Random things I'm considering

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
I had a few "off the wall" ideas I was considering and figured they'd make for good discussion (maybe) and I really need to see them written down to personally guage my craziness.

1) Winter Soldier purple progression for the next PVE. 5+/0/1 does not need that. I can't play optimally every day for an event. I've tried and it was awful. Real life interrupts at some point...and that is OK by me! With new SCL scaling tho, I could probably drop down and clear fast enough to make placement work. Plus I need 3* Gamora covers too as I have no 3* that is max champed, even though I'm fully in the 4* realm now. Maybe I should play this event for 3* covers/placement?

2) I started thinking about Vaulting, and how it forced me to cover a certain set of chosen (not by me!) characters faster. That's given me a 279 RiRi, a character I have no ties to and don't care to have as one of my top characters (i.e. use a whole lot). So I was thinking about setting her as a BH, doing enough pulls until I got one cover to re-roster her (as a start, I still want everyone championed at some point) and then selling my 279 while the sell price is still high due to the re-work. Don't get me wrong, the re-work is great but I can max my value out of her here and use that ISO and HP where I wan to now.

3) #2 immediately made me think of Mordo. He's at 277 and also has the high resell value. When I heard Mordo was coming into the game, I was thinking Baron Mordo from the Masters of Evil, a group of Cap villains. That may actually have been Baron Zemo, but the point is the same. I hadn't seen the Dr. Strange movie yet, didn't care much about Strange when I was a comic reading kid, and didn't know who Mordo was. Now he's also one of my top people. Maybe I should follow the same strategy as I'm considering with RiRi? (Btw, Mordos re-work was awesome also)

Anyway, those are my crazy thoughts for the day.

Comments

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    IMO selling either Mordo or RiRi is a short-term gain / long-term loss. There will likely come a day when you wish you had them back. You earn more ISO every day (maybe not as fast as you want), but getting that many covers again will take a lot more work. 
    Speaking of earning more ISO, if you are planning on playing at your own pace, you might as well go for the higher SCL to get the better progression rewards. Even if you get a WS cover you can't use, you can sell it to level someone else.
    In this race, do you want to be the tortoise or the hare?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    1. Depends on your goals.  If you don't care about rostering Yondu who will be required next time, then dropping down is probably smart (you didn't specify how far but based on context I'm assuming 6 or lower).  I personally wouldn't take that chance, but I'm not you.
    2. After the Riri rework I think she's gonna come out as a top tier.  I think you'll regret selling her unless you don't care about performance.
    3. Riri's rework was 100x times better than Mordos.  If you think Mordos was good you really should give Riri a try (though you just missed her being feature, she was an absolute beast).
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Don't really see much point in selling off champ characters solely for the reason that you have no real attachment to them. You've got them champed, just take advantage of the champ levels you'll eventually get from them, which quite good for 4 stars.

So many of the new characters I've never read a comic for yet they are some of my favorites like Kamala, Rulk, Cho, and Kid Nova...now I can add riri to that list, they're some of the best characters to play with in the game and not knowing squat about them doesn't hamper the enjoyment one should get using them.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    CL6 will still give Yondu covers, 1 to the t50, 2 for t20, and 3 for t10. I have my queue full for who I can champ without wasting covers. That WS in progression at CLs 7 & 8 will push me over the edge and I'll need to waste one. But, if I drop down to 6 and clean up, I have a better chance of earning more than the 1 Yondu cover I will in CL8. It's a move I'm seriously considering, though I've never dropped from the highest available Cl since they were implemented. I guess what I'm saying is if you don't need the WS cover, do it!!

On a side note, CL6 enemies scale from 19-220. I haven't seen an enemy on the hard nodes in my end grinds less than 320ish (hardest were at 370ish before the change) in quite a long time. Should knock quite a bit of time of all my grinds and clears.

