Highly suboptimal play by the AI

Maybe this belongs in the Bugs subforum, feel free to move.

Within the last 24 hours, I've seen 2 examples of pretty bad play by the AI that might be worth addressing.

First, Ob killed himself with his 1st ability when he was at low life.

Second, Lili 1 killed my 5/5 Greater Sandwurm with a Trial of Ambition rather than my 32/32 drake token. Both were summoning sick, if that is relevant.

I guess I don't mind the free wins, and I know the AI will never play perfectly, but these were particularly silly, and it might be worth dealing with this low hanging fruit at some point.

Comments

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    These are both well-known, long-standing problems with the AI:

1.) The AI will always use the highest available loyalty ability that has a valid target.

2.) The AI doesn't look at how many times a creature has been reinforced when deciding which creature to kill first.

Both are definitely stupid, but they've both been like that since the beginning of the game as well, so I don't have much hope of seeing them fixed.

One thing I would like to see fixed, and that they have partially fixed in the past, is that there are still some Kaladesh cards that the AI doesn't target with correctly (it will still target its own creatures with Skywhaler's Shot, for one that I noticed.)
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skywhaler's was funny to see consistently. I think it just think's skywhaler is a "good" spell so it targets itself. If true that is probably an easy fix.

Some of the more extreme and silly things the AI does could use fixing, but we can't afford to have the AI as good as can be, we'd start having a much harder time winning and it would be far less fun to play.

Like match 4s instead of match 5s which it does a lot of the time. People make that mistake too, they miss patterns and kick themselves when the other player gets the match they should've, if the AI starts _always_ getting those matches (Which it could be programmed to) then it would have an advantage against us.

• HypnoticSpecter
    HypnoticSpecter Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Gideon 1 just used his 3rd ability on my creature when he had one of his own.