PvP is demoralizing

Options
Dreck
Dreck Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
The match making and score in PvP is completely unfair. Hours of work and many shields worth of hops can be destroyed in less than a minute. The ability for max champed 5 star teams to queue people 300 or more points above them is ludicrous.  

There is zero chance of winning vs these teams and yet some how the system allows them to farm points with no risk. 

The fix for this is simple too, just don't break mmr up, if there are no similar strength teams to q  then only show them teams below, or reduce points lost when mmr was broken to not have such a huge impact.

People don't play games that are not fun, such a huge bias destroy any sense that a player has a chance to win.  Something needs to change and has for a while but there has been no response to the power gap.

The difference between 5s and 4s is so much larger than any of the other teirs, and with the change to scaling in pve it is becoming clear that unless you have max 5s you will never score in placement in an scl with relevant rewards.

What's the point of playing if you can't win.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dreck said:
    The difference between 5s and 4s is so much larger than any of the other teirs, and with the change to scaling in pve it is becoming clear that unless you have max 5s you will never score in placement in an scl with relevant rewards.

What's the point of playing if you can't win.
    There is no 'winning' in Marvel Puzzle Quest, there is just slow progression and the attempt. Sometimes you score high in an event, sometimes you don't. You're competing against thousands my friend. Getting #1 is a rare treat for anyone, regardless of their roster.

In PvE it's not about your roster, it's about timing. Scaling levels the playing field. A player in 3-star land can do just as well as a player in 5-star land and probably has it easier. Having a 5-star roster doesn't make PvE any easier.

As for PvP - yeah, it's rough out there. My advice? Don't try to win in PvP events. Go for progression prizes and leave it at that. It's not worth banging your head against the placement wall and wasting your HP on shields. If you want to 'win' stick with PvE, clear your subs optimally, and shoot for top 10. PvE is where rosters are built. That's where the covers are, that's where the ISO is, and focusing on it while treating PvP as a side diversion is the key to a much happier life.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed. I have a dozen 4* champs now, all of them below level 280 mind you, and I still don't try very hard for anything beyond 575 in each PVP event. That's 10 CP, 2-3 times per week, which adds up nicely when combined with other CP sources.And if I happen to have a boosted 4* of the week, it deters some (not all) of the beatdowns.

That said, the progression table is still in need of updating.. 800 points for the 3* is woefully, laughably, horrendously, out of date. If 1/2 of a random 4* (with chance at 5*) is available at 575... the 3* should probably be in the 450 range these days.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have never scored top prog in pvp, although I hear it's easier in some slices vs others. I recently tried S5 and got to 5th place with a laughably low score (around 1200)... in my typical slices of S4, that would get me either top 50 or top 100, with top 10 generally being 2000+, which is much more hopping than I'm interested in doing.
  • 10_EFX_01
    10_EFX_01 Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Options
    I agree 100%, valid point. The only players who would disagree are 5* land players. 
    That is why I am all in for the new PvP system they introduced before the new season began.
    Real talk man, thanks for your input.
  • Dreck
    Dreck Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    All the comments seems to agree that it's bad, but none seem to explain why 4s should not be able to compete for placement, and only focus on better progression rewards. PvP needs to have better match making. The way it is now it's like professional spots teams playing vs high school teams. People with 2 max 5s shouldn't be matched vs 4s. Sure 5s fights can be a slog but with the changes earlier to remove cakes all they done is made every one else cakes for the 5s teams.  I really wish we could get an official response explaining why mmr is the way it is, but I suspect the only reason would be to get more people spending on shields 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dreck said:
     People with 2 max 5s shouldn't be matched vs 4s.
    We are not.
    Not until the 4* guys are above 1100 or so.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Dreck said:
    We are not.
    You obviously don't play in less populated shards a lot. I can see them starting at 500-600 in slice 5.

Edit: fixed typo
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ducky said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Dreck said:
    We are not.
    You obviously don't play in less populated shards a lot. I can see them starting at 500-600 in slice 5.

Edit: fixed typo
    Next you'll be telling me to go to s2!