4*Cyclops is boosted. Will he be unnerfed any time soon ?

aa25
aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
@Brigby

4Cyke is boostd again this week. Will he stayed nerfed without apparent reasons forever now ? Quake and Quick Silver are also got nerfed at the same without any reason. Quake even got nerfed unannounced. Any chance you could follow up with the devs about this ?

Here are the original thread for those who are interested.

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    It wasn't a nerf, it brought powers in line with how they should be working. Adapt and adjust.  I'm sure the devs have more than moved on from this change. 
  • aa25
    Ducky said:
    It wasn't a nerf, it brought powers in line with how they should be working. Adapt and adjust.  I'm sure the devs have more than moved on from this change. 
    Well, if it is announced as a nerf, I would be over it by now. Except it is not and the devs stated that they will monitor the change to make sure that the change has no negative impact to the game. Then, players (we) voiced concerns and comments on this. After that, SW and WM got unnerfed (I can find that thread anymore) with a reason that the change to SW and WM indeed had negative impact to the game. I believe this change does have negative impacts to the game by decreasing utilities of those three characters (Cyke, QS, and Quake). I'm just curious if this point has been left behind already or it is still on the chalk board somewhere.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    SW and WM were very impacted by this change because of the random nature of their CD placement and the extremely limited availability of eligible tiles (the 8 adjacent to said randomly-placed CDs). Excluding Team-Up tiles from the eligible target tiles for those powers was bordering on punishing.

For Cyclops, the change seems merely inconvenient, in the same way that everyone else's "choose a basic tile" powers are occasionally inconvenient. 2* Mags, GSBW, etc
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    aa25 said:
    Ducky said:
    Well, if it is announced as a nerf, I would be over it by now. Except it is not and the devs stated that they will monitor the change to make sure that the change has no negative impact to the game. Then, players (we) voiced concerns and comments on this. After that, SW and WM got unnerfed (I can find that thread anymore) with a reason that the change to SW and WM indeed had negative impact to the game. I believe this change does have negative impacts to the game by decreasing utilities of those three characters (Cyke, QS, and Quake). I'm just curious if this point has been left behind already or it is still on the chalk board somewhere.
    If an ATM kicks out an extra $20 every time you take money out, and then the bank fixes it to dispense money properly, it wasn't "nerfed", it was made to work the way it was intended. Cyclops/QS/etc are now working as they were originally meant to.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is such a non-issue... please.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2017
    The change happened. People complained. Some of the characters were switched back. Cyke was not. I might be dense, but this feels asked and answered already.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    We were told that the changes were made to make power interactions with basic tiles more consistent. Team-up tiles were not to be counted as basic anymore. However:
    1. There is still at least one power that breaks the rule (Demolisher symbiote goon - Chew the Scenery)
    2. Some powers that previously could target only basic tiles were updated to say "basic or team-up tiles" so that the power would not be nerfed (Bullseye's green)
    3. Quake's power description doesn't even say "basic tile"
    My conclusion is that there was another reason that motivated the change. We have not been told what that reason was.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Quake, I think we were meant to understand "destroy up to 5 random tiles of that color" meant they were supposed to be tiles with a color.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    They turned Ironheart into Cyclops 2.0, so I'm fine.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    They turned Ironheart into Cyclops 2.0, so I'm fine.
    I think you meant Cyclops x2 ;)
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Riclops, clearly.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ducky said:
    Your statement does not,change the fact that the effect was to nerf Cyclops slightly.

It's not a big deal. I would like to see it switched back, but the effect is minimal. Cyc doesnt get as much use now because of power creep anyway.  But it is still a nerf.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Ducky said:
    Your statement does not,change the fact that the effect was to nerf Cyclops slightly.

It's not a big deal. I would like to see it switched back, but the effect is minimal. Cyc doesnt get as much use now because of power creep anyway.  But it is still a nerf.
      it's not a nerf if they only fixed him as intended. It's not like he was OP and they dialed him back for that reason. Since it's not a nerf, or they don't consider it a nerf, they probably won't be changing him back.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Ducky said:

Cyclops was released in late 2015. If this was a fix to bring things in line with how they were intended to work, why did it take them a year and a half to do it?

No, this was a broad strokes nerf to anyone who targets basic tiles. A fix would have been implemented much sooner, especially if it was something that was completely overpowered. 

I do agree that this is a non-issue at this point. It's a little annoying but the devs made their choice and it doesn't seem that they care to change it back.  
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Dear OP, please describe the "nerf" that you are you find so upsetting. Did you lose a match to this change? Is Cyclops no longer fun to play? Are you considering selling him?
  • aa25
    Dear OP, please describe the "nerf" that you are you find so upsetting. Did you lose a match to this change? Is Cyclops no longer fun to play? Are you considering selling him?
    My concern is that Cyclops is less fun to play now. He used to be one unique character that brings a lot of puzzle into the match which is very very rare even in the current meta. (Coulson, Mr. Fantastic, and Gwenpool are probably the other who can bring something similar to him, but still not at his level.) Instead of just collecting AP and blast the other team with your highest damage power, Cyclops offers you a set powers to manipulate the board and impressive self-synergy between this three powers. He used to be able to target team-up tile as a target, which I can't anymore. This change limits his flexibility by a decent amount. His blue used to be handy to collect the 10th TU for his red, which is not an option now.

Like I mentioned in original threads, if Cyclops is overpowered and needed to be nerfed, that I'll understand. But why changing how his powers work for consistency with the description, instead of the other way around. (I'm not 100% sure about this and I don't have any screenshot to back me up, the original description of his blue doesn't even say 'basic tile.' It said selected tile, chosen tile, or something like that.)

Like many people have said, may be I'm just being whiny at this point or I'm just too attached to a tiny thing. LoL.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    The nerf was to a strategy: make three team up matches, then get the 10th team up AP by targeting a team up tile with Called Shot to get full damage from Combined Forces. Disabling the ability to target team up tiles took that away, along with giving fewer choices of tiles to target to get the most red tiles gathered by Called Shot. From the perspective of how it used to work, it was a nerf to the power. I don't disagree with the developer's choice, but it's a fair point that allowing Cyclops to target team up tiles would be a quality of life improvement to players that want to use him and wouldn't exactly be a game breaking change.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ducky said:

Cyclops was released in late 2015. If this was a fix to bring things in line with how they were intended to work, why did it take them a year and a half to do it?

Have you.. have you not being paying attention to this company's track record? A year and a half is actually fast!
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    aa25 said:
    My concern is that Cyclops is less fun to play now. He used to be one unique character that brings a lot of puzzle into the match which is very very rare even in the current meta. (Coulson, Mr. Fantastic, and Gwenpool are probably the other who can bring something similar to him, but still not at his level.) Instead of just collecting AP and blast the other team with your highest damage power, Cyclops offers you a set powers to manipulate the board and impressive self-synergy between this three powers. He used to be able to target team-up tile as a target, which I can't anymore. This change limits his flexility.
    That's why I asked, because I too like that his powers manpulate the board and while I agree that it is less flexible, I don't think he has fundamentally changed. I just can't call it a nerf.

Here'a an example. I joined the new PvP with him boosted and found my first opportunity to fire his blue.

There's still a puzzle here to net both red and TU AP. If I had his yellow tile out, I could earn even more. I'll admit that he used to be better at getting match-5's for Prof X and all, but he's still just as good at self-synergy as ever.
  • PresidentDoom2020
    PresidentDoom2020 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    leave Cyclops alone. he's one of those old characters for who you should cut some slack because he was hamstringed with vaulting