New to farming

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    I guess that makes sense.  I'm just now finally after 500+  days (VIP since it started) getting to the point where HP is so easy to come by that I'm building a surplus.  so I can see that making sense some day.  I'm sitting on around 4k right now which is a new non-purchase high mark for available HP for me.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marginally better characters are still better.
    This is why I always kept my full roster of max-champed twos. DDQ is a breeze and in PvE essential nodes they can take the heat off. Recently Bullseye was the 2-star essential and I had a blast teaming him with (boosted) Falcon and Wasp, which is an insanely effective team. I'll always keep a max-champed Ares around. He can handle the 2-star DDQ nodes all by himself and out-performs a lot of 3-star characters.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    I used to sell my 2*s then replace them after the fact.  However this has led to almost missing out on a Behemoth Burrito (not having the required 2*) and occasional cover waste (when I RNG doesn't give you the right amount to rebuild 13 in 2 weeks).  So what I'm trying now is when I champ one, I apply the L95 for the heroic, then I use the next 13 covers to immediately build a replacement.  Any 6th covers before 13 are then applied to champ.  Once I hit 13 on the dup, I'll start leveling the champ in earnest.  Once it hits 144 I'll immediately sell and re-champ.  

I'm only in the first few days of this new way so not quite sure how it will work yet.
    I use a very similar system to what broll is doing.  I have a handful of extra roster spots for flipping my 2*s.  When they get to level 131 I start building up the dupe to 13 covers.  If I have 6th covers come up they go into the leveled one so they don't clog up my cover queue.  Then once I get the dupe cover maxed I put all the covers back into the level 131 character until that is max-champed.  Then sell the max champ and immediately use the ISO to rechamp the dupe.  This makes my farm pretty self-sufficient since it only costs me 11K to flip them which is one day's worth of DDQ.

With 3*s I've just been rostering a dupe as soon as I hit max champ with the original.  Then when I get enough covers to champ the new one I do so.  It is definitely an ISO drain compared to the 2*s since I am not selling the max-champ but I think once my second crop flips it will work out.  Having max champed 3*s is just too helpful in PVP to immediately flip them.  

After spending the HP to allow for a 2* farm you really only need 1k or 2k HP every two weeks for the new releases and that is usually easy enough to stay ahead of.  
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it takes three cycles of farming a 2* to get 1k in hp or at least close to it. With pve rewards for personal and alliance play and pvp rewards and getting hp from champ rewards I feel like Scrooge McDuck swimming in a vault full of hp. Hell I'm about to drop another 3k to roster the last of the 4*s that I need and I think that would take me down to about 4k in hp. And I say this as a free to play gamer. 

So it really just depends on what you value the most in this game. Some people are heavy in pvp and won't flinch at getting a 24hr shield but I'd rather put that towards another roster slot. So I agree with Daredevil in that respect.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have three 2* maxed at all times (Ares, Mags, Storm- my DDQ team). I cycle the others and a dupe of those three. As soon as one hits 144 and I pull another cover I sell it off and roster the one cover. Right now it's a minor inconvenience to have a 1-5 cover for BB or essential node. Eventually I'll get to the point where I have a max champ of all 13 and 13 cycling, that's my goal anyway.

I've started 3* farming recently also. Have 9 dupes, 5 fully covered and one original at 264 (I start the 3* dupes at 252, earlier than most I'm sure but it paid off as I added 10 covers to one before fully covering the dupe). Looks like 3Cap will be my first dupe champ. I won't sell a 3* until the dupe is very near max (260ish).
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I've had a 2* farm for awhile now, rolled it over many times. This may not apply to anyone else, but I'll add it in case it does. 

I'm currently just building ISO as I can to champion five 4* that are at 13 covers and underleveled (172 Ant Man, 160 IW, 141 NF, 127 Kate Bishop, and 70 AV). If you've read my posts before, you might note that IW has been waiting to be champed for a LONG time. Basically, due to Vaulting increasing the amount of 4* covers I'd get with the "chosen 12" and reaching 13 covers for more desirable characters (Rulk, Peggy, etc...) in that time, my amount of 4* that need championed only continues to grow. And the rate its out pacing my ISO is definitely noticeable.

