4* DDQ: Punmax vs Carol Danvers

Options
BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
lv168 5/2/2 Punmax failed at the first attempt, despite using +2 G/B AP boost. Managed to get a Weapons Expertise and Army of One out, but couldn't get enough black for a second Army of One, and Carol's Photonic Barrage wore Frank down. Will try again later.

Strategy for underlevelled, undercovered: forget about Green. Go after Black, Yellow, Blue in that order. Try to get 16 or 24 Blue AP, along with at least 21 Black AP. Lay down as many strikes as possible with Weapons Expertise, then go all out with Army of One. The major annoyance of this match is easily that matching Black not only damages Punny, but also fuels Carol's Photonic Barrage. Watch out for that

EDIT: ok got her on my second attempt. Had a great opening cascade that got me 6 Black and 8 Blue. Eventually amassed 14 Black and 16 Blue. Carol got off an instant Photonic Barrage, but Pun survived and downed her with two Weapons followed by two Armies

LT got me 5tarlord's Purple, my first cover for him

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Got her on my second try with my 4/2/3 Level 188 Pun Max, no boosts, with about 4550 health left. I would have had her my first try if I could have survived one more turn. As it was, I got pretty lucky because C4rol fired Photonic Barrage twice; the first time she immediately matched away her own CD, so didn't get any strikes out nor was able to use Executive Decision. Second time, the move she made right after setting up the CD dropped a black tile into place that allowed me to match it right away. I decided to do that and eat the damage because it meant no strikes and she couldn't use Executive Decision.

I actually went a different route and avoided black altogether if I could help it. That was pretty hard, since that's my most covered ability, but I didn't feel like I could spare the damage, nor let C4rol have the free AP. So I concentrated on blue and green. In my winning match, I think I fired both at least twice. Token to the hoard. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First try with L271.  Pretty easy despite being handicapped to not build black.  Her black is pretty weak which makes this doable.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lv 200 4/3/5 Punmax made quick work of her. Mostly avoided black but did get off an Army of one. Got off 2 Weapons and 1 Merciless. Downed her with Pun still over 7000 health. 

LT gave me blue ant-man bringing him to 5/4/2
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    2/2/0 Punny doesn't look to have quite enough kick to make it through this one. I'll keep at it, but won't be throwing boosts out there.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First attempt with my 276 5/5/3 Pun. Was easy, didn't even avoid black because the damage was not bad, especially for a champed character. Hit a couple blue and then his black, end of the road for Carol. Still had well over 10k health.

To the hoard!!!
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I won 2nd try with a 131 2/3/1 w/ B/G damage boost,B/G AP boost and +2 all ap boost.

I had 26 health left at the end.

I got a red agent venom, (which allowed me to max him out) with a bonus hero of a Vulture (Black) making him a 2/4/3 (188)
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5/2/3 188.

First try I was scared of the damage taken from matching black and wasn't able to do much.

Second try I added boosts and went straight for black and blue. Her damage from Energy Manipulation wasn't that bad. One cast of Weapons expertise followed by a blast of Army of One and it wound up being an easy win.

Token to the hoard.
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    2/2/2 Level 127, waste of time....
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2/2/2 Level 127, waste of time....

I did it as a 131, just pray for a blue and green board. 
  • mirage2101
    mirage2101 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    made it at 140.. It took 12 tries and a lot of luck with some 5 matches when I finally got him. Burned through most of my usefull boosts too. But got cover 12 for medusa so worth it :)

As fir strategy,, Deny yellow, then green/blue. I tend to avoid black the damage is just too nasty to take very often. But I didn't let a 4, 5 or combo walk because it was black. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I got smoked the first two times with my 3/4/2 152 Punisher. I spent some ISO and brought him up to 188, and managed to get Carol on the next try - the board was loaded with green and blue and almost no black, so I actually was able to fire green twice and blue twice. Carol fired photonic barrage twice, but luckily matched her own countdown both times. When I finally managed to get enough black to cast Army of One I was down to about 3000 health, but she was lower than that, so it finished the match. 

My reward was a Sh.... Sandman green, which was depressing, but at least it was a usable cover.
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3/1/4 level 172 Punmax. just pumped out strike tiles, got my black and just started pumping out bullets

got a red Cyclops as a reward putting him at 4/4/2
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4 attempts with 168 Pun. 4 extremely bad boards, but 2:nd she was down to 234 health  :| 
  • qandols
    Options
    I'm in a flurry of bad boards at the moment. Drives you crazy I tells you  :s
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually got so frusterated with this with my 2/5/0 punisher i bought the heroes for hire won it with level 170 2/5/1
  • qandols
    Options
    Been trying ten times now. Every time boards with predominantly red and yellow. None of my colors Arrrgggh!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/2/1, lvl 99. Got it on the third try. Needed the AP boosts to get 14 Black without eating too many Photonic Barrage. Still a game of "win before Carol collects 5 Yellow"
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This was so darn difficult with my 5/2/2 Punisher lvl 150. Tried like 7 times and then finally bought HFH blue cover, got him to level 188, and beat Carol. Finally!