt double for every time she got kicked across the room.