Maintaining a 2* farm during this period of roster building has been difficult. I've made the choice at the end of each season to re-stock my farm and then re-build my ISO and then use ISO gained during the season to champion as many 4* as I'm able. I've been doing this for a few seasons now and I'm falling behind.

8 days or so into the current season and I need ISO for the 5 above mentioned 4* and/or I can use ISO for my 13 cover Daken, Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye who all have covers expiring soon.

Long story short, I'm going to put the farm on hold. I'll sell all those covers for ISO (its needed) and get my 4* caught back up before I worry about my farm again.

If you start farming and find yourself in a similar situation, I suggest you do the same.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    I have three 2* maxed at all times (Ares, Mags, Storm- my DDQ team). I cycle the others and a dupe of those three. As soon as one hits 144 and I pull another cover I sell it off and roster the one cover.
    That was my original farming strategy except I had about 3 un-champed at any given time, but the cycle method was the same.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Beer40 said:
    I've had a 2* farm for awhile now, rolled it over many times. This may not apply to anyone else, but I'll add it in case it does. 

I'm currently just building ISO as I can to champion five 4* that are at 13 covers and underleveled (172 Ant Man, 160 IW, 141 NF, 127 Kate Bishop, and 70 AV). If you've read my posts before, you might note that IW has been waiting to be champed for a LONG time. Basically, due to Vaulting increasing the amount of 4* covers I'd get with the "chosen 12" and reaching 13 covers for more desirable characters (Rulk, Peggy, etc...) in that time, my amount of 4* that need championed only continues to grow. And the rate its out pacing my ISO is definitely noticeable.

Maintaining a 2* farm during this period of roster building has been difficult. I've made the choice at the end of each season to re-stock my farm and then re-build my ISO and then use ISO gained during the season to champion as many 4* as I'm able. I've been doing this for a few seasons now and I'm falling behind.

8 days or so into the current season and I need ISO for the 5 above mentioned 4* and/or I can use ISO for my 13 cover Daken, Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye who all have covers expiring soon.

Long story short, I'm going to put the farm on hold. I'll sell all those covers for ISO (its needed) and get my 4* caught back up before I worry about my farm again.

If you start farming and find yourself in a similar situation, I suggest you do the same.
    This is why I'm farming as I outlined previously in this thread - because I have to plow the ISO back in when it feels like a minimal cost instead of a major one. But when I break down the numbers, I come out either as a break even or ahead in general.

By the numbers:
    Initial 13 covers plus 49 champ levels worth of covers = 62 covers, which is 15.5k ISO worth of covers if sold immediately.
    Amount of ISO gained from champ level rewards = 17.5k. Plus 5 Heroic tokens, 250 HP, 5 CP, and three 3* covers.

Cost differential for turning over the champ: 69,530 to level from 15 to 94, +5K to champ = 74,530 ISO. Sell-off price for fully champed is 65K. Differential is 9,530 in iso.

With the 2k difference between direct sale and champ reward levels, that comes down to 7,530.

Most of that is offset by the champ level rewards from the 3*s gained through farming, and the Heroic tokens. If anything, there's maybe a 3k drought in the end and that's a cheap price for the CP and HP.

------------------------------------

However, for where I am in the game (or was when I started), I could not have started UP the farm without the major influx of ISO I got by emptying both Taco Vaults.

