Mockingbird vs. Yondu.

If you were to focus on one of these new characters during the coming season (focus on: set as bonus hero etc.) which one would it be?
I think Mockingbird seems to have more use than Yondu.

Comments

• tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    I vote Yondu. Cheap powers and true-healing.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2017
    They're both really different characters.

Mockingbird is going to be great in PvP and wonderful against any tile movers. She's got a lot of utility and will round out a Carol/R&G team nearly perfectly. Her red deals top tier damage for the AP cost (and goes beautifully with Carol's yellow). Against goons, she's outclassed pretty much across the board by 4-star Star-Lord and they have the exact same color coverage. 

Yondu is a mixed bag. His blue is an elite damage power even without the passive element. His blue passive damage is going to be really close to Blade's red's passive damage which means it'll get massive when he's boosted. His black being a spammable strike tile maker and AP denier could be way better than it looks on paper but I really want to check it out. Yondu would round out a Carnage/Medusa team pretty well by filling in some color gaps and being annoying in his own way.

They're both going to deal tremendous damage with their main damage dealing powers when they're boosted. Both will be worth the iso but I think Mockingbird probably has a bit more utility along with a role few others can really fill. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I think Yondu will be more universally useful. Big blue nuke followed by free damage (as long as you keep him out of harm's way) paired with a cheap AP destroy/strike generator makes him at least moderately useful in nearly all situations. His healing is a bit unreliable but true healing is always nice for health pack savings as well.

Mockingbird seems much more geared towards PVP - AP destroyer/generator, increased match damage, and maybe free powers spells "annoying to deal with when left on defense" to me. Her red does stellar damage for the AP, but it's definitely not her "defining" ability. I don't actually think she'll be quite as good as she reads, since her powerset relies on sitting on your AP, and the AI rarely does that, but she's still one I'd think twice about tangling with boosted.

In short, if you're heavily PVP focused, I'd go for Mockingbird. Otherwise, Yondu is probably the better choice.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Personally I think Yondu will be more universally useful. Big blue nuke followed by free damage (as long as you keep him out of harm's way) paired with a cheap AP destroy/strike generator makes him at least moderately useful in nearly all situations. His healing is a bit unreliable but true healing is always nice for health pack savings as well.

Mockingbird seems much more geared towards PVP - AP destroyer/generator, increased match damage, and maybe free powers spells "annoying to deal with when left on defense" to me. Her red does stellar damage for the AP, but it's definitely not her "defining" ability. I don't actually think she'll be quite as good as she reads, since her powerset relies on sitting on your AP, and the AI rarely does that, but she's still one I'd think twice about tangling with boosted.

In short, if you're heavily PVP focused, I'd go for Mockingbird. Otherwise, Yondu is probably the better choice.
    You could put her on a team with Prof X and Medusa. They'd sit on a hell of a lot of AP ;)
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
     Yondu would round out a Carnage/Medusa team pretty well by filling in some color gaps and being annoying in his own way.
    I'd say Yondu's a poor fit to Cardusa. The attack tiles mean any time Yondu's out front, his Yaka Assault will be cancelled, and most of the time, you probably want to keep that rolling. His best initial partner is probably Grocket. As long as some of the strikes stick around, Yaka Assault is super nasty. Mockingbird is a pretty solid third, providing even more AP denial on a different color from Yondu, and guaranteeing at least one color (yellow) will work with both her passives once you collect enough yellow. And as always, pairs well with Starlord (less well, since Yondu's black cost won't reduce, but well enough).
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    That's a good point about cancelling out his Yaka Assault, but his Yaka Assault is still pretty damn good without the passive. Cardusa was just the first team to come to mind when I thought of teams that needed an active black that really benefit from flooding the board with tiles. Maybe a Venom/Medusa/Yondu team makes some sense as well.