Demoralizing RNG Algorithm for 5* pulls

2»

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Lots of people complain about 5* pull odds (and it's largely valid but they're so busy focusing on whether or not they could cover and champ ab5* they don't bother asking whether or not they should....until it's too late. 

Jarvind isn't the only player I've seen despise their transition, snowcatt has also made similar comments in the past too. In particular it's devastating for pvp (pve has been somewhat rectified now) many honest advice is to keep your 5s softcapped to a level where they are about as powerful as your 4s
    Very helpful when both peanut and I have 5+ champed 5s and are trying to cover more of them.

And yes, please, keep softcapping your 5s, less competition for t5 in pvp and t10 in PVE is always welcome.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Lots of people complain about 5* pull odds (and it's largely valid but they're so busy focusing on whether or not they could cover and champ ab5* they don't bother asking whether or not they should....until it's too late. 

Jarvind isn't the only player I've seen despise their transition, snowcatt has also made similar comments in the past too. In particular it's devastating for pvp (pve has been somewhat rectified now) many honest advice is to keep your 5s softcapped to a level where they are about as powerful as your 4s
    Very helpful when both peanut and I have 5+ champed 5s and are trying to cover more of them.

And yes, please, keep softcapping your 5s, less competition for t5 in pvp and t10 in PVE is always welcome.
    Do you ever make posts that aren't snide references to how much better you are than everyone else?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards

I said this more or less during @Jarvind's original post about his 5* experience - the initial transition is hard of course, but if you stick with it and get advice on coping with the changes, very doable, and yes it gets better as you develop your roster, adding new 5*s and raising 4*s to a level where they are usable when buffed.

Don't even have to join a Line shield check room for pvp - lots of people get by well enough playing their own way. Just learn how the new environment works. 

• stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    I recently went 6 for 10  with my 20 cp and token pulls, plus one bonus panther.. it was a good weekend. Makes up for my previous 2 week drought. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd agree with your assessment Piro if every individual token pull was run through the RNG to determine the outcome.  But I don't think that's how D3 works the tokens.  Unless they've completely reworked the RNG process (so that each individual pull is randomized), it's been shown that with each new 5* introduction, each player effectively gets a randomized set of tokens (like a shuffled deck of cards), the order of which won't change until the next 5* goes into tokens.

I don't know how deep that "deck of cards" goes, but my guess (and I could be wrong) is that the stated probability of pulling a 5* is worked into the distribution of tokens into the deck, but it could take hundreds of pulls, perhaps, to see it. From folks I know who have hoarded huge amounts of tokens and CP, redemptions typically come close to that 15%.
    I've seen nothing to indicate that the token algorithm is anything like "shuffling a deck of cards".  If it were like that, then everyone would receive the same rewards if they drew as many tokens as there are in the deck.

I don't think there is any evidence of any meaningful "shuffling" after a new character is released either: it's a straight substitution of one for another (so pulls that would have hit one particular 5* cover in latest legends before the release might hit another particular 5* cover after).

I'm pretty sure they are using a pseudo random number generator, where they maintain a separate instance for each token type per user.  While the output of a PRNG will always be the same given a particular starting state, they're designed so that the output should be indistinguishable from real random data.  So don't expect a string of bad luck to automatically mean you'll later get a string of good luck to balance it out.