Now I'm sitting on 3 12-cover 4*s who need to be brought up from below L100 to L250, and 2 13-cover who are ready to champ but have no covers waiting for them. At my current intake rate of ISO, that's about 5 to 6 weeks worth of ISO, and then I can be concerned about those sitting at 11/10/9 covers (many of which are already capped as far as they can go, but there's probably about a 500K shortage for the others, so maybe another 6 weeks worth of ISO after that?)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the net ISO loss on selling and re-champing 2-stars is regained from going up shield levels from XP, as well.
  • animaniactoo
    Good point.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    It takes time and some initial HP expenditure but really pays off in the long run.  I am probably in the minority as I tend to keep my favorite 2* (OBW, Ares, Daken, Thor,Storm) always champed regardless since I use them in DDQ and 2* are still a required essential.  I will have  a second copy going at all times of those 5 and when I get 2 of them at 144, I sell one off and begin again.  I will also keep a copy of a 144 on the roster until I get their replacement to at least 13 covers for the other 2* not named above.  So at any one time I may have 2 copies of any given 2* on my roster.  For example, right now, I have 21 2* characters on my roster, 8 fully champed and the other 13 are building towards 144. I normally simply sell a 144 champed if I need to start a new 2* farm characters so that those 21 spots are normally rotating.  I don't look at it as a drag on resources though because I can always sell one off for iso and roster spot if needed in a pinch.  I encourage you to look at the investment return over time, not the initial cost. I always think of a 2* champ at 144 as a bank of 65,000 iso and 1125 hp that I can access whenever I would need to free up iso or roster slots! Fortunately, I haven't had an HP pinch for a while and am sitting on 15000+ HP so, the farm can just recycle and do its thing for me. It works for me because I am fairly patient when it comes to champing 4*.  I have a number of 4* I can champ now and am sitting on 1 million iso (plus at least another 250,000 from easily sold 2* champs atm) but I am in no hurry since I already have a good useful stable of champed 4* that I can use.  I usually only champ a 4* if I have excess covers waiting for them, that way I tend to stay out of the whole iso trap of having excess covers but not having the iso to champ them.  
  • Beer40
    Beer40 said:

This is why I'm farming as I outlined previously in this thread - because I have to plow the ISO back in when it feels like a minimal cost instead of a major one. But when I break down the numbers, I come out either as a break even or ahead in general.

By the numbers:
    Initial 13 covers plus 49 champ levels worth of covers = 62 covers, which is 15.5k ISO worth of covers if sold immediately.
    Amount of ISO gained from champ level rewards = 17.5k. Plus 5 Heroic tokens, 250 HP, 5 CP, and three 3* covers.

Cost differential for turning over the champ: 69,530 to level from 15 to 94, +5K to champ = 74,530 ISO. Sell-off price for fully champed is 65K. Differential is 9,530 in iso.

With the 2k difference between direct sale and champ reward levels, that comes down to 7,530.

Most of that is offset by the champ level rewards from the 3*s gained through farming, and the Heroic tokens. If anything, there's maybe a 3k drought in the end and that's a cheap price for the CP and HP.

However, for where I am in the game (or was when I started), I could not have started UP the farm without the major influx of ISO I got by emptying both Taco Vaults.

Now I'm sitting on 3 12-cover 4*s who need to be brought up from below L100 to L250, and 2 13-cover who are ready to champ but have no covers waiting for them. At my current intake rate of ISO, that's about 5 to 6 weeks worth of ISO, and then I can be concerned about those sitting at 11/10/9 covers (many of which are already capped as far as they can go, but there's probably about a 500K shortage for the others, so maybe another 6 weeks worth of ISO after that?)
    So wait, you're saying I need to stay course, and it should slowly work itself out?
  • animaniactoo
    edited August 2017
    Beer40 said:
    Beer40 said:

By the numbers:

So wait, you're saying I need to stay course, and it should slowly work itself out?
    Most likely, but it also depends on how much ISO you bring in on the average day. I run about 30-35k per day.

And at a point when I was drastically short, I did sell off some that had dups that were near ready and those haven't been completely replaced yet, but I'll get there soon enough.

The key has been rolling them over when it feels like I'm only spending the "additional" 9,530 to roll them. Using the sale of one fully champed right then at the time to level up and champ the next from L15 (I don't pour any iso into them until I have 13 covers for them). At that point, the difference is about one day's worth of DDQ haul +alliance resupply bonus, and it doesn't feel so huge.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 said:
    Beer40 said:

By the numbers:

Most likely, but it also depends on how much ISO you bring in on the average day. I run about 30-35k per day.

