The Plot of Honor Among Thieves?

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
Hi. I read all of the dialogue for Honor Among Thieves, but I feel like there was more to it than I understood. Please don't make fun of me for asking for help getting all of this.

There are presumably spoilers for those who haven't played through all of the way, so I shall hide them here:

So I get that it's about Star Lord going to get a relic. And in each chapter, there are more and more people added, so that he starts needing to split the earnings for that relic into smaller and smaller fractions.

And of course he has friendships and relationships with the other Guardians.

But what exactly is that relic? And why does it cause the planet to fall apart? I feel that it's sort of explained, but perhaps you need to have seen the movie or read the comics to understand it better? I feel there's additional information not presented in the text that I'm just not getting. Or maybe I was reading everything too quickly in my attempt to get through all my clears over the weekend, when I have very little personal time.

What were the security obstacles that they faced? And how did people disable them? Or what it simply that they "knew how to disable them", and it doesn't actually explain it to us in the text? That can be one of the challenges of being text-only, without any still or video cut-scenes... if there is action going on, it's hard to know, other than characters' responses to said actions.

What does the relic do, and what kind of person could they sell it to? These are the kinds of things that keep me up at night.

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I thought this event originally had more nodes but got trimmed down a while back, I don't remember for sure but it would explain the holes in the dialogue I guess
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Agree with Wonko, brigby said the original 4 subs were cut down to 3. Likely means that story will have some holes in it. A little lazy. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    If there were cuts I don't think they address the OPs concerns.  I had the same thought when they ran it before it was converted to a repeating event.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    If there were cuts I don't think they address the OPs concerns.  I had the same thought when they ran it before it was converted to a repeating event.
    my bad I misread the title and did not look at the spoilers,  I thought he meant "Thick as Thieves" ..... too many thieves in PvE I guess :) ... carry on
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think they got rid of any of the dialogue in translating from the three one-offs to the single 3-sub event. The text should remain the same. It's just hard for me to fully understand the actual story, other than the basics.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Here's the story as I understand it.  All the dialogue seemed the same from the individual events to the merge.

Start's off with Star Lord on a solo mission to find a relic.  He encounters enemies along the way, but eventually hits a energy shield he cant get though.
    He goes to get Rocket (and Groot) to break through. Rocket blows up the shield but then too many enemies swam in and they have to retreat.
    They come back again with Gamora. The shield is back this time, but Rocket disables it. With Gamora's help they are able to get to the relic.
    That's when Nova shows up and reveals that Star Lord was recruited by them to find it. Apparently it is generating some kind of dimensional shift that is attracting all the "rock guys" and "spider guys".
    Without closure, we are left to assume they escaped with the relic and the Guardians plan to sell it to the highest bidder.

@chaos01 - There were only 3 subs the first run, one each for the release of 5* Star Lord, and the 4* R&G and Gamora. They kept all the dialogue as far as I saw. 
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Here are my attempts at answers:

Relic: generic macguffin - it does some bad things, is powerful, and could be dangerous in the wrong hands. The specifics usually important, since the focus is on character here. Also, there are a number of neutral-ish collector / black market characters (not in MPQ) who can be counted on to buy various macguffins as needed. Someone more comic fluent than me can probably name a few.

Security and disabling: my understanding was that Rocket helps by just blowing up the laser matrix with an explosive weapon. No finesse, just BOOM (hence the "I could've done that.") But then there are too many enemies for them to handle (why can't Rocket shoot them all? No idea.) So they need Gamora to be the muscle who kills all the baddies that get in the way. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I stopped reading the stories for these things a long time ago. The only one that's even sort of entertaining is Webbed Wonder, and even then it's like...you read it once, then skip through it a billion times.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    And why is Nova teaming up with the Mindless Ones?  
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's the story as I understand it.  All the dialogue seemed the same from the individual events to the merge.

Start's off with Star Lord on a solo mission to find a relic.  He encounters enemies along the way, but eventually hits a energy shield he cant get though.
    He goes to get Rocket (and Groot) to break through. Rocket blows up the shield but then too many enemies swam in and they have to retreat.
    They come back again with Gamora. The shield is back this time, but Rocket disables it. With Gamora's help they are able to get to the relic.
    That's when Nova shows up and reveals that Star Lord was recruited by them to find it. Apparently it is generating some kind of dimensional shift that is attracting all the "rock guys" and "spider guys".
    Without closure, we are left to assume they escaped with the relic and the Guardians plan to sell it to the highest bidder.

@chaos01 - There were only 3 subs the first run, one each for the release of 5* Star Lord, and the 4* R&G and Gamora. They kept all the dialogue as far as I saw. 
    That's pretty much it. Star Lord goes in to steal a thing, then he calls in R&G for backup, and then they call in Gamora for more backup. Brief cameo by Nova at the end to reveal Star Lord was supposed to be retrieving the thing because it's dangerous, not stealing it to make a profit.

Warbringa said:
    He isn't. It's more like, as the Guardians flee, they're trying to escape Nova and the Mindless Ones at the same time. In a comic or cartoon, you'd probably see Nova blasting Mindless Ones out of the way as he goes. But the game can only represent two sides at a time, so it's easier for the game to put Nova and the Mindless Ones on the same side because you're fighting them at the same time, even if they aren't actually on the same team.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, I think Nova is supposed to be some generic representative of the Nova Corp here, not actually Sam Alexander.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Wait, these things have stories?
    Some people have no sense of humor, for the record I ROTFL at this!!! Thank you!!!!
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    @Blindman13 my bad I read a post in the August sneak peak incorrectly. Thanks for the correction. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was hoping they'd include a Drax chapter this time.
  • Milk Jugz
    Anon said:
    He seems to be the forgotten GotG, no?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    Anon said:

He is the Winston Zeddemore of the group, yes.

• Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz said:
    Anon said:

He is the Winston Zeddemore of the group, yes.

Who?

Ya gonna call?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards

Warbringa said:
    He isn't. It's more like, as the Guardians flee, they're trying to escape Nova and the Mindless Ones at the same time. In a comic or cartoon, you'd probably see Nova blasting Mindless Ones out of the way as he goes. But the game can only represent two sides at a time, so it's easier for the game to put Nova and the Mindless Ones on the same side because you're fighting them at the same time, even if they aren't actually on the same team.

Basically this.  I mean, why is the Punisher teaming up with the mob in "Prodigal Sun?"  He isn't, they're just both fighting the "heroes" (and PS definitely puts that in quotation mark,) at the same time.

Also, I'll note that Nova is quite literally the only active character in the entire event - it's a very goon-heavy event.  Which is actually quite awesome.

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Wait, these things have stories?
    Someone actually flagged this, lol.

I didn't really understand the story the first time they ran it, most of these events are just random bits of dialogue that give the illusion of a story.