Praise for the return of Environmental Tiles!!

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
I love the new geyser tiles in this Planetary PVE!! I think they are a lot of fun and deliver a unique experience. They provide just the right amount of variety without suddenly destroying the game, and they really make me feel like I'm on a special planet that's different from the other locations where we've fought opponents.

Keep up the good work! I hope they add in more random things like that over time in other events. I enjoy the unpredictability they provide.

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    That was one of the main reasons I wanted the three Guardians events to return as a regular event. The Hazard nodes are fun (even if most of the time I'm clearing them fast enough to not see the hazard). It's a very welcome subtle breath of freshness into the game, you know?
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Ditto here. And it's just part of that particular board/node, not something that you can get rid of by downing a particular character. I like having to figure out how to work around that. Not sure I'll be quite so copacetic when I don't have C4ge protecting me from most of the damage, but right now I'm enjoying them. lol.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed, I was even able to manipulate at least two row clearing ones to take out enemy CD tiles or special tiles I couldn't otherwise get rid of. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are ok. They're no hot dog stands, but not bad..
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    I also like the geyser tiles.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wasn't around for environment tiles - what did hot dog stands actually do?
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    Out of all the environmental tiles you choose to name, you choose one of the worst? o_0

Thorned Rose was awesome, and even now I still choose the forest PvP tile out of habit. 50 forest AP made you take 100 damage and gave you 5AP in every colour.

Or those glorious days of 2* Thor, 1* Storm and the Desert map with its Oasis ability. 50 Desert AP turns 6 random tiles green. Suck up that AP with Storm's (then) red ability, cast the move, get green, use Storm's green, absorb more tiles, probably get enough to do the environmental ability again...the original winfinite =)

Didja realise it's been 3 years now since the environmental tiles were replaced by TU tiles? Patch R58, released July 2014. How time flies.
    That would explain why I didn't have a clue about what really cool thing you were talking about...
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    Out of all the environmental tiles you choose to name, you choose one of the worst? o_0

Thorned Rose was awesome, and even now I still choose the forest PvP tile out of habit. 50 forest AP made you take 100 damage and gave you 5AP in every colour.

Or those glorious days of 2* Thor, 1* Storm and the Desert map with its Oasis ability. 50 Desert AP turns 6 random tiles green. Suck up that AP with Storm's (then) red ability, cast the move, get green, use Storm's green, absorb more tiles, probably get enough to do the environmental ability again...the original winfinite =)

Didja realise it's been 3 years now since the environmental tiles were replaced by TU tiles? Patch R58, released July 2014. How time flies.
    You just helped me figure out when I started playing!  I've been playing for a little over 3 years, but I have no idea what you are talking about with environmental tiles.  I must have started right after R58.
  • Dormammu
    Jarvind said:
    They were the City environment. You ate all the hot dogs and they healed you. Ahhh... the regenerative powers of hot dogs.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind said:
    It restored a small amount of health, I think 50 hp.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should have had a random factor. Like 90% of the time, the hot dogs heal you, but 10% of the time, a random character is stunned with food poisoning ;)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Environment_AP

Some of these abilities were really good. Some were utterly useless. Some were just broken.
    Used to hate being in High Tech matches because you'd get bombarded by random critical tiles constantly. And of course they always landed in the best places for the enemy and in the bottom left corner for you.

I suppose these are more evidence of power creep, back when 50HP healing was not a bad amount to get during a match. This was before burst heals, too.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    This sounds so cool! I wish they'd remake those. I loved playing against Thanos and collecting the gems - wish we had that in every match.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yu say that but...while I lamented them going (removing them neutered 1* and 3* Storm completely) I'm not sorry they're gone.

Imagine having an advantage over someone simply due to which map background you were on. "Oh, we're in Latveria...this is going to take longer..."
    Plus for a lot of abilities you simply didn't use them at all. Who honestly could give a damn about 50HP to the whole party? Cho'c hotdog stand does better than that.

Hey...I just realised...that's probably a reference I never got...

TU is better, really. Benefits everyone evenly.
  • nitefox1337
    nitefox1337 Posts: 80 Match Maker
    Ok, now really I think you guys are playing some other game. First they thank the devs for the PvE change which I didn't even notice.

And now I have no idea what you guys are talking about? What tile??? I cleared all levels till 4 and there's no such a thing as environmental tile or whatever?

Are you guys playing some other MPQ?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok, now really I think you guys are playing some other game. First they thank the devs for the PvE change which I didn't even notice.

And now I have no idea what you guys are talking about? What tile??? I cleared all levels till 4 and there's no such a thing as environmental tile or whatever?

In some of the matches, there are energy surge tiles. They're countdown tiles that drop in from the top, and will clear either a whole row or column when they hit zero. The clear itself doesn't do any damage or generate any AP, but you will take damage if it causes a cascade. Not sure if the enemy team gets AP from the cascade or not. 

If you're not in the third sub yet (Plan G), when it opens for you, look at the Winter Soldier required node. The description says that there are energy surges as an environmental hazard that destroy rows. If you're still in the second sub, there are probably levels there that have the feature too. Just tap on the node to bring up the screen that shows the enemies. If it features the environmental tiles, it will say so in the description. 
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    They are a nice addition to mix things up, but I'd like them more if they went off on a neutral turn so any cascades would damage both teams, not just mine. As it is they feel like a subtle boost to the AI team, even if they occasionally clear AI tiles.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reecoh said:
    They are a nice addition to mix things up, but I'd like them more if they went off on a neutral turn so any cascades would damage both teams, not just mine. As it is they feel like a subtle boost to the AI team, even if they occasionally clear AI tiles.
    They can be a boost to our team if they go off and destroy a particularly powerful enemy tile.
  • Dormammu

I didn't realize they were environmental tiles at first either, because the Mindless Ones and Symbiotes throw out so many countdown tiles as it is I simply thought it was them. Easy to do when I'm burning through nodes as fast as possible for placement - I tend to miss these things.

At some point I was ready to fire Dr. Strange's stun and was cycling through my enemies so I could see which ones dropped which tiles and I realized the environmental tiles didn't belong to any of them. That's how I figured it out.