As for your other 2 points, I'd say keep them. How many champ 4s do you have? It would be a pretty **** feeling to sell them both and in 2-3 weeks the only champs you would have had on that boost list is Riri and Mordo
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Beer40 said:

:snip:

2) I started thinking about Vaulting, and how it forced me to cover a certain set of chosen (not by me!) characters faster. That's given me a 279 RiRi, a character I have no ties to and don't care to have as one of my top characters (i.e. use a whole lot). So I was thinking about setting her as a BH, doing enough pulls until I got one cover to re-roster her (as a start, I still want everyone championed at some point) and then selling my 279 while the sell price is still high due to the re-work. Don't get me wrong, the re-work is great but I can max my value out of her here and use that ISO and HP where I wan to now.

3) #2 immediately made me think of Mordo. He's at 277 and also has the high resell value. When I heard Mordo was coming into the game, I was thinking Baron Mordo from the Masters of Evil, a group of Cap villains. That may actually have been Baron Zemo, but the point is the same. I hadn't seen the Dr. Strange movie yet, didn't care much about Strange when I was a comic reading kid, and didn't know who Mordo was. Now he's also one of my top people. Maybe I should follow the same strategy as I'm considering with RiRi? (Btw, Mordos re-work was awesome also)

Anyway, those are my crazy thoughts for the day.
    Champ level means a lot in 4* tier (unlike 3*). Each champ level translates to roughly 1% increase in damage from the base-value at lv270. For reference, my Riri is lv320, her red deals 7250/14500 at 5 covers. Selling a lv279 Riri (9+13 = 22 covers) is essentially sacrificing 22% permanent damage boost. For a pure damage dealer like Riri, I think keeping her big is more beneficial than the selling prize. (Mine can be sell for 230k iso and 6k hp which is not worth it at all.)

PS: This is the reason why chasing for 4* covers for champ levels are so important even you are already firmly settled in 4* land (I'm chasing them too! LoL)
  • Beer40
    So I've read everyone's advice, and I appreciate it. I am going to heed the advice and keep RiRi and Mordo (although that high sale price is tempting!).

I did drop down in CL to avoid a wasted Winter Soldier cover. I thought I'd try for placement again and play optimally. I did that last night and was reminded why I don't like it. So I'll probably end up with one Yondu cover, if I'm lucky, and that's fine with me. I'll get it from progression next event anyway.
  • Milk Jugz
    Beer40 said:
    So I've read everyone's advice, and I appreciate it. I am going to heed the advice and keep RiRi and Mordo (although that high sale price is tempting!).

I did drop down in CL to avoid a wasted Winter Soldier cover. I thought I'd try for placement again and play optimally. I did that last night and was reminded why I don't like it. So I'll probably end up with one Yondu cover, if I'm lucky, and that's fine with me. I'll get it from progression next event anyway.
    You went with 6 then? I did too. Did my clear in about 35 minutes. Took a little longer as I had to celebrate the Browns winning as many games after their first preseason game this season as they did in the entirety of last season. I was 10th, well 9th, one guy over cleared a node to be in 1st.....
  • Beer40
    Milk Jugz said:
    Beer40 said:

You went with 6 then? I did too. Did my clear in about 35 minutes. Took a little longer as I had to celebrate the Browns winning as many games after their first preseason game this season as they did in the entirety of last season. I was 10th, well 9th, one guy over cleared a node to be in 1st.....
    Yea, honestly I appreciate the easier clear times. More often that not (like probably almost always) I am not going to take a top 20 placement award from anyone by dropping down. I'll still finish somewhere between 36-103 like I usually do, I'd guess. This event for lesser rewards than the usual SCL8 ones. That's ok. The quicker clears are worth it. Tonight, when I decide I want to play at 8 or 9 instead of the optimal end of the event and only do 6 clears, I'll take whatever placement I get and be happy!
  • Milk Jugz
    Beer40 said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Beer40 said:

Yea, honestly I appreciate the easier clear times. More often that not (like probably almost always) I am not going to take a top 20 placement award from anyone by dropping down. I'll still finish somewhere between 36-103 like I usually do, I'd guess. This event for lesser rewards than the usual SCL8 ones. That's ok. The quicker clears are worth it. Tonight, when I decide I want to play at 8 or 9 instead of the optimal end of the event and only do 6 clears, I'll take whatever placement I get and be happy!
    Since we were talking about it. I've finished all my clears and grinds optimally to this point. One more optional end grind and I have t10 locked up! Will be my first ever t10 finish, albeit, I dropped to CL6 to do it......