What is the optimal way to clear 2 day subs?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I apologize in advance because I'm sure this has been talked about in other threads, but either my search skills are poor or this forum's search skills are poor.

My timing stinks for placement in 2 day PvE subs and its affecting my overall placement. Any advice is appreciated, even if it's a link to another thread I missed.

Comments

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Does anyone do the full 6 clears on the loaner node? With the timer starting the first time you do it, the strategy for maximizing points from it changes.  I usually hit it once to open the other nodes, than again after my 4x on the others, then if I have time, I'll get a third time at the end.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only times I bother with 6 clears on the loner are when it's a 7-day event or when those 10 points will bump me to a new SHIELD rank and I need the Iso right away.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    I used to do 6 clears on the loaner node, but no longer do unless it's worth points at the end AND I'm actually in contention for the next rank category. If I'm sitting at 35, there's no way I'm going to make T20 off the last few points I can dredge out of the loaner node and it's often frustrating to play because the team rarely works well together so I'd rather skip it.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always mean to get more clears on the loaner node but I often forget   :s  especially if the node is on the main event screen rather than the sub screen.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I always mean to get more clears on the loaner node but I often forget   :s  especially if the node is on the main event screen rather than the sub screen.
    It's frustrating that not all PvEs play by the same rules. Newer ones have the loaner on the sub event as standard. Older ones put it on the main event and *sometimes they run out before the end of the event without warning*

Like Enemy of the State. That first loaner node only exists on the first day and is replaced by a new one that lasts the rest of the event. It's bonkers and frustrating =/
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    It's frustrating that not all PvEs play by the same rules. Newer ones have the loaner on the sub event as standard. Older ones put it on the main event and *sometimes they run out before the end of the event without warning*

Like Enemy of the State. That first loaner node only exists on the first day and is replaced by a new one that lasts the rest of the event. It's bonkers and frustrating =/
    DITTO THAT. All of it. But especially that.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone do the full 6 clears on the loaner node? With the timer starting the first time you do it, the strategy for maximizing points from it changes.  I usually hit it once to open the other nodes, than again after my 4x on the others, then if I have time, I'll get a third time at the end.
    Optimal scoring off the Loaner Node if it's in the sub is to hit it once at the start, once when it refreshes (if it's a 2-day Sub) and then three more times at the end, same as the rest.

If it's in the main page, but only good during the Sub, same thing, altho depending on your device and connection, it may not be worth the time switching back and forth between the main event and the sub, and so best to just do all three on the Loaner at the same time.

If it's in the main page and good for the full event, clear it once right at the start, and then once each time it refreshes, then three clears at the end.

If I end up doing my final clears faster than expected, and have a few minutes, and tapping a 3-pointer a couple of times won't help my placement, I'll run the Loaner to 6 clears, just for the XP, but optimal scoring won't usually get you to 6 clears on it.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing I have been wondering with 48 hour subs, is it better to do the 5th clear 24 hours after the start of the sub or 24 hours after your 4th clears?

One slight tweak I always do to those first four clears is to get all of them to 3 clears and then knock off the 4th clears one after the other so all my 5th clears are due at the same time.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:

Then there's Meet Rocket and Groot, with the Loaner in the first sub, then a different loaner added to the main page when sub 2 starts, then a third loaner added alongside the second one when sub 3 starts. At least when the new loaners are added to EotS, they're one and done, so you don't have to manage them (that's how I remember them anyway).
    And Florida is an awful mess. Don't know why they thought it was necessary to make that awful, meandering maze to unlock all the missions.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    zodiac339 said:
    Dormammu said:

Then there's Meet Rocket and Groot, with the Loaner in the first sub, then a different loaner added to the main page when sub 2 starts, then a third loaner added alongside the second one when sub 3 starts. At least when the new loaners are added to EotS, they're one and done, so you don't have to manage them (that's how I remember them anyway).
    And Florida is an awful mess. Don't know why they thought it was necessary to make that awful, meandering maze to unlock all the missions.
    If I remember right, Florida used to be worse. Used to be the nodes didn't lock, so you had to grind *all* of them.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl said:
    The thing I have been wondering with 48 hour subs, is it better to do the 5th clear 24 hours after the start of the sub or 24 hours after your 4th clears?
    It's best to do the fifth clear of each Node right as it recharges to full value.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 said:
    Dormammu said:

If I remember right, Florida used to be worse. Used to be the nodes didn't lock, so you had to grind *all* of them.
    Sounds right. Remember before the normalized timers were put on and The Hunt was, what was it, 12 hour subs, repeating over the 3 days with about a 4 hour overlap where two subs were open at the same time? Or maybe 6 hour overlap. It was crazy, whatever those timers were.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    zodiac339 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    Dormammu said:

Sounds right. Remember before the normalized timers were put on and The Hunt was, what was it, 12 hour subs, repeating over the 3 days with about a 4 hour overlap where two subs were open at the same time? Or maybe 6 hour overlap. It was crazy, whatever those timers were.
    There was a time when The Hulk was squished to a 3 or 4 day event so as you say each sub event was 12 hours with an 8 hour refresh. So you had to hit them when they opened, hit again 8 hours later, then hit again about 2-3 hours later before the sub ended, then hit the new one...so you were doing two clears per sub and then a full clear out *twice a day*.

Hated it. I ended up quitting PvE whenever those showed up because it wasn't fun. It was less fun when the refresh tmer was 2.5 hours.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    zodiac339 said:
    zodiac339 said:
    Dormammu said:

There was a time when The Hulk was squished to a 3 or 4 day event so as you say each sub event was 12 hours with an 8 hour refresh. So you had to hit them when they opened, hit again 8 hours later, then hit again about 2-3 hours later before the sub ended, then hit the new one...so you were doing two clears per sub and then a full clear out *twice a day*.

Hated it. I ended up quitting PvE whenever those showed up because it wasn't fun. It was less fun when the refresh tmer was 2.5 hours.
    I still have no idea how a developer can come up with a crazy scheme like that - and even think that it's a good idea.
    Even worse, I don't know how we kept playing PVE through those dark ages.
  • zodiac339
    Bowgentle said:
    zodiac339 said:

I still have no idea how a developer can come up with a crazy scheme like that - and even think that it's a good idea.
    Even worse, I don't know how we kept playing PVE through those dark ages.
    The dark days of early roster development. PVP relied on 2-stars, and I hadn't even figured out why those red missions showed up. Those crazy PVE events made me think, "Do they not understand that people sleep and work? This is either for unemployed people, rich people, or Chinese sweat shops were the account is passed from one person to the next." You have to admit, the developers have made good changes to the game as it's progressed. Not sure that forgives poor initial design, but it has improved.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    At lot fewer people did optimal clears back in those days.  We also only had 5 health packs.  It was more about winning as many battles as you could before hitting zero health packs, rather than winning as fast as you can.  Maybe the t10 players were doing full clears, but I know I wasn't.