Roster help: transitioning into the 4-star game with ten 4* Champs

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
edited August 2017 in Roster and Level Help
Here's my Roster: <a href="https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/626Aussie/">https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/626Aussie/</a>
It's only my 5-star and 4-stars, but I have every 3* (& lower) and they're all Championed (except when I recycle a 2-star for The Farm), I just didn't see the point in adding all 133 characters currently in my roster.

Capt. Marvel is most recent 4* Champion and is also currently my Bonus Hero because one more C4rol cover will reward with me another Legendary Token (so it's a 2-for-1 deal), and I was thinking of making Riri my next BH for the same reason. After that, I'm not sure who I'll be working on. I was thinking Prof X (5/3/3) or Kingpin (3/4/4), just because they're both so close. With the RNG being the fickle gods they are, I know if I set Prof X as my BH I have a bloody good chance of getting Blue covers for him, whereas any cover is good for Kingpin.

Carol and Medusa play very well together, and they also team up well with my Champ'd Star-Lord or Champ'd Hulk Cho, but I've also heard good things about Wasp (1/3/3), Cloak & Dagger (1/3/2), Carnage (4/2/1), and even Agent Coulson (1/-/3).

I like the thought of Kingpin with Carol & Medusa because KP can generate countdown tiles, except they'd also all be sharing (fighting over) the same colors. Then again, KP's Purple is a yellow AP generator so I could use it instead of Medusa's Purple, and KP's Yellow (at 5 covers) would spawn 7 counters, so I could use it instead of Carol's Yellow. Or...use KP's Yellow, generate more Yellow with his Purple, then use Carol's Yellow. With his high HP (13281 at 229) KP also seems pretty Tanky. At 270, I'd expect him to have 15-16k HP.

At this time I don't think any of my 5* are covered sufficiently to work any better than my 4*, but maybe I'm wrong. Surfer is 2/2/2 and Black Panther is 1/1/2. A 5*s 'match damage' by itself is nothing to sneeze at, and maybe Surfer or Black Panther are still usable even with just a few covers.

All recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're asking who to set as your bonus hero, you're head is in the right direction. Riri is really good and would make a nice friend for Medusa and Carol. Carnage + Medusa is crazy effective and many thirds fit in with that duo. I very recently champed all three of them and they've given my roster some much needed zip.

Prof X seems useful on the surface but outside of 'Charlie's Angels' I struggle to find reasons to use him. I don't have an opinion on Kingpin as mine is under-covered and under-leveled, so I have little experience.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I agree with @Dormammu; you can't go wrong with Riri; her rework makes her extremely useful. I don't think she works that well with Carol (no specials), but the red packs a punch even if unboosted. In PVE, I still run her with IM40 and a green user like Blade or Cho since I don't like her green, but your mileage may vary. And, the list of other heroes you mention are very good.

I like Prof. X a bit more than that, and he's a good partner with Carol. 3rd is best a character with cheap powers or countdowns like Coulson or Antman; Go invisible, fire off cheap powers, hilarity ensues. Note that if you champ Prof X, you lose winfinfinite for all intents and purposes, but that's not a big deal (and it seems like Witch or GSBW is boosted for the events you might want to dust it off for anyway). 

I think Kingpin has fun powers in theory, but the reality is that he doesn't pair well and his powers are too dependent on the board. His yellow/black overlap carol, so you can't really take advantage of firing off Maggia Pawns and use the countdowns to boost the strike tiles (and half of them get matched before firing to boot), his black does good damage but kills a countdown, and his Purple is OK but nothing to write home about. He's lower middle class for me in 4* land; good when boosted, but there are better options otherwise. 

Looking at your roster, I might consider Mr. F. After his rework he's much better, he plays well with Medusa, and you can start running Medusa/Carnage/Mr. F before either of the latter 2 are champed. The matches are long, but you take so little damage most of the time that you punch way above your weight.

My 2 cents, as always
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Riri was my last 4* Champion before Carol, and I was lucky to Champ her right before The Simulator Story (PvE) event. She was boosted for that event and she was a beast. The Simulator (& The Gauntlet) are the two Story events I've typically had the most trouble with, but with a boosted Riri, and I think Star-Lord and Hulk Cho to support her, I was amazed at how well I did this time around. I was even able to do the 4+3 clears on every Node, which is not something I'd been able to do in the past. I might have to give her a run with Medusa and Carol in the S.H.I.E.L.D. simulator (PvP).
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could consider Nova as well - yeah, he needs needs 3 covers rather than 2 like the others, but he is loads of fun and has some cheap powers to get stuck into.