Anyone bothered about game balance any more?

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I've been playing Hour of Devastation. My level 20 Nissa 3, with the help of Rishkar's Expertise and Shefet Monitor, usually gets her ultimate online on turn 4 or earlier. She ploughs through other level 60 planeswalkers.

Anyone bothered about game balance any more? 44 votes

Yes! I wish the game was more balanced!
50%
madwrenshteevHomeRntinyauDodecapodNathanyelStormbringer0Emanon2000ErikInVegasThésée[Deleted User]wereotterUweTellkampfDumasAGtfg76GilescloneDsagentLaeuftbeidirstikxsThuran 22 votes
No! I love slinging powerful things around the field, and I love winning all the time!
9%
andrewvanmarleMainloop25WaschechtNalthazar 4 votes
No! 'People will get bored' is literally the answer to all forms of power creep!
0%
No! I *wish* I had the trouble you have winning everything, shteev! Playing at the level I'm at is great fun, and frankly, anyone who gets to the endgame can go fish!
9%
speakupaskanswerarNeroFurordracoMarvaddin 4 votes
Neutral! I don't care one way or the other! Balanced, unbalanced, it's all the same to me! Jeez, do I have to have an opinion about EVERYTHING? Can't I just play? It's just a game for lawdy's sakes!!! Honestly, you need to get out more. There's more to life than mobile games, you know. Go for a walk, maybe stop to smell a flower. Talk to some people! Get yourself a girlfriend, neckbeard!
22%
bk1234sjechuaOutersiderStormcrowKoneIVSorin81Gunmix25ertaiiSirchombliqwerty 10 votes
Neutral! Frankly I didn't like that other neutral option, it make me sound like a bit of a jerk, so I'd like to vote for this one instead, please.
9%
HoudinTHEMAGICkMANTilwin90deletedgone 4 votes

Comments

• Houdin
    Houdin Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Neutral! Frankly I didn't like that other neutral option, it make me sound like a bit of a jerk, so I'd like to vote for this one instead, please.
    Sorryvi had to @shteev. This is the funniest option in the funniest poll ive ever seen. Seriously though option one for sure. Balance would be good
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Neutral! I don't care one way or the other! Balanced, unbalanced, it's all the same to me! Jeez, do I have to have an opinion about EVERYTHING? Can't I just play? It's just a game for lawdy's sakes!!! Honestly, you need to get out more. There's more to life than mobile games, you know. Go for a walk, maybe stop to smell a flower. Talk to some people! Get yourself a girlfriend, neckbeard!
    I'm not sure exactly what my answer was. I picked the longest one and stopped reading halfway through. 

*edit* I read it -- "neckbeard"?? You just shaved the other day @shteev

The Tinder wouldn't be a bad idea though. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do we really need another long thread about how cycling is broken? 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No! I love slinging powerful things around the field, and I love winning all the time!
    Because I can't choose two, I would have chose both one and two
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No! I *wish* I had the trouble you have winning everything, shteev! Playing at the level I'm at is great fun, and frankly, anyone who gets to the endgame can go fish!
    Frankly, I've all but given up about game balance ever since they NEVER bother about fixing balance-by-rarity issue. Power creep is one thing, rare and mythics which are so blatantly better than lower rarity cards is always stupid.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, the-one-who-shall-not-be-named and his allmighty spreadsheet surely does not care at all
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Especially with cards rotating out, I dont worry or care. The game isn't'supposed to be balanced, some cards are supposed to be better than others, that is the nature of collectible card games. With perfect balance all colors would have the same vanilla creatures etc and everyone would have acces to ALL cards from the outset.

The set up of the game is always imbalanced
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I choose shteev.
  • shteev
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Do we really need another long thread about how cycling is broken? 
    Yes.
  • Emanon2000
    Emanon2000 Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    While I voted for a more balanced game... I don't know that this is even reasonable to ask for.

We have different levels:  Silver, Gold, Etc.
    We have different levels of PW's

But players still find ways around them and purposefully play down to gain greater rewards/win.  Personally, I have all 60's and Platinum.  I say step up or go home.  

If they matched number of wins against each other then there would be a complaint of playing the same players all of the time.  Or some players would start and/or play late so they would always be matched against lower numbers and thus should have easier opponents and likely win more.

Some players are blessed with the right card combos to make winning easy for a level 1 by cycling (or Baral before that, etc)... others can not get the same cards no matter how many packs they pull.  They will always struggle... 

Then the AI doesn't know how to play decks properly.  So a strong deck while played by a Human is unbeatable but may be extremely weak as an AI.

With all of the other issues we come across in this game... Game 'balance' doesn't ever appear to be achievable.  

• shteev
    Options

With all of the other issues we come across in this game... Game 'balance' doesn't ever appear to be achievable. 
    And yet, Magic the Gathering, the game on which MTGPQ is supposedly based, somehow manages it pretty well.
  • Emanon2000
    Options
    And yet, Magic the Gathering, the game on which MTGPQ is supposedly based, somehow manages it pretty well.
    It's not the same though...  

With no trading or purchasing of cards you want or need... AND the fact the game is designed to limit the cards you can get...

Many have no hopes of creating the decks they need or want to be competitive. 

ALSO... We are playing the AI.  The lack of thoughtful decision making makes a HUGE difference between paper and this version.  Like I said before...  "the AI doesn't know how to play decks properly.  So a strong deck while played by a Human is unbeatable but may be extremely weak as an AI."

There are also significant exploits that people use that makes Matchmaking kind of a joke.  I have a hard time blaming the developers on this front.  Trying to create a Matchmaking system to filter out those that would snooker the system seems an almost fruitless effort.

They at least minimized the ability of people leaving Troll decks for others to face rather then decks that have been designed for the event.  I do give Kudos for this!
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options

Yes I have a neckbeard. Though I'd prefer a boyfriend. At least if I'm gonna continue tapping something it might tap back..... 
  • shteev
    Options
    It's not the same though...  

With no trading or purchasing of cards you want or need... AND the fact the game is designed to limit the cards you can get...

Many have no hopes of creating the decks they need or want to be competitive. 

And yet, draft formats in paper MTG blocks are often pretty balanced.
  • Emanon2000
    edited August 2017
    Options

http://oi50.tinypic.com/33lmrkh.jpg

:s   :s   :s   :s   :s
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You forgot to add ... "and I should stop making random troll polls every 24 hours!!!!" lol. When D3 used to have us face decks 30 to 40 levels above us after (April's Update maybe ??) I saw many decks at level 60 that were no were near in power to one at level 30 that had better cards... a card lock is a card lock and cast out doesn't care what level you are

• speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev said:

Still, it took paper MtG years to become balanced. The problem is that the PQ devs don't care about the former devs' experiences and rather make all the same mistakes again.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:

You forgot to add ... "and I should stop making random troll polls every 24 hours!!!!" lol. When D3 used to have us face decks 30 to 40 levels above us after (April's Update maybe ??) I saw many decks at level 60 that were no were near in power to one at level 30 that had better cards... a card lock is a card lock and cast out doesn't care what level you are

I like shteev's polls. 
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Honestly I love this option.
    It's hilarious for someone like me, a person with no life, to tell another person that they should get a life.
  • Doomstat
    Doomstat Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just wish the AI could cycle or perform at a harder level. Coasting through games with no fear of Baral infinite or Dovin/ Kiora cycle gets perty boring after a while.