And at a point when I was drastically short, I did sell off some that had dups that were near ready and those haven't been completely replaced yet, but I'll get there soon enough.

The key has been rolling them over when it feels like I'm only spending the "additional" 9,530 to roll them. Using the sale of one fully champed right then at the time to level up and champ the next from L15 (I don't pour any iso into them until I have 13 covers for them). At that point, the difference is about one day's worth of DDQ haul +alliance resupply bonus, and it doesn't feel so huge.
    Thanks! I'm going to start tracking my ISO more closely and see if I can stay the course. I'd rather do that than overhaul the system I've been using for awhile now.
  • Milk Jugz
    Beer40 said:
    Beer40 said:
    Beer40 said:

By the numbers:

Thanks! I'm going to start tracking my ISO more closely and see if I can stay the course. I'd rather do that than overhaul the system I've been using for awhile now.
    Between champ rewards (which fluctuate), alliance bonus, PVP play (900 every event), PVE play (usually average green checks), VIP, and daily bonuses I average roughly 50k/ day. Some days it's less, some more. I usually run my farm where I'm selling one to champ another. But, at times, like now, I run my farm into the ground to champ a string of 4* in a row. I have Antman, Miles, Mordo to champ in 2 weeks and then Bucky in 2 1/2, then Thing in about 3 1/2. I have 6 2* getting close to max, I'll run the farm into the ground to champ the 4s, then I'll take a break for about a week, week and a half to re-champ all the 2s I sold off. It works itself out and 2s champ much faster than 4s. So taking a break isn't all that bad.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am also relatively aggressive on 3s. If I need a shot of iso to champ a 4*, I start looking at the 266s and evaluate who can go. I'd rather have a clone of a 3* re-rostered, and better yet re-champed before selling, but there are quite a few who contribute just about nothing, and are easy to let go. 

Good luck with the farm!
    Not me.  Max-champed 3*s are very nice in competitive PvP.  Having a low-level 3* champ or even a non-champed 3* puts a huge bulls-eye on your back.  So for 3*s, I keep the level 266 guy and create a duplicate.  When that one gets to 266, I'll sell him.
  • Milk Jugz
    Orion said:
    I am also relatively aggressive on 3s. If I need a shot of iso to champ a 4*, I start looking at the 266s and evaluate who can go. I'd rather have a clone of a 3* re-rostered, and better yet re-champed before selling, but there are quite a few who contribute just about nothing, and are easy to let go. 

Good luck with the farm!
    Not me.  Max-champed 3*s are very nice in competitive PvP.  Having a low-level 3* champ or even a non-champed 3* puts a huge bulls-eye on your back.  So for 3*s, I keep the level 266 guy and create a duplicate.  When that one gets to 266, I'll sell him.
    How some of my alliance mates put it, an under leveled 3* becomes Thano5-bait......
  • Tintaiwan
    Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
    Farming is GREAT.    HERO POINTS make the world go round...

Personally I don't like a bunch a unusable 2star covers in the 2 week reward countdown.  So if I can I immediately sell when I can replace roster someone.  

Only trouble is sometimes you don't pull what you need to rechamp.  But the most I have had to sell is one or two covers.  (right now waiting on blue cover for 2* BW and have 7 purple on the vine) 

• Power_Stryke
    Power_Stryke Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    How I've done it has changed over time & now I run additional 2*s or perhaps duplicates would be a better way of saying it & just farm & add iso to them as required. The more championed 3 & 4 * you have the less farming you need to do, is what I've found. I was farming them as fast I could up to max at first.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    I am on my second cycle of 2 * Farming.  Wish I had done it sooner.

I personally, build them up to 144, then start collecting a duplicate.
    When the duplicate gets to 13 covers.  I then sell the fully champed version.
    Then I champ the duplicate.  
    The cost difference is only around 9K iso, so you don't feel it as much.

This works best for me.