How many winning teams can you make without repeating characters?

steakleather
steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
edited August 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I made this list of teams without repeating any characters. I think each of these could survive in the Simulator (on offense, at least). I only included one 5* (Hawkeye). Sorry for the formatting.

Edit: Assume recently champed characters facing champed characters. It's just a fun exercise.

• Coulson        Agent Venom     Scarlet Witch
  • Elektra          4Cage                4Fist
  • 4Gamora      4R&G                 Cloak+Dagger
  • Thoress        5HE                    Loki
  • IM40             Peggy                 Rulk
  • Drax             Antman               Sentry
  • 4Clops          MoonKnight       4Starlord
  • Nova             WarMachine       ProfX
  • Wasp            3Falcon              2Bullseye
  • XFW             Mockingbird         3Magneto
  • Miles            SpiderGwen        3Spiderman
  • Kingpin          3Fist                   Quake
  • Carnage        Medusa              MrFantastic
  • Riri                 XFDP                 Thing
  • InvisWom       Cho                    4Falcon
  • IMHB             Jean Grey           Hood
  • x23                 Vulture               Winter Soldier
  • Blade             Mordo                 3Clops

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are plenty of team combos that can win you a match in simulator but the problem is which ones realistically keep you from getting attacked often on defense?  I know you put in a disclaimer about offense only but that particular list could be nearly 100 posts long! 

• steakleather
    This is a list of teams with no repeating characters. For example, if Blade is on one team, he can't be on any other team.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this is some sort of a math game / riddle.  Please feel free to carry on.  And there is a finite solution if your math question is really how many unique teams can I create without repeating a char.

But You need to understand that an all 2* team looks pretty insurmountably to a 1* roster.  So ultimately any 3 char team is a viable simulator team compared to a weaker roster. and  that same team is a cc grill to a higher level opponent.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can make exactly 142 teams without repeating a character. At least until the next release, then it will be 143.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Dormammu said:
    I can make exactly 142 teams without repeating a character. At least until the next release, then it will be 143.
    If you figure one character teams, that's still only 138..... I'd love to see your math, unless I'm missing the joke here....
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    With 138 playable characters available in the game, you can make 46 unique 3-person teams.
    I think the OPs intent was to create functionally strong teams and see how far you could get without repeating and still be a viable team. Sure, you can run C4rol/Bl4de/Medusa, but what if you split them up and paired with lower tier teamates, can you still have a decent team?
    While that is far more effort than I want to exert, I did enjoy reading your list.
  • steakleather
    With 138 playable characters available in the game, you can make 46 unique 3-person teams.
    I think the OPs intent was to create functionally strong teams and see how far you could get without repeating and still be a viable team. Sure, you can run C4rol/Bl4de/Medusa, but what if you split them up and paired with lower tier teamates, can you still have a decent team?
    While that is far more effort than I want to exert, I did enjoy reading your list.
    This is exactly what I meant; thank you.

• Dormammu
    I did not become the Dread One by learning math. I have underlings who handle that for me (though obviously not very well...)

I guess my point is: give me a character and I'll build a team around 'em.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Warbringa said:
    There are plenty of team combos that can win you a match in simulator but the problem is which ones realistically keep you from getting attacked often on defense?  I know you put in a disclaimer about offense only but that particular list could be nearly 100 posts long! 

Bring it on! I want more teams to try out, and the "latest fun team combo" thread is usually just some re-hashing of whatever the current meta is at the time. Trying out new teams is what keeps me here, I hate relying on a core set of 12-15 folks for PVE/PVP
  • Dormammu
    @BoyWonder1914 - the latest fun team combo thread is okay, but you're right in that you see a lot of Medusa/Carnage/whoever posts there and it's not anything new. But over in the Tips & Guides section there's a great thread where the authors go into much more detail and you find more creative teams.

Explain your team!!

Check it out if you haven't already.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for the link! I found it hard to find some of the old guides I used to look at when we switched forum formats. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    There are 139 characters in the game currently.
    3 characters per team.
    I could make 46 teams without repeating a character.
    I won't, but I could...
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    1......Thanos / Black Panther/ whoever! Thats all u need! 
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    It'd be cool if there was a simulator-like event where nobody was buffed, and you had to put up multiple different teams on defense until all of them got taken down, and you got points for how long it took people to take down your whole roster.  And on offense, once you use one character in a fight you can't use it again until you've gone through your whole roster.  I'd be interested see how people would split things up in a scenario like that.