When should I start a 3* dupe.

Options
cubnad
cubnad Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
As the title says just wondering when people started their 3 star dupes. I was planning on LVL 250, my patch and battery Man are high 140's.
Also far more noob question to roster a 3* dupe would I buy a new slot first and recruit them from my charaters list? 

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To roster a duplicate click on a little star in the corner - it give you a choice of applying the cover or rostering it (it will then put it in the open slot or prompt you to buy a slot).

As to when? I've decided that lvl 261 is my cut off point (15 CP - last great reward before the final two). It normally should give enough space to operate. I have just recently championed my first duplicate - GSBW, and I got lucky to have no duplicate covers so it was smooth.

One thing to be careful about - when the cover lands in the rewards section make sure you apply it to the duplicate. If you just click on add lvl it will go to the high level champion closing the window a bit. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    L259 is what I'm using as my cutoff point right now.  Exception to that is if I can use/need the 4* from L265.  Currently I have my IM40 as my first dup created at L259 (my first) and I have a L264 Deadpool as the 4* De4dpool cover will 13 him.  Next highest after that is Kamala @ L254.  I can see my HP fading now....
  • Magic
    Options
    Tell me about it :( I have IM40, Khamala, Patch, Switch and Captain duplicated and GSBW at lvl 167 (first dup champion). So much HP went into this but I think it's worth it overall in the long run (marathon really).

As for the level 259 vs 261 is pretty much no difference. I go for the extra levels to get the CP so I can see my hoard rising. 
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been willing to let a few 3* covers die on the vine here and there - they come so fast (and you can BH them if need be) that my bigger problem has been keeping those 13-cover copies champed with ISO, much tougher than finding covers to get dupes going.

So I go straight to 266, get all the best rewards as soon as you can, and let the re-build take care of itself. I've only lost a couple of covers that way.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:
    I've been willing to let a few 3* covers die on the vine here and there - they come so fast (and you can BH them if need be) that my bigger problem has been keeping those 13-cover copies champed with ISO, much tougher than finding covers to get dupes going.

So I go straight to 266, get all the best rewards as soon as you can, and let the re-build take care of itself. I've only lost a couple of covers that way.
    Only valid answer.
  • Magic
    Options
    Not really. Going straight to 266 puts in another risk - losing the 4* that you can't apply. For most players who can reliably get to 266 it's probably not a problem at all but when you slowly reach that status with one of your 3* it might be worth considering.
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    That one single 4* cover matters so little in the long run.
    If you still need that one cover you're nowhere near where you should be thinking about 3* dupes.
  • Sendikelm
    Sendikelm Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    As SnowcaTT and Bowgentle said - go to max. I have 20 maxed 3* now, 17 rostered dups, 8 champed. I sold just 2 covers and I don't consider this as lost (iso is welcome too). BH really helps to avoid block.
    My main problem with 3* dups is iso needed to champ them all (HP for slots isn't really a problem for me).
  • cubnad
    cubnad Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ok thanks, guess I'll decide on toon by toon bias 
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I go to max as well.  I've sold a handful of 3* covers that I couldn't apply, but I don't care too much.  Heck, I have a DP red cover in my queue right now that I have no chance of applying before it expires.  I might as well go on and sell it now.

For reference I have 20 maxed 3*s, 18 3* dupes with 9 of those dupes champed.
  • broll
    Options
    Magic said:
    Not really. Going straight to 266 puts in another risk - losing the 4* that you can't apply. For most players who can reliably get to 266 it's probably not a problem at all but when you slowly reach that status with one of your 3* it might be worth considering.
    Certainly important to factor that in.

Bowgentle said:
    If you still need that one cover you're nowhere near where you should be thinking about 3* dupes.
    You are so out of touch with lower level players it's not funny.
  • Bowgentle
    Options
    broll said:

Bowgentle said:

People starting 3* dupes are lower level players now?

M'kay.

• broll
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    broll said:

Bowgentle said:

People starting 3* dupes are lower level players now?

M'kay.

Lower level than you is what I meant.  I'm just hitting my 3* dups and I'm under 50% 4* champed.  So which ones produce useful covers is a serious consideration factor.  Others in my alliance are further along in 3* dups and don't have half as many 4* champs so it's even more of a concern for them.